I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sklya is 17 weeks.... She has one very smelly ear! It's much darker than the other one, I brought some drops and wipes.. it got a little better but still there.

She had lots of hair in her ears... should I trim it? Will it help? Wasn't sure if the hair was there to protect the ear? Or cleaner for her if I remove/cut it? Any advice will be great.
Thanks in advance x

·
Registered
8 Posts
She may have some kind of bacterial growth or an ear infection. Does it seem to bother her? Head-shaking and scratching at her ear? It may be worth having your vet take a look

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She may have some kind of bacterial growth or an ear infection. Does it seem to bother her? Head-shaking and scratching at her ear? It may be worth having your vet take a look
Hi Evelyn thank you so much for replying.. no it doesn't seem to bother her at all...?
I've read a lot about pulling the hair out of their ears if really hairy.. but not sure how I feel about it?
There is so much wax in the right one bless her xx

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Skyla-Belle,
A smelly ear and brown ear wax is defiantly a sign of an ear infection. It could very easily be ear mites. If left untreated it can damage a puppies ear drum.
You need to go to your vet asthey will test the bacteria and give you the right prescription to treat it.
Using a ear cleaner won’t kill what’s causing the problem.

Also I was told by my vet to trim the hair around the ears as much as possible as it helps with keeping them clean.
Hope this helps!

Sklya is 17 weeks.... She has one very smelly ear! It's much darker than the other one, I brought some drops and wipes.. it got a little better but still there.

She had lots of hair in her ears... should I trim it? Will it help? Wasn't sure if the hair was there to protect the ear? Or cleaner for her if I remove/cut it? Any advice will be great.
Thanks in advance x

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Skyla-Belle,
A smelly ear and brown ear wax is defiantly a sign of an ear infection. It could very easily be ear mites. If left untreated it can damage a puppies ear drum.
You need to go to your vet asthey will test the bacteria and give you the right prescription to treat it.
Using a ear cleaner won’t kill what’s causing the problem.

Also I was told by my vet to trim the hair around the ears as much as possible as it helps with keeping them clean.
Hope this helps!
Thank you so much. Huge help!
I will try to get an appointment with the vets as she has now started to shake her head a little...
Thank you x

·
Registered
6 Posts
Watch for parasites or foreign objects in their ears.

If you get this advice from a vet, it is usually because the dog's ears are covered with dirt and wax, and need a cleaning device (or an ear cleaner) for it. This will remove most of the thick layer of dirt that sticks to the ear canal.
To do this, place the tip of the ear cleaner containing liquid at the tip of the ear canal, below the ear cap. Squeeze the bottle to allow liquid to enter the dog's ear. Slowly scrub and rub the dog's ear (thumb on one side, index finger on the other, do so gently!) For 60 seconds.
Use gauze or cotton balls to clean the mucus in your dog's ears. Likely you will use a lot of cotton if the dog's ears are full of dirt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Watch for parasites or foreign objects in their ears.

If you get this advice from a vet, it is usually because the dog's ears are covered with dirt and wax, and need a cleaning device (or an ear cleaner) for it. This will remove most of the thick layer of dirt that sticks to the ear canal.
To do this, place the tip of the ear cleaner containing liquid at the tip of the ear canal, below the ear cap. Squeeze the bottle to allow liquid to enter the dog's ear. Slowly scrub and rub the dog's ear (thumb on one side, index finger on the other, do so gently!) For 60 seconds.
Use gauze or cotton balls to clean the mucus in your dog's ears. Likely you will use a lot of cotton if the dog's ears are full of dirt.
Thank you so much. Her ears are very smelly and as u say full of wax/dirt. I brought and ear cleaner but was just dripping 3 drops in.. but will try as you suggest. I did take quite a lot out yesterday but I'm sure this will help move the rest
Thank you x

1 - 9 of 9 Posts