I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to see a friend today who has got a labradoodle and she gives him raw bones to chew on. Tilly absolutely loved it.
Does anyone here give their dogs bones? Is it safe ?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I give George who is 13 weeks lamb ribs and chicken wings, he loves them. What dogs should be doing , just feel guilty that I never let my previous dog have bones

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
dogs love bones, they are very good for their teeth. but only raw bones never cooked or smoked as they are brittle and sharp.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Mine have both just been chewing on a knuckle bone, these are ok as long as the animal is nt an old animal as the bone can then be brittle, I just ask the butcher to saw one in half, really too big for one each and cant imagine a dog on either end. They love chewing the cartilidge off the joint end and the marrow out of the cut end. Mine also have a chicken wing for tea or some days a chicken carcass x

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Dogs eating bones ......one of the most natural sights in the world! Personally I never leave my dogs unsupervised with bones (not stood over them but around if you know what I mean). If you are going out then I would recommend leaving your dog with a Kong instead. :)

Karen x

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for your replies . I looked online and the advise on there is to never give dogs bones for all sorts of reasons.
I will invest in a bone for Tilly tomorrow!!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Thank you so much for your replies . I looked online and the advise on there is to never give dogs bones for all sorts of reasons.
I will invest in a bone for Tilly tomorrow!!
Think that depends where you looked online cos if you looked on barf sites they obviously recommend it. Its like everything , depends where you get the info from:)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Lots of us on this forum feed barf diet and bones are an integral part of that. The recommendation is to feed only non weight-bearing bones, such as ribs, spines, wings, head etc. Chicken, turkey, lamb and beef are ok. They are great for cleaning teeth. Some of us also feed the huge marrow bones although those are not strictly recommended, but they don't seem risky to me. Dogs love them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts