I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week Dexter was sick & had runs (but just once) but seemed to get over it quick.

However, since then, he's really off his food. I've tried mixing a bit of water in which seemed to work for a day or so, I've tried mixing in a bit of grated cheddar (his fave), mixing a bit of peanut butter etc. He has eaten a little and has munched on a carrot and some cooked chicken this am. Should I be trying anything else ?

He's currently on Barking Heads Puppy Days but I'm wondering that now he is 6 months maybe I should put him on the adult version (maybe he is bored with it ?) or maybe they don't eat as much now he is not growing so rapidly ?

I offer him 3 meals of 50g each at the moment.

We are off to the vets tomorrow for his adolescent health check & of course I will mention it but I thought there'd be some words of wisdom here too :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I do sympathise, but don't think I will be much help:(

Ted has always been 'faddy' with his food and suffered from 'runs' every couple of weeks.

Although I did find with Ted that his runs cleared up quite quickly, but his appetite (such as it is) takes longer to come back.

You're doing the best thing checking with the vet - but I do think after reading various threads on this webite that poo's are particularly fussy/faddy eaters.

Good luck witht the vet:)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Kody went on and off his food many times. I found that just offering food at his normal times and taking it up when he didnt eat made him less of a fussy eater. I know you worry about your pup not eating but he will when he's hungry.

I hope all is well!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Gisgo did this a week or so ago and I was thinking the same as you - perhaps change up to adult food. This week he is eating just like his old self again. I think they just have times when they are not so hungry and times when they are so I am determined not to worry too much and just stick with it. I do give him a little less now, the puppy days bag guidelines are much reduced for when they get to 6 months old anyway.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I've been struggling with this too and Biscuit has BH too and is probably getting bored of the flavour. He's not interested in it in the morning but will happily have a chicken wing or some mackerel, so must have some appetite. He usually eats it all in the evening though. When I took Biscuit for a weight check at around 6 months they told me to change to adult food as they thought he was heavy enough. However, I didn't agree with it at the time and he was on NI anyway, which doesn't change to a different version. Since being on BH, he has gained another 2kg but is not at all fat but has just continued growing into a more adult muscular body which I feel he needed the right nutrients for. As BH states the Puppy Days is for up until 12 months, I am going to leave him on it for as long as I can.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the vet was happy with him & didn't seem worried about his food. He said that Dex is probably a bit bored with the BH so either jazz it up with a bit of egg, cheese, wet dog food or change brand. What he did say was that it was too early for adult food.

So I think I'll go down the jazzed up route & see. I may get a small bag of Fish4dogs as he loves their treats & jerky and mix a spoonful into his normal food.

Unfortunately though he still has the yeast build up in his ears so back to daily drops & cleaning for him, bless, and then back to vet on 2 weeks to see if its cleared up then.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And so it seems that Lord Dexter will eat his kibble so long as its mixed with some freshly cooked chicken breast !

Sent from my iPhone
Lisa - mum of 3 boys, Dexter Cockapoo & 4 hens !

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Ah it's always the way isn't it!! Although you might find it's just a phase. Maybe a 'summer phase' as I've only noticed it since the first hot weather arrived. He literally went crazy for it before that and used to bark as I opened the pack! I'm going to stick with it as I think they seem to have a good variety of adult flavours when the time comes. I also find a kong wobbler helps when he is being fussy as he likes to chase it around and just hoovers up the food then! x

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
It can be trial and error when they go off their food. You eventually find the right balance and think great I've cracked it. Only to discover they go off the new improved meal you are offering :rolleyes:

I do a mix of BH and NI now. I leave BH down all day as its dry and give NI twice a day. If she doesn't eat it, I take it up after about 30 mins (probably longer sometimes if I'm distracted). But at least I know if she does get hungry she always has the BH to tuck into.:)

It seems to be working, touch wood. She will invariably choose NI over BH, but will definitely eat a mouthful or two of BH at the same time. Which is not ideal due to different digestion rates, but it works for us. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.