I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is back to school for the kids - my daughter starts a new sixth form and my son starts high school. Charlie has type 1 diabetes so normal new school worries haven't even entered our heads compared to the huge worries about how he will cope with doing blood tests in front of loads of strangers, giving himself insulin at lunchtime and the effect of stress on blood sugar levels which causes them to go completely off the scale.

Obviously stress levels were very high this morning - I woke up feeling sick and my heart was racing worrying about it all. Biscuit definately picked up on it all and was a real bugger. In the end we had to shut her in her crate with a chew while Charlie had his breakfast and we made sure he had everything he needed in his school bag. There is no way he could have done his laces up without a dog being attached otherwise. Aaaarrrgh - wish dogs were not so good at picking up our feelings. Best wishes, Karen x

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Gosh, what a morning for you. Sounds like you did the right thing to give everyone some space! I am sure your son will be fine but I can understand why you must be so worried. I have the joy of school runs starting again tomorrow but thankfully no big changes this year.

Keeping my fingers crossed that their day went well. :)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Oh don't they just pick up on stress levels! Even if you try and hide it!! Absolutely the best idea to crate biscuit. It may be that breakfast and off to school time is 'crate time'. I remember doing the same with Rufus two years ago. We bought a Mothercare playpen for Basil which we use for those time out sessions. Works a treat. :)

Hope Charlie has a good day at school. I'm sure he will. Schools are great with Year 7s and give them lots of support for the first couple of weeks. Watch out for him coming home and telling you how many older kids patted him on the head and called him sweet Lol. Happens a lot at my kids school. He'll be fine so DON'T WORRY!!!! Also hope your daughter has a good day. :)

You better keep yourself busy today. :)

Karen x

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Karen it must be so hard for you ,im the same my son has CF so this morning was a nightmare,for the past 6 weeks ive been doing everything with Buddy but this morning i needed help (loud shout upstairs to hubbie) same as you i was trying to get Jake ready plus he had to do his phsyico before school and i had to sort out all his meds Buddy was going mental.Then i had to drive him to the bus stop (Buddy was put in crate)then.i got home had to wake my daughter up to start all over again ha ha
Our problem at the moment is Buddy climbs the stairs so its a nightmare getting dressed!

It must be hard with your son having diabetes Jake has tests every year for it as its common for children with CF to develop it each year i thank god he hasnt got it yet.
Jake started year 7 last year im sure your son will come home with the biggest grin on his face having had the best day ever dx

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much everyone for your lovely replies - I'm definately a woman on the edge today and Biscuit knows it :eek:

Am watching the clock and can't wait for the first day to be over and Charlie safely home. Ironically he's pretty chilled about it all so fingers and legs crossed that he has a brilliant day :)

Also thanks for your reassurance that putting Biscuit in the crate is the right thing to do while everybody gets sorted and safely out of the house on time. Hopefully this will just become routine to her quickly as we could have done without the most put out barking this morning :D Best wishes, Karen x

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Its amazing what dogs pick up on and bet Biscuit was picking up on your stress the most, are you closest to Biscuit.

You're right to crate her if she's getting in the way, she'll be fine with it.

I was really upset the other evening. We'd been out as a family and it all just went horrid. When I got home I just put a lead on Millie and set off for a walk - I needed time out :( Millie got a little way down the road, did her wee, then turned and looked at me as if to say 'what is it?' and put her paws on my legs. I picked her up and she gave me a hug :D Just the tonic I needed :D :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts