I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Natural Instinct had a special offer on their turkey and tripe mix recently, so I thought I'd get some. Gave Dylan the first portion this morning and he absolutely loved it! Ate it very slowly and carefully then looked up at me to see if there was a chance of any more, then licked the bowl very thoroughly twice! But OMG his breath :( It's really vile, almost as bad as cat/fox poo breath. Such a shame as he's obviously keen on it, but I can't see me buying that one again. I think I'm spoilt because his breath never smells with the raw diet, but tripe must be the exception. Hope it wear off soon. I'll have to give him a bone or something to try to get rid of it.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
lol, that's funny, George loves his NI, breakfast barely touched the sides this morning, and he keeps going back to look for more. You'll have to get him a breath freshener:)

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Helen, that's fascinating about bad breath. Phoebe's breath has always been bad, I've ordered N.I. for her too (not tripe!) so maybe it will improve :)
I know there have been a gazzillion threads/posts about how much/how often to feed, but can you just give confirm that I've got it right please? Phoebe is 11, so I think it's @2-3% of her body weight, would you suggest 2 meals a day? And for Izzy @5%, keep checking weight, also 2 meals or 3 at this age (9 1/2 weeks)
Hoping it arrives today.
Thank you :D

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
There must be something about tripe. I have some dried tripe sticks from the pet shop, which Millie absolutely luuvvvess. I save them for when we have to leave her on her own.
I haven't noticed smelly breath afterwards, but maybe its gone away and she's freshened up before we get home !

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Those dried tripe sticks smell horrible on your hands .... but I haven't noticed any dog breath .. & I do get up close to my lovely Cockapoos....

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I won't be purchasing any tripe products then!

Reactions: DONNA

·
Registered
651 Posts
Years ago (to many to remember) I bought some tripe from my local butcher to give to our GSD's. I thought you had to cook it, so put it in a pan with some water, brought to the boil and then simmered for about 25 mins, at which point my wife of about 3 months walked through the door and almost passed out due to the smell.....I had'nt realised it was supposed to be fed raw....thankfully my wife never carried out her threat to leave, I bought her a new sauce pan and put the dogs back ot tinned dog food and biscuits:)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Helen, that's fascinating about bad breath. Phoebe's breath has always been bad, I've ordered N.I. for her too (not tripe!) so maybe it will improve :)
I know there have been a gazzillion threads/posts about how much/how often to feed, but can you just give confirm that I've got it right please? Phoebe is 11, so I think it's @2-3% of her body weight, would you suggest 2 meals a day? And for Izzy @5%, keep checking weight, also 2 meals or 3 at this age (9 1/2 weeks)
Hoping it arrives today.
Thank you :D
Yes those amounts are fine. Definitely 3 meals a day for Izzy until maybe 7-8 months ish? Hopefully Phoebe's breath will improve on NI, but it depends on what sort of condition her teeth are in as well. I think that the lack of cereals, plus the extra raw bones keep the raw fed dogs' teeth in really good condition.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Years ago (to many to remember) I bought some tripe from my local butcher to give to our GSD's. I thought you had to cook it, so put it in a pan with some water, brought to the boil and then simmered for about 25 mins, at which point my wife of about 3 months walked through the door and almost passed out due to the smell.....I had'nt realised it was supposed to be fed raw....thankfully my wife never carried out her threat to leave, I bought her a new sauce pan and put the dogs back ot tinned dog food and biscuits:)
We had an Irish Wolfhound many years ago who was fed on tripe. We used to buy it from the abbatoir and hang it on the washing line and hose it down to remove the stomach contents, then chop it up into chunks and freeze it. You will only ever try to cook tripe once!!

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
N.I. arrived at lunchtime :) I've mixed some up with the rest of the origen and will give that to Izzy today/tomorrow, then on complete N.I. She wolfed her lunch down and licked the bowl clean :D
Helen - how often do you suggest I give her bones, and is it instead of a meal? Sorry, I know you've been through this dozens of times!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I give Ruby dried tripe sticks and they absolutely stink, she rolls on it for about half an hour before she eats it, so not only does her breath smell her fur smells to.

To be honest I don't really know what tripe is, can anyone explain?! :confused:

J x

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
I give Ruby dried tripe sticks and they absolutely stink, she rolls on it for about half an hour before she eats it, so not only does her breath smell her fur smells to.

To be honest I don't really know what tripe is, can anyone explain?! :confused:

J x
cows stomach

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
N.I. arrived at lunchtime :) I've mixed some up with the rest of the origen and will give that to Izzy today/tomorrow, then on complete N.I. She wolfed her lunch down and licked the bowl clean :D
Helen - how often do you suggest I give her bones, and is it instead of a meal? Sorry, I know you've been through this dozens of times!
I give bones as recreation, mainly when I pop out and leave Dylan alone in the house. he knows the routine now - a bone means don't bother to follow me to the door!
On average I give maybe 3 a week, but that's just me. I don't really know that there is a recommended amount. I don't count it as a meal but it would maybe be sensible to bear them in mind. I just monitor Dylan's weight to make sure he's fairly stable. The softer bones, like lamb bones, he eats up almost entirely, but the big marrow bones will last for ever - they just dry out and he might work on them when he feels like it.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
We had an Irish Wolfhound many years ago who was fed on tripe. We used to buy it from the abbatoir and hang it on the washing line and hose it down to remove the stomach contents, then chop it up into chunks and freeze it. You will only ever try to cook tripe once!!
I did laugh, but oh how gross :eek:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts