I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when they said that puppies are a lot of work :eek: I'm hanging in there and focusing on the end result, a well adjusted happy family dog, but man oh man have i struggled this week! I read where someone on here called it the puppy blues and i think that explains my feelings yesterday perfectly! At least once yesterday I was teary eyed thinking i shouldn't have gotten Olive. Then i felt so guilty when she fell asleep in my arms last night while we watched tv. I love her! I just feel like she is taking up my whole life right now! I decided this morning that i did need to make a change to our morning routine and have Olive fit in to our life and not us fit in to hers! It's been really hard to get the kids ready for shcool with her running around because 1. she distracts them and 2. if i don't follow her around like a helicopter she pees all over the floor in the mornings. So this morning i got her up at 7 and let her have breakfast while the kids ate. Then she got to play a bit and do her business, but at 8 am she went back in her crate. At that time i got the kids dressed, teeth brushed and to school. I was back by 9 and took Olive outside for a bit so she could run around and play.

I'm not going to complain too much because Olive is a dream puppy at night. She sleeps 8 hours with no potty breaks and no accidents. She also loves her crate and i haven't had to do anything to get her used to being closed in it. Being able to get 8 hours of sleep makes it really easy to get over my frustrations of the day before!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that things are difficult - but I'm glad you're hanging in there! I know just how you feel and some days really are tough! Luckily everyone here is supportive and helpful! Keep trying to think of all of those wonderful snuggly moments to get you through!

Scarlett is sending kisses (licking my keyboard!) to you and Olive!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Sounds good to me Jaime! You are right, the kids do need to come first especially when they need to get ready for school. I agree, it isn't always easy, but it will soon become the normal routine for little Olive :)

Hugs xx

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aww. Olive likes to chew the keyboard as i type. Or lay on it! I think those are the times she's trying to say "hey mom put that computer away. I'm way cuter than that thing".

We're just going through normal puppy struggles. She did great with house training the first week and then this week not so good! Lets just say that setting my kitchen timer for 60 minutes is not working this week! The first week she was here she had 2 accidents. This week I've lost count and i can't figure out if there is a way to time when she has to go out. It seems like she is just peeing whenever, wherever. Oh well. I'll just keep being consistant with taking her out and buy a lot of paper towels this week when i go shopping!

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Hey Jaime!
It all sounds so normal to me! and I am glad that you made the decidion to make her fit your life and not the other way around. Poping her back in her crate for an hour is no biggie at all. it just lets her know it is chill time.
Potty training is like 2 steps forward 3 steps back...she will get it...it just takes alot of time. and one day it will just click and it will be few and far between the accidents.

I had the puppy blues too....I actually fully balled my eyes out thinking "what have I done, she is destroying my house, she is aggressive, what kind of monster did I get" and then it is all ok. and I would not be without her at all.
they get bitey and have their crazy times, and their bad behaved times, but then they give you that little kiss and it all goes away.
Alot of people go through it. and we are all here if you need to vent!!

so on another note, I e-mailed Olive's breeder again yesterday....she sent me pics of the newest litter...which would be ready to go home 2 days before my birthday....but there are not dark coloured ones at all. :( We were really hoping for a dark pup....but she did mention that she has one more girl who will possibly be pregnant...she just wasn't sure yet....so you never know....maybe this next girl will have a pup for me ;)

Your breeder seems like a wonderful and passionate breeder...she loves her dogs, and is so willing to send photos of the gorgeous babies!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She is an amazing breeder! She really, truly loves all of her dogs and their puppies. Her house can sometimes be nuts because she has like 8 dogs hanging out in the family room, but i loved that! I thik it really helps her puppies to be well socialized when they go home. I hope she has a dark puppy in the next litter for you! Are all of the black and white puppies sold?

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
no.....we just need to wait to find out if my husband is getting a major promotion, and moving cities...he would move and commute on weekends and I would stay. We just want to know what is going to happen first.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think that is the right thing to do. Olive is safe in her crate and she still needs plenty of sleep, dogs like routine so she will soon get used to her new one. We did and still (but not as much) use the puppy pen. Infact when Bodger was very little we used it as the main house training aid and if I had another pup I would do the same again.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Been there and coming out the other side thankfully! Best thing I was told was to make puppy fit around your routine not the other way round. I even thought I would never be able to wash the windows, mop the floors, Hoover or sort washing ever again, or not without a toothy puppy attached to my cloth/mop but here I am a year later with a normal life again! Wouldn't be without Pepper now :) and I love that she's always so happy to see me :D
Glad you had a better morning with her back in her crate so you could get organized. It's hard enough to get out of the door on time with children, let alone with a pesky puppy slowing you down! The time will fly by and before you know it you'll be on here reading about someone else with a new puppy and realising that you've moved on and all the tough times will be forgotten :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hi - I had a melt down earlier today and spent about an hour crying and wishing I had not decided to get a puppy.......just the same as you......such a struggle to get kids breakfasted and to school. Then we decided that he had to spend some time in his crate to give us a chance to eat lunch in peace ...and he was fine...and when he came out he actually gave me a little lick instead of trying to bite my ear! Still feeling very tired and a bit sick of mopping up pee and poo - but hoping for a better night tonight!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi, oh I so know what you are going through! I had puppy blues too!! Think most of us do. Getting them to fit into your routine is so right, they are very accepting. I crate trained smudge also. I put the crate in the puppy pen and left her food and water at one edge of the pen, with newspaper down. The best purchase I ever made was the puppy pen!! Can't recommend one enough as they can still move around, but are limited, really helps with housetraining. I now have a hexagonal metal playpen that my grandson had as smudge managed to jump over the puppy pen :eek:a few weeks ago, pickle:D. She seems very happy in it and I feel happy if I have to go out, because I know she is safe! When I think it's a struggle and we do have some wee and poo days, normally after a very good run and I think I am nailing the housetraing:rolleyes: hang on in there, because it really will be worth it in the end. They are such happy, loving dogs. Although smudge is still very young,I can see she is totally adorable and am so pleased that I chose a cockerpoo, she is an absolute joy and I am sure in a few weeks you will feel the same about Olive. If you feel very exhausted or need some space, put olive in her crate with her favourite toy or chew and take time out and have a cup of tea!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi,
I was EXACTLY the same. We picked Kipper up on the Saturday (last September) and by the Thursday I was an emotional wreck. I was exhausted, Hubbie was away in Prague on business and I phoned him crying my eyes out saying 'What have we done!' Everyone I spoke to had to cope with my tears and worries!!
The best thing we did was get a puppy pen. We put it on the side of the crate and it gives us a 'time out' zone. I can go out and know she's safe, go upstairs to do chores and know my kitchen wont be destroyed and generally just have time to relax!
She's now nearly 7 months old and she's a dream.
Before you know it the accidents will have become a distant memory, the biting will have stopped and you'll have a gorgeous loveable friend, who worships the ground you walk on!!
Hang in there, it's so worth it!!
Pip X

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.