I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - our girls are 17 weeks old now. I have a couple of questions regarding toilet training.

1. They both go in a crate together at night. In the crate is their bed and some newspaper. We let them in last thing at night (around 10.30 pm) and then let them out at around 7 a.m. When we first got them home the crate was dry for a few nights then ever since we have had a wee in the crate. I know they don't want to wet in their beds so wondered if I should fill the gap where the paper is with blankets (in other words extend their bed) so they won't wee or should I leave it as it is hoping one day the crate will stay dry?

2. They are fairly good at having a wee outside and often go to the door to be let out but recently they have not been completely emptying their bladders outside and want to finish it off on the carpet a few minutes later. I know they don't have full bladder control until around 6 months but not sure if the accidents indoors are because of that or they are just lazy and can't be bothered to go outside properly. We really praise them when they go outside and then can't believe it when 2 minutes later they go indoors!:confused:

Sometimes I feel they are never going to be fully toilet trained!:(

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Sue:)

· Administrator
5,034 Posts
when do they last gpo for a pee before bed, when do that have a dirink before bed.
have you tried letting them out at night for a pee(not talking or playing just out on a lead to pee then bed but with two you might need hubby up so they dont play with each other )

as for peeing if you know they arent finished dont let them back in the house or put them in their crate, then take them out for another try.

use a command, "pee pee" "get busy" "be clean" "wiz" "hurry up" just some one the toilet commands i have hered being used. that way they pee where and when you want them too. that way you can get both to pee at the same time.

· Registered
695 Posts
Hi Sue:)

They are still very young and toilet training will go on for a little longer yet;) We had similar problems around this stage so at night for last toilet we would take them out individually even just a 5 min walk around the block one at a time.

We only had puppy pads in the crate for a week as they were clean from the second night so they got removed:cool:

Sometimes when having two pups they are so engrossed in each other they nipp off their toileting because the other one's up to something else far more interesting so you need to stay a little longer to ensure they have done all their toileting, as you say they do not yet have full control of their bladder.

These things take time and there is no hard and fast time scale on it just stick with it stay patient and you will get there:)

Mick:)

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when do they last gpo for a pee before bed, when do that have a dirink before bed.
have you tried letting them out at night for a pee(not talking or playing just out on a lead to pee then bed but with two you might need hubby up so they dont play with each other )

as for peeing if you know they arent finished dont let them back in the house or put them in their crate, then take them out for another try.

use a command, "pee pee" "get busy" "be clean" "wiz" "hurry up" just some one the toilet commands i have hered being used. that way they pee where and when you want them too. that way you can get both to pee at the same time.
We let them out last thing at night before we go to bed. Their crate is in the back room and we are on 2nd floor so can't hear them if they whine. Quite a few people have said not to get up to them in middle of the night because they get used to it and then we will create a rod for our own backs.

We take their water away at around 8 pm.

We say "out" when they go in the garden and then say "go toilet". Once they have been we praise them and say "good toilet Sophie" (or Daisy as the case may be).

They squat for quite a while so we think they have emptied their bladders but then they finish off indoors, They don't do this every time but have started doing it recently.

I don't want to get stressed about it because I think they pick up on it.

Thanks for your advice.

Sue:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.