I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dexter was a dream dog as far as house-training was concerned so was my last boy a cavalier. My little Bonnie is like a constant dripping tap! She wees whenever she gets excited which is pretty much all the time! It's only a trickle but she is sprinkling throughout my house! I know it is early days and she is still very young but I did think by now she would have got the hang of hanging on a bit! She is very good at doing the rest of her business outside. Has anyone else had this experience?

·
Registered
82 Posts
It is early days for her yet. Milo was about 4 months before we could say he was house trained. Unfortunately he still has the odd accident, especially when he is excited and even though the door is open. He will wake us up in the night or will occasionally bark if he wants to go out, other times he just scratches at the door. He is 9 months now.

My neighbour who has a cocker spaniel says it took hers about 2 years!

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Ah little Bonnie is so cute, congrats on your new baby!! Perhaps you were lucky with your two boys, weller also trained quite quickley but I doubt it was anything to do with being a boy. She is still a very young baby and I would count ANY control as a bonus at the moment :D

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Don't think it matters tbh, Izzie was much quicker to house train (maybe because it was only her), Poppy seems to have gotten it though now when she was about 4 months, although obviously accidents will always happen til a certain age.

I think they were both quite quick though bearing in mind 4 months is pretty good (only be home a couple of months). Never had boys so ca't comment on differences though.

Although Izzie always used to wee just outside the door on the step when we'd come home & she was excited :D But Poppy never did, the excitement weeing might be a girl thing?

·
Registered
161 Posts
My boy had odd accident as from 12 weeks. Has only ever done business in his crate a handful of times and that was ages ago. He holds on for hours when I take kids to the cinema. I can say he is potty trained.

·
Registered
853 Posts
It took Nacho up until about 4 months of age to completely get the hang of it too so I think it just depends on the individual pup. - Saying that Nacho pooed everywhere the other day (upset tummy) - He ate something he should'nt again (luckily not a golf ball this time), so there will always be the odd hiccup! Always have some dettox and 1001 spray in the cupboards :)

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Don't think it can be a gender thing ... all of mine were pretty good at mastering it, had late accidents due to it raining outside and couldn't be bothered to go out and get wet, I know naughty puppies, but all pretty good really ... just each dog is different I think...

I am sure it will all fall into place with Bonnie xxx

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Beau has always been pretty good - she runs to any door in the house whether internal or external and bounces off it to let us know she needs to go out! She did wee on my bed whilst I was at work the other day but I think it was because Madeleine had forgotten to let her out when she came in and then didn't pay attention to the door bouncing so it was Beau's way of telling us she was fed up :eek: My brother has an 18 month old male Patterdale Terrier who is a constant fountain so I don't think gender comes into it :)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Izzy is/was a b........ Nightmare! She asks to go out but will wee on the floor if we are not there. Whenever I think - great - she hasn't done it for weeks, I find a puddle the next morning. I haven't had one for a few weeks now, so am hoping! The biggest problem I had was training her throughout the house. She spends most of her time in the kitchen and breakfast room. When she was in other areas of the house she would often sneak off and wee anywhere. The last few weeks seem to have been fine - she is 20 months old !!!

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Izzy is/was a b........ Nightmare! She asks to go out but will wee on the floor if we are not there. Whenever I think - great - she hasn't done it for weeks, I find a puddle the next morning. I haven't had one for a few weeks now, so am hoping! The biggest problem I had was training her throughout the house. She spends most of her time in the kitchen and breakfast room. When she was in other areas of the house she would often sneak off and wee anywhere. The last few weeks seem to have been fine - she is 20 months old !!!
Fingers crossed for you Cara that she has FINALLY got the hang of it then :)

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I only have my experience to go on but yes! My boys were clean by 4 months and 4 1/2 months, but Darcey was nearly 7 months before we could really trust her.
I've never had a male dog but Bess has only been reliable during the day since Xmas - she's 7 months. (However she's not good at night :eek:)

Maisie on the other hand was/is brilliant, they are all different! :)

I've only ever had bitches, but my experience of human babies was the other way round , my boys just couldn't be bothered :D
Ha ha ... my boys (human) were just the same! :D

Hi Cara :) maybe Izzy has got the hang of it now. x

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the advice.
I meant to add that Bonnie is perfectly content to wee in her crate as well! I think it's the sight of me coming to let her out that gets her going and I never seem to get there quick enough! She also seems to wee the second after she wakes up and I can never get her outside quick enough, although this weekend I am following her around obsessively! Dexter is watching me as if he thinks I'm crazy!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Dexter was a dream dog as far as house-training was concerned so was my last boy a cavalier. My little Bonnie is like a constant dripping tap! She wees whenever she gets excited which is pretty much all the time! It's only a trickle but she is sprinkling throughout my house! I know it is early days and she is still very young but I did think by now she would have got the hang of hanging on a bit! She is very good at doing the rest of her business outside. Has anyone else had this experience?
Hi Tess,

Congratulations on Bonnie!
I'm reading from your post that it is not so much puddling when she needs it but trickling when she is excited. She is still very young and I think some pups are just prone to this. I dog-mind a wire haired Vizsla three days a week and have done since she was 8 weeks old. She was a nightmare with her excited sprinkling especially when I picked up her lead to put on. Whenever she went into a 'sit' she would do a small wee. It got to the stage where I had to hide her lead up my jumper and take her out onto my patio to put her lead on - at least that saved my floors! I kept mentioning this to her owners in the hope that they would mention it to a vet in case there was any underlying condition. They never did but I have to say she has improved.

She is nearly six months old and it is now only very rarely that it happens. Her 'excited trickle' bladder control has matured at about the same time as she (and most dogs) have generally become more reliable about the house.

I hope that this has helped. Someone with more knowledge or experience may be able to give you advice. However, if you are still concerned then a visit to the vets may put your mind at rest.

Karen xx

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.