I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dog ear infection, regardless how trivial, needs a veterinarian's attention. While some infections may heal on its own, the vet should always be consulted so that the right remedy is provided to your pets. The cure of pet dog ear infection should begin the moment it is diagnosed or else, the condition may worsen. Dog ear infection is one wellness concern that all pet dog owners should be well aware about because of its high number of noted cases.

Dog ear infection comes at different types – the outer, middle, and inner dog ear infections. The chief symptoms of this disease are befoul-smelling wax discharges, swelling, redness, pain, and inflammation. Many a time, the cases of inner and middle ear infections are a lot harder to treat than that of outer ear infections.

If your pet dog is troubled from this health concern, you will find your pet dog, shaking or cocking its head often and at an odd angle. It may also scratch its ear ceaselessly because of irritation. In worst cases, dogs will end up developing balance problems and hearing impairment due to the disease.

There are many causes why dog ear infection in dogs develops. Many a times, it is because of bacterial and yeasts finding its way in the dog's ears. Mites may also cause this disease. So if your dog has some parasites, be sure that you take proper action to get rid of them from your pet's body. Allergies, underlying diseases, and foreign objects may trigger the problem as well.

If your pet dog has ear infection, anti-bacterial medications and ear drops are usually the foremost cures. Nevertheless, it is strongly advised that you don't just buy over-the-counter medications as they may not needfully help your pets. Alternatively, talk to the vet, ask for a prescription, and follow his advice.

For milder cases of ear infection, there are home remedies that you can use to help relieve the discomfort that your pet dog undergoes. Many a times, it is necessary to provide your pet dog with both the medicines prescribed by the vet and the remedies found around the house to achieve fast relief from ear infections.

But more than treatment, pet dog owners should be more interested on how to forbid ear infections. Day-to-day grooming and proper hygiene can be of great help. If you know how to take care of your pets properly, infections or any types of diseases shouldn't be a concern for you.

If not cured, dog ear infectioncould lead to a host of complex health concerns for your pet dog. Apart from deafness, your pet dog can develop tumors and diseases that are hard to cure. The main idea is that simple dog ear infectioncan develop into diseases with complications are very challenging to cure. And these diseases shouldn't have happened in your beloved pets, if you were only there to give them the crucial medical attention.

So whenever you see your pets cranky, scratching its ears again and again, and has abnormally high ear wax excretion, tighten your belt for an appointment with the vet. Keeping your pet dog healthy could help both of you greatly in the long run.

Hope this article of mine is useful for all dog lovers!!!!

·
Administrator
487 Posts
Nice article. :) Benny's gotten a few ear infections. When we begin smelling that foul smell, we take him to the vet and he prescribes these ear drops that take away the infection within a few days.

I'm wondering, are there any proactive measures we could take to prevent or lessen the ear infections?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Tucker gets ear infections after swimming some times. Our vet just gave us some of the ear drop medication to keep on hand for when he starts to get one

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ear Infection?

1st:

How do you pluck out ear hair, and wouldn't that make the chances for infection GREATER? I know that when, for instance, I pluck my eyebrows, this leaves the open follicle at risk for irritation and infection!

2nd:

What is the best/ safest/ cheapest way to clean doggie's ears at home? I'm thinking HYDROGEN PEROXIDE? It is gentle, and kills germs on contact. With my guy, it's "so far, so good," and, quite frankly, I cannot afford to take him to a vet if anything happens.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
you only need to pluck if your dog has hairy ears. get some 'Thornit powder' its a bit like chock but gives grip for you to get a hold of the hair.

the reason is that the hair keeps the wax in the ear which causes the infection. you take the haire out you can get the wax out easier.

baby oil works fab on a bit of cotton wool. but i would do it during a bath so you can wash off any exess oil.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My vet told me to not use hydrogen peroxide or alcohol to clean the ears. She said to use vinager mixed with equal parts water, and use a cotton ball to swab the outer part of the ears. Vinager will also help kill any yeast infections. Apple cider vinager is ok to use too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The night I first brought Milo home I noticed he had an eye infection, so the next morning I brought him to my vet. It turned out that the eye infection was caused by a severe ear infection that the vet said had been going on for a long time and must be very painful :( . She (the vet) had to get all the gook out of his ear and then gave me drops to put in. However, I couldn't get the drops in because Milo was too stressed out and afraid of me (he didn't know me then), so I called the vet back and she gave me some oral antibotics to use instead of the drops. This worked very well, and he has not had another ear infection since, even though he loves to go swimming! I do get him professionally groomed every two months at which time they pull his ear hairs out, so I believe getting the hair out helps a lot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the replies, guys! I don't think my little guy has excess hair in his ears, so I'm not sure if plucking is necessary (the hair is only sort of on the upper part of the ears). So, Blackbeard DID develop really dark, slightly smelly earwax (deff inside the ear, gotta dig a bit to get it and it's a little irritated, as he sometimes whines when I get into them, but he does let me do it). I've been cleaning his ears daily with baby wipes soaked with a bit of vinegar. So far, not cured. Any other HOME REMEDY/ OVER THE COUNTER suggestions?? I live in Israel, far away from a very expensive vet, whom I just cannot afford. Help?? :eek: THANKS!

P.S.- And please don't give me any grief about not adopting a dog when you can't afford proper vet care; I rescued this lucky little guy off the rough and cold streets here, where many, many other dogs are not so lucky to have such wonderful care as I give him!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Anyone know if you can use garlic oil in dogs ears? I use it for human ear infections as it's a natural antibiotic. Not as a preventative, but if you think there's an infection. Shalom Ari!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Anyone know if you can use garlic oil in dogs ears? I use it for human ear infections as it's a natural antibiotic. Not as a preventative, but if you think there's an infection. Shalom Ari!
never hered of that one

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Lots of internet info suggests a mixture of rubbing alcohol and vinegar. I just did some googling and there is also mention of garlic oil.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
P.S.- And please don't give me any grief about not adopting a dog when you can't afford proper vet care; I rescued this lucky little guy off the rough and cold streets here, where many, many other dogs are not so lucky to have such wonderful care as I give him!
No one here will give you any grief we all just try to help :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts