I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other week my wife fell over the top of Bayley into the road and hurt herself quite badly, ok now, just a few bruises and scabs left!! Then at the weekend my daughter fell over the top of him, he has a habit of walking in front of you and stopping!!

Now, today and yesterday when we have taken him out he seems all nervous when we cross roads, jumpy and looking up at us. Any ideas on what we should do, we are trying to talk to him and build his trust up again that we are not all going to go flying over the top of him. Bayley was not hurt on either occasions only the humans and Holly saw the events happen both times and she is still fine. :confused:

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I have no suggestions. But poor Bayley being the cause of so much damage. Do you think he's a little bruised at all, so now a little cautious :wof:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bayley was fine, it was trying to miss him that caused all the damage!!!! Most probably the thud on the tarmac frightened him!! The tarmac may have been slightly damaged lol.

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
question for you....when you are inside with Bayley....do you walk around him always? or do you make him get out of your path?

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
I had similar problems with Obi crossing in front of me. My dog trainer advised me to keep the lead as short as possible when out walking and always walk your dog on the same side (ideally the left). With a short lead the dog can't keep criss crossing in front of you. When you reach a curb why not try to train your dog to sit using a training treat. The sitting and treat will become a new distraction and is good practice for when crossing roads any way.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
don't fuss over him, just act confident, he is probably reacting to you being over conscious of him (thinking whether or not you will trip over him). if you are fuss over him he will only get worse, just pretend nothing has happened. he wants to fallow your lead so you need to show their is nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Glad to hear that you're better. I had the same problem with Bonnie. When she was about a year old she suddenly became nervous of being out amongst people etc and became really stressed. We taught her to sit at the curb since a pup but if she got spooked she'd start dancing around my feet. I came across a lady with a poodle with the same problem and she had a K9 Bridle for her dog so I decided to get one. Its a head halti and the point of control is a the back of the head instead of the side and I believe it works on pressure points and therefore has a calming affect. Bonnie also tend to pull very badly when out but is a star pupil in obedience class! It has certainly calmed her down and she never pulls on it or dances around. It cost £16.99 and purchased from the internet, the lady is also very helpful if you have any problems.:)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice i shall search for the head halti. Bayley has been really good walking and when i fell over him he had been sat at the kerb waiting to cross and when i gave him the go ahead to cross he stepped in front of me as i was stepping off the kerb. Today i i have tried to ignore him slightly as we cross but i think he still picks up on my nervousness still. Sure we shall both get over it.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We do tend to do a bit of both of walking around Bayley and getting him to move. He does seem to do it alot at the back door when we are trying to step out he just stands in front of you!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
can you keep your dog on a short lead and keep her to your side? you can practice the heal command too so that she learns to walk on your side at your pace. We were taught by a trainer and did not have to use treats. good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts