I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you go on holiday with your dogs?Wondering as we are going to cornwall with molly for the first time.

This is a it off subject but any advice for health, toys ect?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I haven't been away with Dylan yet, although we're planning a trip to the Lake District later in the year, but I've been away with previous dogs many times. Obviously you will want to take her bed, feeding bowls and favourite toys, and maybe a blanket if she tends to jump onto furniture. Lots of poo-disposal bags and a bottle and bowl for water when you're out. Are you going to a hotel or cottage?
Most places don't allow you to leave the dog if you go out, so hopefully she is happy in the car, and in winter you won't need to worry about the car getting too hot.
I've always found that my dogs settle in easily, wherever we take them. They love the extra walks and company and enjoy the holiday as much as we do.
I'm sure you'll have a great time and I'm jealous!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
We take Teddy on holiday with us, and the one thing I will not go without is an outisde training line. Ours is about 20/30 ft (from P at H), and it means he can be let outside to toilet etc. and or just to have a little wander, with one end tied to a chair or door handle inside, so can't disappear altogether. Also ball and chucker for the beach:) Have a nice break!

·
Registered
44 Posts
We haven't taken Ruby away yet, but can't wait to bring her camping in the spring! She is going to be in heaven being outdoors all day!!!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
We took Flo to Bude in Cornwall last summer when she was only 8 months she loved the beach and exploring the rock pools. We took a crate which we put her in at night in the living room as I wouldn't have been able to trust her not to get up on the sofa at night and the holiday let said no pets on furniture. The long line was handy at the start as I wasn't sure if she would come when called with all the excitement on the beach and other dogs but we did find we could take the line off most of the time in the end. We are taking her to Norfolk this summer.

How white are my legs :eek: Good job Flo is standing in front of them or you would all need to adjust the brightness on your monitors (Makes mental note to get some tanning lotion for this year!!!)

And a well earned rest in the sun by the back door after a busy day on the beach

·
Registered
710 Posts
ahaha Mandy you are lovely, white legs or not.
I LOVE Flo's jumping picture!
To answer the opening post- we haven't vacationed with Rufus yet but we will this summer. We have always brought our dogs with us in the past and they have loved it! Always fun to get away and have more time to run around (and swim!)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
We're about to go away without Dylan :( - (badly need some sun), but this thread and the pics are making me really look forward to taking him up to the Lakes later this year. I am dying to see him paddle and swim in the lakes - I don't let him swim here as our regular walking places have lakes that are prone to poisonous algae in the summer and so I prefer that he not be in the habit of getting in them. The Lakes is my favourite place on earth and it will be great to share it with him :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
We are off to Centerparcs in 2 weeks time and taking Alfie with us. think he will love the long walks in the forest! How you feeling about leaving Dylan behind Helen? Are you leaving him with someone you know or boarding kennels?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I'll miss him like crazy. He's staying at home with my daughter and when she works she'll drop him into her dad probably. He has 2 dogs at work with him already (a labradoodle and another cockapoo) so one more won't notice and his staff all love Dylan. We also have a local dog lover with 4 small dogs of her own who will help out if needed. Dylan loves it there - they all run around and play together from the second he walks in the door. So I'm sure he'll be fine - on his own maybe a bit more than usual, but in his own surroundings at least. But how will I manage without him?? I'll have to talk to my hubby instead ;)
Centerparcs will be great for you. I used to take my kids there a lot when they were young. It's a lovely environment. Enjoy x

·
Registered
188 Posts
Helen that sounds like the perfect set up! You are lucky to be able to leave Dylan in safe hands! Me and my hubby are having a weeks holiday abroad in May without the kids (eek) and before we got Alfie my mam n dad were saying "we're not having your dog when you get it mind!" ........ Well what a difference 7 months can make because they love Alfie just as much as we do and are having the kids and the dog when we go away!!!!! My mam was saying "oh you cant leave him in kennels!!" lol. Just goes to show Cockapoos work their way into everyone's hearts :) x

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
They certainly do. They'll have a ball with him. Just a word of caution though - be very firm about feeding instructions, because when I used to leave my cavalier with my mum when we went on holiday, we would come back to a grossly overweight dog! She was such a sucker that he'd look pleadingly and she was giving him some of all their food. Even porridge in the mornings! We had to put him on a diet every time we got back. And you also find that if your dog is trained never to scrounge or expect scraps at the table, that that has changed by the time you get back as well! Bless them!

·
Registered
188 Posts
yeah thats something I hadn't thought of! Can just imagine my mum and Alfie sitting down to afternoon tea together!! lol x

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
We take Lady on weekend jonts away...but when we plan to go south we are going to leave her with my mom

·
Registered
31 Posts
We're gonna have to take Lucy over to the mainland in the summer....dreading the traveling....got a 3hr ferry sailing and a 4-5hr drive after that, and she hates the car :S...but I know she'd freak if she was left here at the kennels!

·
Registered
710 Posts
We're gonna have to take Lucy over to the mainland in the summer....dreading the traveling....got a 3hr ferry sailing and a 4-5hr drive after that, and she hates the car :S...but I know she'd freak if she was left here at the kennels!
What does she do in the car? Get sick, whine, bark, look uneasy?
Have you tried bringing her in the car almost every day? Make it a normal thing she doesn't have to stress about?

·
Registered
31 Posts
If she knows she's going in the car she either tries to slink away or run off! If she's in the car for any longer than 30mins she is sick!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts