I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have been dog sitting for a lady since feb.I collect the dog at 8.00 and take her back at 8.30 five days a week.I walk her 3 times a day for at least 1.30.I play with her,train her etc.The lady is very rude and keeps asking me to do more and more like having her over night.When I took the go on I thought she was going to pay me.However when I asked her for £20 a week she told me all she could afford was £10. I love the dog and if I don't walk her then she will be left on her own.I have found out today that she is paying another lady £20 a week to rent her horse so she can stay out even longer :((
I just wanted some advice on how much I should potentially be charging her?
X Clare

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
I am afraid this lady is using you and taking advantage of your kind nature and love for her dog. It must be very frustrating for you, £20 per week is nothing to pay for good care of her dog that she seems not to be bothered about. In the London area people pay that per day!!!
You will have to decide if you are happy for her to carry on treating you like this, for the sake of the dog or if you have had enough and tell her to take care of her own dog. I know it sounds harsh on the dog :( but the owner sounds like she is using you to make up for what she is lacking in care for her dog.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I had a similar situation recently when a friend I hardly know suddenly asked me to look after her dog for 2 full days a week, with no mention of any payment as she is having to go back to work as times are hard for her. I mentioned that I was funnily enough just thinking of starting to offer dog walking and daycare and she said she could get me lots of references but still didn't offer anything so I just sent an email saying I couldn't do it due to some other unforeseen commitments as I know she is also one of those 'needy' types who would just add on extras all the time. I think £10 per day would be very reasonable!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Tough call. Twelve and a half hours, 5 days a week. I think you must have a better connection with her dog that she does.

If you're feeling used, which lets face it you are. You will begin to resent the situation, as well as the woman. If she was in dire need and she appreciated your support, you may not mind the token £10 a week. But lets face it, she's taking total liberties with you and she knows it.

On the other hand, if you adore and look forward to your day with her dog so much that if it came to an end you would really, really miss the whole situation, then carry on because you are getting so much out of it, and the money really doesn't matter.

Its a difficult situation only you can decide on the actual outcome. :)

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
I am aware doggy day care / dog walking services charge different rates and depending on area etc .. where in the country are you?

I think around here (Berkshire) its approx £18-20 per day for the type of service you are providing for this lady and her dog ....

You are doing a faboulous thing, I love the whole idea of good doggy day care as it means people with work commitments can own happy dogs who get attention when their owners are at work:)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone.I do adore Izzey however I don't like the way she speaks to me and treats me.She also seems to be doing more and more after work to keep her away from Izzey.When I started she was home by 6.00.Thursday and Friday she wanted her home at 9.00.I don't have her on the weekends however yesterday my daughter asked to collect her for our Mayfair dog show and when she went round the owner wasn't there.We kept her and returned her 5 hours later and she was still out :( I originally started to look after her because I didn't like the idea of her being at home and also we are going to get a puppy in sept/oct and having never owned a dog myself I thought it would get me used to the idea.I am now torn because we have fallen in love with Izzey however I am beginning to feel like the owners personal slave and I don't think it is helping Izzey as she seems to be being neglected more and more by her owner.
XC

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have asked her about keeping Izzey but she lives on her own and she is her accessory.Izzey has lots of different jumpers,hair bands,hoodies etc which she dresses her up in for me to walk.The poor dog looks so uncomfortable that I remove them as soon as I get her to my house.She has just phoned me and said that she has to go away on business tomorrow so if I wouldn't mind collecting her at 8.00 and having her overnight!! this is after I had already told her that I have got to go into work and help out at my children's primary school tomorrow so wont be able to collect Izzey until 4.00.Nothing I say seems to get heard!!
XClare

·
Registered
720 Posts
You are being taken for a ride.
Just googled dog care in our area.
Individual dog walking £8 to £12 for 30 to 45 minuets.
Visits from £7 for a 20 minute visit.
Day care from £18. 8am to 6pm.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Why don't you just not take the dog home! Wait for the lady to call you to find out where she is. Maybe then you could make the point about not wanting the dog to be left on her own for long periods so wanted to ensure the owner was home.

I can tell your dilemma as you want to do the right thing for the dog but not feel used. I agree with Milliedog about offering a permanent home. Maybe log all the hours the dog is left with you or on it's own over a typical week and show the owner to make the point that the owner really hasn't got the time to own a dog. You could give her that along with some prices for other local doggy daycare/dog walkers!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Janet I have done this many times.She just doesn't care.she seems to be in her own crazy world.She even has the nerve to phone me at 8.00 the other night to say that she had told me to have izzey back at 6.30.She had just got in and found Izzey wasn't back and now I was going to make her late going out to dinner !!

If I can't get her until a bit later in the day and Izzey has wee'd etc or chewed things because she is bored.I make a point of leaving hem to show her and all she says is "My ickle puppy wuppies needs an asbo " No your little puppie wuppies needs a walk :))

I have got her for the night tomorrow and hen I am going to quote her some prices.I will let you know how I get on.Thank you all for the good advice as usual :))
XClare

·
Registered
47 Posts
Maybe I'm being harsh but I'd be inclined to tell her that you aren't a charity and she either pays the going rate to have her dog looked after or she accepts that she doesn't have time for the dog and rehomes it. If she isn't prepared to do either I'd tell her that you will report her to the RSPCA for neglect. It just makes me so angry that people treat their dogs as accessories without any thought for the dog's basic needs and then she has the nerve to take advantage of your kind nature and treat you like that! How can she be out all day and then come home and go straight out again - does her dog even know who she is?

I pay £15 per day for Chester to be looked after from 9:30 to 4:30 on the days I'm not working from home and they charge £20 for an overnight stay.

Clare, what you are doing for this dog is really, really kind. I just hope this woman wakes up and realises this when you speak to her!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Oh my word, she sounds like a nutter! :eek:
I think I'd would tell her that you arrgoing to start dog walking as a business because times are hard and tell her the going rates inn the area and then quote your price and avaiable times too. It's what you would do as a child minder. Anything after 6pm is a different price too, like time and a half for example.
She'll either pay it or find another option....and I would insist on being paid in advance monthly. And if she needs extra she pays in the morning of that day, no money no service.
It may seem hard but she doesn't seem to mind being hard with you!
I had a neighbour that took advantage of my kind nature with her kids. It started with collecting them after school on the odd afternoon, then taking to school. Then she would make things up for excuses why she couldn't collect them from school or take, like dr appointments or her twins were sick. I even found my self at school waiting for her kids to finish after school clubs on days mine didn't!!! It was then I said about childminding ....she soon got her act together and became responsible for her own children and maybe this is what this woman needs too. So far she has you when ever she needs you. If you're not about she may realise she can do it her self? Who knows...but you need to be strong! I know it's hard...let us know how you get on! X

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
She can't afford to pay you the going rate or any way near to it. Yet she can afford to buy doggie accessories, go horse riding and have a jolly old social life gallivanting hither and yon.

I like Samantha's suggestion of telling her you're going into business. Shake her up a bit.
I wonder if you can get any advice from the RSPCA. The though of leaving Izzy on her own and she obviously gets bored by the sounds of it. She maybe wont feel so Icky Wicky with her Izzy when she's wee'd & pooped and chewed her way though half her house. :D

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
This is a hard one, if it was a child social services would prob get involved! although I guess there is no actual cruelty involved because you take such good care of her, it doesn't sound as if the owner would want to give her up either, It is horrible that she obviously has a totally selfish view of dog ownership and no real concern for the dogs welfare - but none of this is helping you is it? do you think she would just find someone else if you refused to do it? maybe you could say you can't have the dog for a couple of weeks and see what she would do then - maybe she may decide that she didn't have time for a dog after all or maybe she may appreciate you a bit more and pay extra. Good luck.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I spoke to her this morning.She has told me that she cannot afford to pay me the £30 a week I have asked for as she is so hard up.I found out at the weekend that she is paying £20 a week to rent a horse,£10 on ballet and another £12 for a dance class!!

I have told her that she has until July to sort money out or I am not having Izzey anymore.It is a heartbreaking decision as the whole family adore her,infact she is curled up on my lap as I type,exhausted from our very wet walk :)) However I really feel that she is depending on me more and more and HER dog is suffering as I know on the odd occasion I have said I can't have her she has left her on her own all day :((
XC

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
It's tough but unfortunatley you can't help everyone! £30 a week is still an AMAZING price, we pay £11 for one day in day care and we think that's still amazingly cheap.

It's sad but you did the right thing, she should realise that dogs are expensive and not toys!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.