I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Just wondered if most of you take your dogs to groomers to be clipped or if any of you have a go at doing it yourself?

I have taken Maisie to one or two groomers but am rarely pleased with the result (usually too short). I probably don't give specific enough instructions, and last time her tail was a little matted so needed radical clipping!

Anyway, if anyone is successful with do-it-yourself trimming can you recommend particular clippers you have found work well, or do you have any tips in general?

Many thanks :)

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
oh no poor girl, i do my girls myself but because i work at a kennel i uswe my work clippers, i am intending to get my own shortly. just dont know what ones to get.

we used to get Gypsy and incas tails cliped short but stopped when i saw a labradoodal that looked liuke a gient version of my Gypsy with a lovely bushy tail. i dont think i have ever seen a dog with a tail so matted it had to be clipped off. how often do you brush her at home, what kind of brushes do you use? if you find matting in her tail take scissors and cut in the diraction the hair falls, this brakes the matt in two and alowes the brush to get into the matt.

if your taking her to a groomers google for cockapoo cuts or hunt around the forum and take in photos of what you want.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
I think alot of us have had disappointment at the groomers but part of knowing what you want i suppose is realising what you dont want. Ive been doing Wilf since last spring only cos of the cost of having 2 groomed , I'd had some clippers for a year before that and had nt dared to use them.Anyway Ive got Wahl clippers from argos, not the most basic I think they cost £30-35. So I do his body with those then scissor cut his legs and face. Mable still has her puppy coat but dont think I'll dare to do her the first time, will see what her coat is like after that and just see. Good luck ... you got DVD with the clippers and there are a few helpful posts on youtube.. its a matter of just daring x

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I groom Flo myself after a few groomer cuts I wasn't happy with (she kept coming home looking over done and like a poodle) and also because of the cost. I spent quite a bit on kit but it will pay for itself within a year then I'll be using it for many years to come. I think there are less expensive options that would also be just fine.

I got everything from http://www.groomers-online.com, other websites have the same or similar stuff but I've put Groomers links on just so you can the kind of thinds to use.

Andis clippers with a 1.25" comb attachment (which keeps her coat quite long and shaggy. I run this over her back, sides, tummy, chest and tops of her legs
http://www.groomers-online.com/product.php/271/andis-agc-single-speed-clippers

Thinning scissors on top of her head, muzzle and bottom of legs http://www.groomers-online.com/product.php/133/6-inch-roseline-single-edge-thinning-scissors

Ear and Face scissors to tidy around the eyes to keep the hair out and to tidy hair inbetween her pads http://www.groomers-online.com/product.php/2367/mikki-ear-and-face-scissors

Coarse comb to comb her through everyday and before using the clippers http://www.groomers-online.com/product.php/1069/karlie-coarse-comb

Slicker brush once a week to pull out loose hair. I use a ball pin slicker as it is gentler http://www.groomers-online.com/product.php/351/ball-pin-slicker

Groomers will also trim their nails so you'll need nail scissors. I don't do that as her nails are black and I'm not sure where the quick is so my vet does it for free as part of the health plan she is on.

Groomers also wipe all around the inside of the ears (I use baby wipes) and also sometimes pluck the hairs out of their ears to keep them tidy and less prone to mess and so ear circulates. Although I don't need to do this as Flo doesn't have any hair in her ears.

Mikki is a lower priced brand which is OK but if you have the budget go for the professional equipemnt as it lasts much longer and is much better quality. I have used Mikki and Roseline thinning scissors and Roseline are far superior.

Because I'm not that experienced I tend not to go for a great long session where I do everything but just do bits as I go along. Last week I tidied her face, this week I'll run the clippers over her back and sides then next week I may scissors the lower half of her legs etc..

This is how Flo looked after the groomers cut - arghhhh (nothing against poodles and no offence intended to those who prefer a tidy/poodle cut but I prefer the scruffy look on Flo)

And this is Flo after my 'tidy up'. A bit more relaxed and scruffy...

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Oh yes ... I defo like Flo with the Mandy DIY scruffy & relaxed cut .. much nicer than the Poodle look.

I know other cockapoo owners and breeders who do it at home to save money and to get the look they desire (longer shaggy cut, rather than teddy bear or poodle cut), and its all about confidence and taking your time. Mandy doing the grooming in stages seems like a great plan.... I haven't had Oakley clipped yet, but he liked the wash and blow dry at the groomers.. with a bum trim and claws trim... but I would feel confident enough to do it at home... as I know the look I want....

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your great advice. All I do myself is brush her regularly with a small slicker brush usually when she is sitting beside me on the sofa, but the trouble is her tail is underneath her so often gets left!

I think its a great idea to do it at home and will definitely give it a try - thanks for the website addresses for eqiupment. Last time she had been shaved so close around her "lady bits" (as my husband said) that she kept licking and was clearly uncomfortable for a week or two.

I much prefer the shaggy look to the poodle clip too. I'm a bit nervous about clipping around the eyes but maybe that could be done when they are asleep?

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PS. Really lovely pics of Flo.

PPS. If they are cut too short they look like smaller dogs (Maisie is small enough anyway!).

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Thanks for all your great advice. All I do myself is brush her regularly with a small slicker brush usually when she is sitting beside me on the sofa, but the trouble is her tail is underneath her so often gets left!

I think its a great idea to do it at home and will definitely give it a try - thanks for the website addresses for eqiupment. Last time she had been shaved so close around her "lady bits" (as my husband said) that she kept licking and was clearly uncomfortable for a week or two.

I much prefer the shaggy look to the poodle clip too. I'm a bit nervous about clipping around the eyes but maybe that could be done when they are asleep?

Thanks again :)
You wouldn't use a clipper around the eyes, I use either the thinning scissors or face scissors. Personally I wouldn't try doing anything around the eyes when she is asleep as she could suddenly move when you are not expecting it and you also want to get them used to be groomed. When I do Flo's face I'm really firm with her and keep her still but lightly holding her muzzle. Do a few cuts then say good and treat so she knows grooming is great as she gets treats as you go along. The only thing I do when she is resting or having a cuddle is to use small face scissors and cut out any small matts, especially under her front legs. When she falls asleep on her back with her paws in the air I can really get to work on any matts under her front legs by using the scissors or de-matter to break them up. Do this by cutting away from the skin.

I forgot to say about the de-matter. Essential for breaking up any matts before a thorough comb, followed by clipping http://www.groomers-online.com/product.php/1098/karlie-de-matting-comb---small

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
see i like the short bodywith fluffy legs, i like to see the shape of my girls. as for the eyes sont use the point of the scissors ust the flat edge. mose groomers use clippers from the nose to the eyes.

he her used to staning infrount of you so you can get to every part of her body.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
see i like the short bodywith fluffy legs, i like to see the shape of my girls. as for the eyes sont use the point of the scissors ust the flat edge. mose groomers use clippers from the nose to the eyes.

he her used to staning infrount of you so you can get to every part of her body.
I keep Flo's body quite short as well so you can see her shape and waist otherwise she looks 'fat'. When she had really long fur everyone kept saying she had put a lot of weight on!!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh thanks. I am going to order some things from groomers-online. Might be costly initially but definitely cost effective in the long term. Nicer looking results too, if I can do it properly.

Good idea to use treats and have them standing. Probably nicer for the dog too - at the groomer they attach her collar to a stand. She never likes going there so having it done at home with rewards would be good. Won't need to do it for a while, she looks like a little lamb at the moment!

Will take some pics to show you . . .

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
I think it depends on the coat I like Wilf short in the body and longer in the leg... I did nt used to like his body short when his fur was wavier but the curlier its got it just grows out like an affro and like very curly hair just starts to look frizzy. Looking at Mable s coat at the moment I think she's going to be looser sowill probably keep her longer. Wilf sits very still while I do his face ... but again Mable s a different dog lol... her hair is getting long in her eyes and I need to pluck up the courage to have a go x

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Oh thanks. I am going to order some things from groomers-online. Might be costly initially but definitely cost effective in the long term. Nicer looking results too, if I can do it properly.

Good idea to use treats and have them standing. Probably nicer for the dog too - at the groomer they attach her collar to a stand. She never likes going there so having it done at home with rewards would be good. Won't need to do it for a while, she looks like a little lamb at the moment!

Will take some pics to show you . . .
Don't let her get too long before you have a go. Let her coat grow to a length you like then clip little and often to keep it that way.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Oh my goodness!! That's quite amazing! I can't quite cope with the panda one - its little face looks so sad (I know it's the dye, but still!).

So, I know you want to be a groomer, Kendal - would you go in for things like that? Going on the look of your dogs, I'm guessing not (personally, I far prefer a natural looking dog). But, I bet once you become a professional groomer, you'd be drawn into it. You'd want to try new and interesting things, and the challenge of it must be very satisfying. I can't imagine how satisfying it must have been for the groomers who did those dogs. I just feel for the ones they practised on, when they first tried it out and got it wrong! I hope we never get to see those pictures!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Oh my goodness!! That's quite amazing! I can't quite cope with the panda one - its little face looks so sad (I know it's the dye, but still!).

So, I know you want to be a groomer, Kendal - would you go in for things like that? Going on the look of your dogs, I'm guessing not (personally, I far prefer a natural looking dog). But, I bet once you become a professional groomer, you'd be drawn into it. You'd want to try new and interesting things, and the challenge of it must be very satisfying. I can't imagine how satisfying it must have been for the groomers who did those dogs. I just feel for the ones they practised on, when they first tried it out and got it wrong! I hope we never get to see those pictures!
lol i have been thretend by friends never to do that to my girls lol. but the poodle coate is so fun to play with.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts