I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're getting a cockapoo next weekend, and I'm suddenly wondering if it's a potential issue that a section of our fence is 4' (the rest is taller). While researching breeds I remember seeing that goldendoodles and labradoodles sometimes jump fences. Is this a problem with cockapoos, too? The one we're planning to get is anticipated to be 25 pounds when full grown. Should we be looking to get the one that's anticipated to be 15 pounds instead?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! We can't really make the fence any taller because of restrictions in our city (we're not even supposed to have this section of the fence, which runs across our front/side yard), but maybe a trellis is an option.

Do you have any experience with your cockapoo jumping over fences or something similar, and if so, how big is your dog? We had a beagle previously, and though he'd jump off the furniture, he never was one to try to jump over the fence, though he'd happily find other ways to escape.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We're getting a cockapoo next weekend, and I'm suddenly wondering if it's a potential issue that a section of our fence is 4' (the rest is taller). While researching breeds I remember seeing that goldendoodles and labradoodles sometimes jump fences. Is this a problem with cockapoos, too? The one we're planning to get is anticipated to be 25 pounds when full grown. Should we be looking to get the one that's anticipated to be 15 pounds instead?

We have had problems with two of our Cockapoos. The hedge and fence was about five foot. They would jump over it easily. So w3 put some trellis on top. Which seems to have solved the problem, at the moment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
240 Posts
As well as height, think of digging...

Lucky can dig a big deep hole is soil very quickly! Usually to bury things or to sit in to cool off.

He’s 30+lbs, he may be able to get over a 4 foot fence if he really tried but he’d really have to want to get out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, @LuckyCockapoo! We've definitely thought about the digging and are addressing all of the places in our yard where that could be an issue. Our last dog was a digger, so hopefully, we've found all of the digging spots.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have had problems with two of our Cockapoos. The hedge and fence was about five foot. They would jump over it easily. So w3 put some trellis on top. Which seems to have solved the problem, at the moment

Oh my! How big (weight/height) are your cockapoos that jumped?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Poppy is 24lbs and Rosie 28lbs. I don’t know how to measure their height. Is it to the shoulder from the floor?

I think it's floor to shoulder -- but don't stress about finding it. It sounds like they're probably the same size as the dog we're planning to get. Thank you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Poppy is 24lbs and Rosie 28lbs. I don’t know how to measure their height. Is it to the shoulder from the floor?

One more question -- your response seemed to suggest you have multiple cockapoos, but only two of them have jumped the fence. What size are the others? Are they smaller?

·
Registered
4 Posts
One more question -- your response seemed to suggest you have multiple cockapoos, but only two of them have jumped the fence. What size are the others? Are they smaller?

I have three Cockapoos. The third is eighteen months old, he is a completely different build. A lot more stocky, poodle and working cocker mix. He also has had two operations, as he had elbow dysplacia in both front legs. He is less agile than the girls.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts