I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow!

I feel so excited! We have finally decided which breed to go for after 2 years of thinking and searching and waiting (also for our children to be the right age ... my youngest turns 8 in Feb).

So... can you guess which breed? Cockapoo of course!

We went to Discover Dogs today and discovered what we really liked were the two lovely Cockapoos in the Training Ring ... why we spent so much time there I'll never know ... maybe it was just meant to be! But, after visiting the breeds we had chosen we decided those cute great happy beautiful dogs we saw in the Training Ring were the ones.

This wasn't the first time we had been introduced to the breed ... I've done a lot of research on Cockapoos as well. It was the only mix that I thought would really work for our family (kids have allergies/ asthma, house is English - so on the small size). A friend who is a groomer recommended the breed, then 4 others at Discover Dogs did today as well! Plus we love finding them in parks and having a good pet - when I walk my children :)!! LOL!

Well, can't wait for my new baby! I work from home so can't wait for the company :). We'll have fun :). (And I'm finally ready again for the sleepless nights, daytime accidents and "bed" wetting :)).

Any recommendations for breeders would be SO welcome. I've got a list from Breeders Online I am going to call (can't get the website email to work), but really want to find a reputable recommended breeder.

We're hoping to welcome our Cockapoo home sometime in Jan/ Feb time :).

Look forward to getting to know more of you and your dogs and maybe even meeting up with some Cockerpoo lovers in St Albans - we're not too far.

Regards,

Suzy

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Hi Suzy :)
I've commented on another thread already, but what cocker x poodle cross do you think you will be looking for?
As far as recommendations go I can only recommend from personal experience which is Anzil cockapoos (we have two from there) they're both great :D & he does the relevant health tests & lets all his dogs in the house and things!
Anthony at Anzil breeds both english show cockers x miniature poodles & also american cockers x minature poodles.
x

·
Registered
720 Posts
Welcome to the forum Suzy.

I see Cockapoo's tick all the right box's for you and a great choice. They are great with children if a bit boisterous at times, we have 5 grandchildren and they all adore our 2 but sometimes we have to have time out and put the children in the crate.:D for a bit off peace.
Take your time looking and visit the breeders on your list, don't let your heart rule your head, and find the breeder you feel most happy with, you may have to wait longer than you though, but for the right puppy it will be the right chose.

Keep us posted on your search, and check the Cockapoo meets section for a meet close to you and go along it will help you with your choice of cross as we all have our preference, but seeing them all play I would have any combination if I was too get another ( but I'm not allowed:D).

Looking forward too your posts.
Colin

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hi I found my puppy through Breeders online it was I think fate I had just lost my terrier after 15 years and when I logged on the first ad was for a breeder about 25 miles from me! The rest is history and Hattie comes home next week. Depends how far you want to travel really. Go with your instincts make sure you get all the right paperwork and see one or both parents WITH the puppies so you know they actually are their parents! Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Benji
How exciting! We're also in the process of looking for breeder recommendations for Spring next year. We're near High Wycombe, Bucks. Would love to know how you get on and if you could pass on any advice. We're ideally looking for a home breeder.

Good luck!:)

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Hi Suzy
Congratulations on pinning down your choice of puppy to a cockapoo.

I found Breeders on line very useful when I was looking for my puppy. I guess your next decision is English or American Cocker and Working or Show Cocker. Then poodle x, tiny, minature (most common) or standard.

I live in St Albans, so happy to meet up. I have a show cocker x and my sister in law, who's also in St Albans has a working cocker x. We're often walking in Verulam park, usually early 8.15am, but could delay our walk if you fancy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congratulations on pinning down your choice of puppy to a cockapoo.

I found Breeders on line very useful when I was looking for my puppy. I guess your next decision is English or American Cocker and Working or Show Cocker. Then poodle x, tiny, minature (most common) or standard.

I live in St Albans, so happy to meet up. I have a show cocker x and my sister in law, who's also in St Albans has a working cocker x. We're often walking in Verulam park, usually early 8.15am, but could delay our walk if you fancy.
Aw! Thanks MillieDog! would love to walk in Veralumium Park sometime - 8:15am would be a bit too early for me since I've got to get the kids to school in Bedfordshire :) LOL!

I know I don't want a dog as small as an American x with toy poo or as anything as big as a Standard ... do reputable breeders do Standard x Cocker- seems like a funny mix of size?

What are the differences between a Show Cocker and a Working mix?

Ta

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Most reptuable breeders 'generally' will cross miniature poodles with english show & working cockers, a lot cross the American with the miniature as well, but toys can be crossed with americans because of sizes. Not many breeders cross with standard poodles as it is too big & the mum is generally the cocker spaniel which may make birth much more difficult! I'd feel bad for the cocker mum is they had to give birth to pups crossed with standard poodles anyway put it that way :S

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hi
I have seen some very handsome standard cross cockers.
In each instance the mum was the standard poodle with a cocker.
Very similar to a mini labradoodle, which is mum lab and dad is a mini poo.
Personally I don't know of any pro breeders of these mixes.
A

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Hi Benji, congrats on your choice! Vincent is the best thing to ever happen to me and my boyfriend :D We love him!

He is a working English cocker x mini poodle mix and right now is around 12 inches tall, we think he's going to be big(ish!). I think if you want the medium sized cockapoo the english cocker x mini poodle is the best bet, although I think it is all down to fate!! You never know until they're older!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts