I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would share with you the story of how I got Dylan and see if anyone else has a tale of fate v coincidence, or any views on it.
I had a cavalier spaniel from puppy who died aged 17. After his death I had a few months break and then looked for a rescue dog. I took on a 1 year old samoyed and it was a complete disaster and after 9 months of struggling and tears finally had to rehome her. After that I decided to remain dog-free, but without a dog I was just working all the time, not getting any exercise and getting stressed and tired. So eventually I reached the conclusion that another dog was inevitable for me to have a balanced life, but I was really wary of making another mistake, and was convinced that "our dog" was out there somewhere, waiting for us. I decided on a Papillon, and looked everywhere for one about a year old. We went to see one, loved the breed but the one for sale was nervous and miserable - not at all the temperament we wanted. I then settled on some to view, but by the time the day came to view, only one was left, and that was a puppy about 3 hours away. I then started to get cold feet about the idea of a Papillon puppy and started looking at Cockapoos, which my daughter had suggested. I felt much more confident about a cockapoo puppy than a Papillon. We found a litter fairly close and went to see them that afternoon. We drove up and down this lane looking for the entrance to the property and saw a huge sign saying "PAPILLON". It was the name of the house opposite the entrance! We chose Dylan without any doubts and when we looked at his papers we saw that he was born on our wedding anniversary! He was completely settled with us from the moment we got him - we had found "our dog" without a shadow of doubt. So.......Fate or coincidence???

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Fate - he was out there waiting for you.

I looked for ages for a puppy and started my journey longing for a dark apricot girl but just couldn't find one. I had almost settled on a breeder, and waited for the litter to arrive but when they appeared they were all black. I was disappointed but convinced myself that would be fine (nothing against black dogs by the way but for some reason my initial search was for a gold girl). That morning I got an automatic email alert from Preloved and - lo and behold - a fantastic home breeder had a gorgeous gold litter or 4 girls and 2 boys. I called and was the first caller. Later that day I sent an email saying said my preference would be for the darkest girl with least white. Of the 4 girls there was only one with just a little white and as the breeder read my email, Flo woke up. She held up sleepy Flo, took a photo and emailed it back within minutes. Everything had just fallen into place - I had found my lovely gold girl.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
we went about 10 years without a dog after my mums cockers died, Haig and i were at school and my mum was working so noone was home.

when my mum had innes she decided that the time was right and that kids should grow up with dogs, she considered several breeds but her heart was still with the cocker but didn't want to go back to the hairs.

somehow she found the cockapoo which she thought was perfect as her dog growing up was a black poodle and ours were the cockers so the mix was perfect.

unfortunately we were struggling to find a breeder and mum was considering shipping one from the US, but didn't like the idea of a puppy in quarantine(have since found out that it is a lot more complicated are we couldn't have got a pup, would have had to arrange with the breeder to keep her till a year old)

i was pestering my mum about a cockapoo puppy, so my mum (half joking) looked up to the sky when driving (not the best decision lol)
and started talking to my Gran(Gran died a couple of years before, and my mum is a strong believer in spirits) asking her to find her granddaughter a cockapoo puppy

anyway we came home that night and found a breeder who had a litter, but unfortunately only had two gold boys left and we were after a gold girl. the breeder said she had a litter due in a couple of weeks that would have golds and blacks so we put our name down for a gold.

my ant came over and i was jumping about like mad, mum told me to get my laptop to show my ant the breeders add. when i did the add had changed saying one gold girl available due to cancellation. my mum called her up and the breeder said she had been waiting on us to call, she said if she hadn't herd from us in another couple of hours she was offering her to someone els. she had had i think 20 or 40 emailed since changing the add. anyway we she asked our permission to do a police check etc and Gypsy was ours. she said she would take out name off the list for the other litter and mum said no just change it to a black and pick a contrast to our Gypsy.

mum always new she was going to get a gold and a black as that was what she had in cockers. she is top this day convinced that Gypsy and Inca are her cockers Tico and Mitzi reincarnated. then when we got Echo she went straight for Gypsy's heals and my mum suddenly thaught of the collie she had bought for my dad Sula who they had to re home as all she did was torment Tico snapping at her heals and Tico was becoming depressed.
(Honest it is a happy ending)
Sulla was rehomed to a woman with MS who they know through one of her kids. it was the best thing the could have done as with my mum and dad she pulled like a train but with this woman she walked perfectly to heal like she knew if she pulled she could hurt the woman. Sula ended up learning to help her about the house but fetching things and getting things in and out the washing Manichean.

she would even alert the woman next door who had a spare key Inca's Sula's owner had a bad fall. Sula would pull a cord attached to a bell outside so someone would come help.

Then Delta her mum was a bitch who my mum really wanted a tri pup from but i refused as she was a toy cross, so when delta came about and her dad was Echos dad she seemed perfect. lol we now think she is a reincarnation of a cockerXcavalear Muffin my mum had before i was born, Muffin was a barker and Delta is a barker

so yes i believe in fate lol who couldn't after all that.

some lovely stories, lol the papilion street i know someone els who had that happen it was like someone was trying to tell them something and the message got mixed up. maybe someone was leading you to Dylan but you picked it up as the breed rather than the street lol (this is my mum and her spirit/angel influence)

My mums dogs
Mitzi Black
Tico Gold
Sula collie

and this is little muffin she was rehamed aswell before i was born

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems to be that if you trust in your instincts and believe in fate, or the cosmos, or whatever else you feel is out there, you will generally end up with the best result, no matter how many setbacks appear on the way. I've always felt that way about buying houses as well - there are so many problems and times when you lose one you set your heart on, but you always seem to end up with the right one in the end, even if it's not at all what you were originally looking for!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi
Glad i am not the only one that strange thing happen to.

Like you I lost my lurcher - Brodie just before xmas after 14 years. At first never thought I would get anything else but a lurcher who are wonderfull sweet natured animals.
After the broken heart had started to mend, I started to look at rescue sites, but found it diffcult cos I needed a puppy due to having 3 cats. But most of the pups where down south and rescue where saying i would have to travel down and various checks etc.
Also Brodie was a cross deerhound / lurcher and was very unusal coat.
whilst trailing the internet a site kept continually coming up called Anzill cockapoo
so eventually went on it and found these lovely dogs. But then when I went into images anzil had put pics on under the name of Lurcher lad ! little spooky considering they bred cockapoos. The when i made contact with breeder he told me to go round to a person who lived by me to see the dog and the owners name was powell. which is our surname.

So all in all:
website constantly appearing even though looking at rescue
breeder named lurcher lad
people with cockapoo called Powell

I am convinced Brodie directed me to this.

Also sat up in the early hours of morning just after he had been put to sleep very distressed and was looking at his chair where he always sat, and said out loud wish yiu where here brodie. then suddenly noticed on his chair a big wet patch which was still wet !!! It was funny because when he was alive and sat in this chair he would lay upside down with his head hanging over and would always leave a big wet patch.
So I believe hopefully that this was hsi message to say he was still with me. x

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How lovely! Wow there certainly is a lot of spirit work going on directing us to our dogs! I bet that when you get your pup it will immediately settle in at home with you like Dylan did with us. I'm so glad I started this thread - any more fascinating stories out there??

·
Registered
62 Posts
i've had Cassie only for a few days, but i really do feel the Lord helped me get her.

I've never been a dog person. have always felt like i had to wash my hands after petting any dog i came in contact with. when i got married, my hubbie loves dogs, but is sooo allergic, he kept teasing me that we needed a dog and i kept refusing. well, he didn't mean to, but he really put the idea in my head. ha ha.

i got a chance to adopt a little yorkie... didn't work out. my boys are rough, and he didn't like my hubbie... rehomed him. :(
a few years later, i found a cute little yorkiepoo... just adorable... yet again.. obsessed with me... horrible to house train. and not fond of the rest of the family... rehomed him too.
said i wouldnt ever get another dog.
but this spring, i've been thinking of smokey sooo much, and missing him. so i sat long and hard thinking about what i didn't like about him, and what i did like.
so, i decided to search for other dogs on craigslist and pet finder. was looking for a girl, that was already house trained, and had poodle type... or non shedding hair. i knew if i went and pet any dog, and they felt oily or sheddy, i wouldn't want them.

so (hopefully this story isn't running too long. lol.) i found one dog that was a beagle poodle... and she was free etc etc. but i just didn't have a good feeling about meeting her. the photo i saw made me feel like she'd be a shy, needy dog, looked a bit neglected. ... decided no.

then i got the photo from another craigslister i was in contact with of Cassie, and i just thought she would be so cute. we went to meet her, and i adored her! but most importantly it was like she had already been trained for our family... the owner had a 2 year old, and a 9 year old. so Cassie was used to the kids, and took all their play in stride! when i saw that i was soo impressed. not to mention how velvety soft she was, and how social.

the owner was wonderful, and honest, and answered every random question i sent her (for a week! ha ha), and it turns out she worked at the same girl scout camp i did. not the same year, but it helped us bond.

later i sent an email to her just asking if she'd consider a different adoption fee, and she wrote back saying that she had written an email the night before, offering that exact price, but was afraid i'd think she was desperate to get rid of Cassie if she sent it!

then, i was able to sell some stuff on etsy and craigslist to equal her adoption fee, and her food and collar etc. so i didn't have to feel like i was taking money out of the budget just to get her.

so within a few weeks, all of this just seemed to unfold to give me this beautiful sweet, well behaved dog. i am in love, and i realize that i am not a dog person... i am a cockapoo person! HAHA!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When there is that "fit" between the dog and family it just all works so well, like it was meant to be. Worth waiting for!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi folks

This is really interesting!! I have been 'looking' for a chocolate Cockapoo boy for about a year now, didn't want to rush into it and was quite happy to wait until the right one came along. So far there have been three little boys which I have been interested in, but for various reasons the timing just wasn't right. I found an advert on Breeders Online a couple of months back, a breeder had three chocolate boys for sale. Unfortunately by the time I had seen the advert, the last little boy had been sold that day. The breeder called me and said that she was waiting to see if one of her other lady dogs was expecting, if I was prepared to wait a while. She was a lovely lady though and gave me lots of advice about choosing a pup, and said I was welcome to call her any time for advice, even if I didn't choose a pup from her.

So a few weeks later I enquired and her lady was expecting! The pups were born on 25 March 2011 and I have reserved a chocolate boy - I will go and see him when he is four weeks old.

The funny thing is that my neighbours, who I have lived next to for 14 years, have an adorable golden labrador. I never asked where he came from as I wasn't looking for a lab. But the other day I was round my neighbours having a cuppa and she mentioned this lady's name, and it turned out that the breeder their lab came from is the same lady who also breeds Cockapoos!!

So I think it was fate that the timing wasn't right on the other pups I have considered, and believe that this pup is the one for our family. I hope I am right!! I am so excited about getting our new arrival!!!!

Jude
xx

·
Registered
62 Posts
absolutely. :)

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Hi folks

This is really interesting!! I have been 'looking' for a chocolate Cockapoo boy for about a year now, didn't want to rush into it and was quite happy to wait until the right one came along. So far there have been three little boys which I have been interested in, but for various reasons the timing just wasn't right. I found an advert on Breeders Online a couple of months back, a breeder had three chocolate boys for sale. Unfortunately by the time I had seen the advert, the last little boy had been sold that day. The breeder called me and said that she was waiting to see if one of her other lady dogs was expecting, if I was prepared to wait a while. She was a lovely lady though and gave me lots of advice about choosing a pup, and said I was welcome to call her any time for advice, even if I didn't choose a pup from her.

So a few weeks later I enquired and her lady was expecting! The pups were born on 25 March 2011 and I have reserved a chocolate boy - I will go and see him when he is four weeks old.

The funny thing is that my neighbours, who I have lived next to for 14 years, have an adorable golden labrador. I never asked where he came from as I wasn't looking for a lab. But the other day I was round my neighbours having a cuppa and she mentioned this lady's name, and it turned out that the breeder their lab came from is the same lady who also breeds Cockapoos!!

So I think it was fate that the timing wasn't right on the other pups I have considered, and believe that this pup is the one for our family. I hope I am right!! I am so excited about getting our new arrival!!!!

Jude
xx
awww the pups were born on my birthday! too cute!
congrats

1 - 13 of 13 Posts