I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if anyone has a hunting Cockapoo?
Weller will half heatedly chase cats and squirrels etc but I am sure it's more for show and there is pretty much zero intent behind his hunting but I walk sibling cockapoos, toy crosses and wow!!! They love to hunt, the dog especially.
They fly through undergrowth, stinging nettles, brambles, over logs and half way up trees. They mean business and love bombing around the woods terrorising the local squirrel population. They are lovely sweet natured, very obedient and happy little dogs that LOVE hunting. They are like whippets in fluffy coats!
Does anyone else have a poo with a strong hunting instinct?

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Perhaps it is the toy mix because Betty is definitely like this...much to my cats misfortune...you should see her in our local woods ...hunting and foraging.. she looks like a real country / working dog, exploring every tree, route in the undergrowth etc.. it's really fun to watch.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Mine can track a scent, but dont go like bullets if they see something (oh unless they run up to another dog, and recall fails terribly lol), maybe they are too busy playing with each other to notice :) .. Picnic is alert in walks .. whereas Honey is too busy barking at anything she sees, not exactly good at sneaking up on pray .. she just likes to be noticed too much :) thats my girls xxx

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Millie runs like a new born lamb on speed, chasing squirrels up trees. Then dances round the tree as if to say 'where'd it do go:confused:'

She nearly caught up with a rabbit once, but backed off as soon as she got too close. Since then she doesn't bother with rabbits :confused:

But not really a hunter, more of a playful game. Not sure the squirrels think its playful. :D

·
Registered
10,005 Posts
My hubby has taken off work to watch the Euro....is that the football you guys are talking about??

now for the hunting...Lady loves to chase after bunnies and birds...her favorite tho...she loves to hunt down the elusive maple leaf blowing in the wind!!! hahah silly pooch

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes the Euro's I think .. lol .. I just asked hubby and he said "yes Jo the Euros, you are joking aren't you" ... if it was the cockapoo Euros I would know .. ha ha ha ...

JoJo what are you like?! I am having a tough night, watching football and greyhound racing on sky, a friend has a dog in a final and also cockapoo'ing it. I need three pairs of eyes:D

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Perhaps it is the toy mix because Betty is definitely like this...much to my cats misfortune...you should see her in our local woods ...hunting and foraging.. she looks like a real country / working dog, exploring every tree, route in the undergrowth etc.. it's really fun to watch.

Yes definately think the toy has a definately influence!

·
Registered
10,005 Posts
Hubby keeps updating me on the scores for the ( *cough cough* Soccer) I mean football. lol.
not sure how to tell him I just don't care....lol but I was silly enough to ask if Canada made it into the Euro!! REALLY AMANDA! My hubby burst out laughing hysterically before I clued in to how ridiculous that statement was.

His Parents are Italian immigrants to Canada...so he is cheering Italy on :behindsofa:

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Hubby keeps updating me on the scores for the ( *cough cough* Soccer) I mean football. lol.
not sure how to tell him I just don't care....lol but I was silly enough to ask if Canada made it into the Euro!! REALLY AMANDA! My hubby burst out laughing hysterically before I clued in to how ridiculous that statement was.

His Parents are Italian immigrants to Canada...so he is cheering Italy on :behindsofa:
Oh just asked my hubby how Italy are doing in the Euros .. and he said good, through to quarter finals :confused: why are you asking ... oh your cockapoo friends are helping you out lol ...

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

We play Italy on sun, IF we win this game.

·
Registered
10,005 Posts
We play Italy on sun, IF we win this game.
Oh well then...Sunday should be exciting!!!

Oh just asked my hubby how Italy are doing in the Euros .. and he said good, through to quarter finals :confused: why are you asking ... oh your cockapoo friends are helping you out lol ...
LOL!!! that is so so funny! my hubby would have said something just like that to me...he knows I don't know much about it.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Sami will actually "stalk" a squirrel. If he sees it on the ground he will stop dead still . . . on three legs with one held up . . then he will crouch lower to the ground and walk very slowly and accelerate to lightening speed the last several steps for the chase! He has actually been very close to catching the squirrls tail several times! Not sure what he would do if he catches one, im not excited for him to do that as they will bite! He will also catch their scent and go over and over the trail a dozen times. I can say "squirrel sami" and he will stop dead in his tracks and do a 360 degree look for location, and the chase is on! Its really cool to watch!!

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes Nanci, I love watching these two hunt, they are so fast they make Weller look like a big fat old man!! They do not stalk though, they just run and run and run and run. Walking along having a sniff one second, off at a hundred miles an hour the next.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.