I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything is going well with Remi. He follows me out to the yard when I say, "Potty outside." This last time, we were out in the yard and he picked something up and started eating it. I went over immediately and removed it from his mouth and threw it. He then picked up something else, which appeared to maybe be part of a mushroom, as we have had a lot of rain. When I tried to take it from his mouth, he growled and snarled at me! :eek: I took it from him regardless and rolled him over into a submissive hold. He yelped quite a bit and I held him there until he stopped struggling. He has NEVER shown any behavior like this in the little over a week I have had him. I put my hands in his food and make sure he is raised used to that.
Any ideas what this was? Was he maybe just overly rambunctious? I hope he doesn't have a mean streak. I did not scold him other than the hold and simply brought him indoors and placed him in his crate, where he is sleeping now. I refuse to let him act like that!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
i wouldnt wory. what he had was of high value to him he wants to protect it. but he needs to learn you can take things from him. so start taking toys, chews etc away from him then giving them back or giving something different as a reward. teach him to trade. ie if he has a ball and wants you to chase him dont chase him get another ball and bounce it. a moving ball that you have is far more interesting than the static one in his mouth. this way he should be willing to give up most items. use a command, 'drop it' 'thank you' 'give' 'mine'. etc that way when you say thd command he should give you the object.

but dont worry he is just pushing the boundrys trying to work out if he can be top dog.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts