I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

Having poured over the internet for hours and hours and spoken to lots of different breeders, I have finally found one that sounds lovely and trustworthy, but my next dilemna is that they offer both English and American cockapoos. I have google-imaged both breeds and the same pictures pop up for both! I would really, really appreciate it if you would be able to upload pics of your gorgeous cockapoos and let me know if they are English or American.

Thank you so much!

Newbie xx

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Take a look at this link to see pics and videos of Flo. She is an English Working x Miniature poodle.

As well as American v English you may also spot slight differences between English Working v English Show crosses. Physically show cockers have a more domed head which you might see in the resulting litter of crosses. Also the temprament of a working cocker can be different to a show as the working cockers may be much more energetic from working stock and the resulting cockapoos might want just a bit more exercise and mental stimulation than a more laid back show cross.

http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd390/flothecockapoo/

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mandy! Unfortunately it's asking me for a password.

Right! More research required re working v show spaniels!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
hey welcom im from scotland, where about are you from. i know of a number or labradoodlas doing gundog training and a couple of cockapoos.
this is what Echo looked like when she was 5 months old to see what the differen is as i know she is curlier than my lot were at her age. Echo is an English cockepoo Delta is an American

Echo and Delta at 8weeks old

Echo about 5 months old and Delta 5 months

and this is from another forum on the left is an English cockapoo on the right is an american

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh my goodness! I am so puppy broody!! I want a big cuddle with all of your dogs.

I'm based in Sussex, near Brighton.

Dylan is gorgeous. Interesting as I assumed all cockapoos would have long, floppy ears like poodles and spaniels?

Echo and Delta are scrumptious too!

I would be over the moon with any of them. Maybe I should stop sweating the minor points (esp as there's no guarantee which traits they'll inherit) and just go with the breeder I have the best vibe from?

Thanks for your help!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
personaly i prefer the English face as i like the longer sloping nose, but i wouldnt swap
delta for the world.

how small a dog are you wanting Toy or Mini. all my girls are mini cross and range Delta american in 14 " Echo English is 17" Inca English is 17 1/2 " Gypsy English 16 1/2" (all masured to the sholder)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Maybe I should stop sweating the minor points (esp as there's no guarantee which traits they'll inherit) and just go with the breeder I have the best vibe from?
Think you are right. The differences are quite subtle and how they look will also depend on how you get them clipped. Dylan definitely has the high energy of the working cockers, though. As regards size, I wanted a small dog and got a toy poodle cross. I think he is quite large for a toy cross, but some of the miniature crosses I have seen are really big. Others are similar size to Dylan, so they do vary a lot. But basically, if you definitely want as small a dog as poss, go for a toy cross. If you prefer a larger dog, go for a miniature, but neither seems to be a complete guarantee! Happy hunting!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Its great you have the option (though I know too much choice can be harder sometimes!). When I was looking it seemed like we only had American cockers over here so I got one by default. Either way I'm sure it will be lovely! And, as others have said, you never know what it might turn out like in the end so just find a puppy you think is cute (from a good breeder) and have at it! :)

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
My pup is an American cocker but didn't mind either way we didn't know till we got her home actually since we fell in love so fast :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
hi there,
I was told that the American Cockapoo has more spaniel looks. we have Murphy who is 4 months old now, but he is a second generation cockapoo originally from American spaniel. he definitely looks more spaniel than poodle. he is beautiful, full of fun and mischief.
we love him sooo much and i can see us getting another x

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
hi there,
I was told that the American Cockapoo has more spaniel looks. we have Murphy who is 4 months old now, but he is a second generation cockapoo originally from American spaniel. he definitely looks more spaniel than poodle. he is beautiful, full of fun and mischief.
Once you've got one you just cant help yourself lol.. yeh I spent ages wondering/worrying English/American,working/show and as you can see and hear from everyone on here we've all got lovely dogs so I agree go with the breeder who answers your questions and who you trust .. happy searching x

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Take a look at this link to see pics and videos of Flo. She is an English Working x Miniature poodle.

As well as American v English you may also spot slight differences between English Working v English Show crosses. Physically show cockers have a more domed head which you might see in the resulting litter of crosses. Also the temprament of a working cocker can be different to a show as the working cockers may be much more energetic from working stock and the resulting cockapoos might want just a bit more exercise and mental stimulation than a more laid back show cross.

http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd390/flothecockapoo/
You should be able to access this album now... and agree with Dylansmum as a lot of the way they look depends on how their coat is cut. When you look at the pics of Flo you'll see she looks like a different dog depending on whether she is really long, after her 'poodle cut' (which I hated) and now (which I do) where she has a really 'clean' face - that's the pic below.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
hi there,
Have you got any pics of Murphy, would love to see how he looks now...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Mandy! She is absolutely gorgeous!! May I ask where you got Flo from? I see you are in the South East. I live just outside Brighton and most of the breeders I've found are up North - which is fine, I am very happy to travel as far as I need to - but it would obviously be lovely if I could find a breeder closer so I could maybe visit a couple of times until I can bring pup home...

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Thanks Mandy! She is absolutely gorgeous!! May I ask where you got Flo from? I see you are in the South East. I live just outside Brighton and most of the breeders I've found are up North - which is fine, I am very happy to travel as far as I need to - but it would obviously be lovely if I could find a breeder closer so I could maybe visit a couple of times until I can bring pup home...
Flo came from a home breeder who just had one litter with one of her two spaniels so can't help there. Try this link http://www.breedersonline.co.uk/puppies-for-sale.asp?breed=Cockapoo and this one http://www.preloved.co.uk/fuseactio...k/subcat-Dogs/keyword-cockapoos/5e16ca80.html. Also epupz http://epupz.co.uk/search/puppies_for_sale.asp?breed=Miniature Poodle&area=all&st=1

I found Flo's litter on Preloved. If you subscribe then you get daily emails at 8.30 each day with any new ads.

But do make sure you find a good breeder whether large scale or home and check all relevant heath tests have been done. Some people I called when looking for a puppy didn't even know what kind of cocker they had???

I also visited Jukee Doodles who seem really good - you can find them on Breedersonline and others on forum can probably recommend breeders they got their babies from.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Flo came from a home breeder who just had one litter with one of her two spaniels so can't help there. Try this link http://www.breedersonline.co.uk/puppies-for-sale.asp?breed=Cockapoo and this one http://www.preloved.co.uk/fuseactio...k/subcat-Dogs/keyword-cockapoos/5e16ca80.html. Also epupz http://epupz.co.uk/search/puppies_for_sale.asp?breed=Miniature Poodle&area=all&st=1

I found Flo's litter on Preloved. If you subscribe then you get daily emails at 8.30 each day with any new ads.

But do make sure you find a good breeder whether large scale or home and check all relevant heath tests have been done. Some people I called when looking for a puppy didn't even know what kind of cocker they had???

I also visited Jukee Doodles who seem really good - you can find them on Breedersonline and others on forum can probably recommend breeders they got their babies from.

that is bad, when my mum was looking For gypsy and when she sometimes cotacts breeders just to ask questions, my mum always asks them lots of questions, and at least 2 if not more cam back saying "do you want the f***ing dog or not" its reticules. so ask lots of questions about mum and dad and health tests.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
One guy, although it was email, just never answered when i was asking questions and I know he had nt sold the pups cos kept advertising for weeks afterwards another woman advertised cockapoo pups but they ended up F1b ( cockapoo x poodle ) dont think she would have told me if I had nt asked about the parents.
I can see the difference between American and English but not sure I can spot the difference between show and working cockapoos x

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'll post a few pics flo is a year and 5 months old and is an English minature Cockapoo (shes the black one) the pics range from her being about 6weeks thru to now and Nell is an American minature Cockapoo and I can only post puppy pics of her because she's only 9.5 weeks old. Hope this helps...
Flo...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts