I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed Dexter from Beta puppy food to Origin puppy food pretty soon after I first got him (he didn't seem to like the Beta much) and he has been on it for 2 weeks now. He was weighed at the vet's yesterday while having his last jab and had put on no weight at all. The vet says I must put him on another food but I'm really not sure which one. She suggested one that she sells but I want to do a bit more research first rather than try different types out on him. Any ideas? He is definitely a fussy eater and there are very few treats he likes too.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I know I bang on about it, but NI really does tick all the boxes. I can't see any reason not to feed it, unless you have no freezer space, and I'd be surprised if Dexter didn't love it. For a puppy you give 4-6% of their body weight daily, spread over 3 or 4 meals. There is also a vet in Farnham (Shortheath Veterinary Surgery) that supplies it, if you are anywhere near that.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
has he been eating it without too mucb fuss. you coupd try just uping how much food your giving him.

i was paranoid about Deltas weight and she wwnt through a phaze of not putting on anything for a while then had a big groth spurt.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
has he been eating it without too mucb fuss. you coupd try just uping how much food your giving him.

i was paranoid about Deltas weight and she wwnt through a phaze of not putting on anything for a while then had a big groth spurt.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dexter never finishes the food in his bowl. In fact he needs to be really encouraged to eat at all. He just nibbles a bit here and there, then I remove it after 15 min. Ever since I got him he has never really been interested in his food or treats (well he likes cheerios) He was the only one at puppy playschool who didn't like the treats they were offered. I have been told to bring my own as it's quite hard to reward him.
I really like the sound of NI but I am extremely short of freezer space and don't envisage buying a freezer just for him. I'd rather go for a bag of dried food or pouches of wet food.
It maybe that he doesn't like crunching the dry food although i have tried adding water to it- he wasn't that impressed either!
I think he is just a bit of a fuss- pot!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I really like the sound of NI but I am extremely short of freezer space and don't envisage buying a freezer just for him. I'd rather go for a bag of dried food or pouches of wet food.
If you want a wet food, then Nature Diet is very good, but I think it would be important to give bones as well to keep the teeth clean. If it's just the freezer space that's putting you off NI, you could buy it in a small quantity from the vet in Farnham or minimum of 5kg from NI direct. 5 kg takes up very little freezer space.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funnily enough I have just bought a pouch of Nature Diet (for puppies) for Dexter to try and I think he thought he'd died and gone to heaven! He absolutely loved it and I have never seen him eat with such enthusiasm. I also bought their soft puppy treats too.
I have also bought a bag of raw meaty veal bones from my local farmers market today (all the dog owners were buying them) so I will give him one during his crazy bitey stage this evening!
I haven't by any means given up the idea of NI. Farnham is about 30 min away from me but I am sure I could fit in the smaller 5kg amounts in my fridge-freezer if NI direct will deliver them that size.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I think a lot of puppies try to tell you what they like and dont like (so does my grandaughter:) Teddy was the same as a puppy, but hasn't looked back since I gave him the wet trays (I use Wainwrights now - high meat content) with a little kibble for the texture. I also bought a packet of minced raw tripe last week and he had his first taste of raw and loved it. I had previously tried him with a raw chicken wing but he didn't seem interested and just buried it but he seems to have changed now, so I may have to give some thought to the 'big changeover':confused:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Had the same problem with Poppy, getting her to eat and slow weight gain. Tried all sorts to get her to eat adding chicken, liver, or raw eggs too her food. Changed her food a couple of times eventually using Burns which she would wolf down.
After reading the food threads and Dylansmum mentioning Applaws, and then finding Pets at Home stocked it, I though that I would give it a try. Poppy has taken to it straight away, and its not in her bowl very long.
When we got Rosie see was on Beta Puppy, and on her first feed I gave it to her wet she turned her nose up at it. I thought here we go again. But when I put Poppy's bowl down Rosie was into it but the kibbles are a bit too big, she did munch on it for quite a while. I then gave the Beta dry and she ate it so no eating problems this time, apart from keeping her out of Poppy's bowl.
Ive found a mail order company that has Applaws at a lot cheaper price and have ordered a large sack of adult food and some puppy food. Why does Puppy food only come in small bags.
The raw option would be no good for me as I don't have any space for a second freezer.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
A while ago a forum member, Enneirda from Texas, posted several food review sites in a thread discussion re food. It was at the time I was looking to change to a different food from Burns and I read through the food reviews. One of the sites discussed Applaws and it was criticised for not being a complete food (admitted by the producers). I didn't bother to look into it, but it might be worth finding out why it is not 'complete'. You could search Enneirda's threads to find the food review websites or ask Kendal to put the links up.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Wainwrights

We are just moving Eddie onto the wet food in the Wainwright range. It is a natural diet and as it is a Pets at Home brand it is the cheapest (but good quality) option.

He had completely gone off his complete dried food and we did some price and quality comparisons and this costs the same as buying a 15kg sack of for example Arden Grange's natural diet.

He loves it! And the cats decided they wanted some too - may have to look if they do a cat range?! :)

·
Registered
720 Posts
A while ago a forum member, Enneirda from Texas, posted several food review sites in a thread discussion re food. It was at the time I was looking to change to a different food from Burns and I read through the food reviews. One of the sites discussed Applaws and it was criticised for not being a complete food (admitted by the producers). I didn't bother to look into it, but it might be worth finding out why it is not 'complete'. You could search Enneirda's threads to find the food review websites or ask Kendal to put the links up.
The review is by pet-food-choice.co.uk, and it does not say if its the wet or dry that does not contain the vitamins or minerals, and did make me do a bit of research. The list of ingredients analysis contained:- calcium, phosphorous, vitamin's A D3 and E, copper, tocopherl, DHA and EPA. This is the same or better than Beta or Burns add, but none of the artificial colourants, flavourings or preservatives that are in Beta.
So from this I think it must be the wet food they criticized. May email Applaws for more details.

Edit

Just been to a pet shop that has Applaws wet food, no reference to vitamins or minerals on packaging.

http://www.pet-food-choice.co.uk/Applaws_cat_dog_food.htm

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Wilf was always a really fussy eater and needed tempting into eating he could go 3 days without eating but would never turn down a chicken wing. Tessy if your only 30mins drive away you could buy NI as and when... or buy a couple of trays and then cut them up into portion sizes that can fit around other stuff in your freezer. x

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Betty has been very fussy with food but LOVES Naturediet, so much so she'll lie and wait by her bowl for her dinner and i have managed to get her to put some weight on with it too. She loves the food so much now she goes back and licks the bowl!!!

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jules- Dexter is just like Betty he loves Naturediet. I can't see the need to change if he is so happy on it and I can get it round the corner from my petshop. Hopefully he will have put on weight at his next weigh-in on Thursday. I like the rectangular packs too- so convenient for dividing up and also for storing in my food cupboard!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Jules- Dexter is just like Betty he loves Naturediet. I can't see the need to change if he is so happy on it and I can get it round the corner from my petshop. Hopefully he will have put on weight at his next weigh-in on Thursday. I like the rectangular packs too- so convenient for dividing up and also for storing in my food cupboard!
i am the same as its really easy to work out how much to give them and it looks and smells like proper meat and veg. My friend and i think it looks a lot like a pate!

Once i found Naturediet i gave up on kibble as this at least looks and smells more appealing!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Maisie used to like Naturediet too but went off it. Sorry to ask a daft question but do you defrost NI before serving? :eek::eek:

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
The NI alternative around here says you don't have to defrost it completely...when I fed it to lady It was still cold but not frozen

1 - 20 of 46 Posts