I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the arrival of Ted I thought it would be a good idea to top up BBK's training ( been very slack with it over the winter) as I did not want her to teach Ted any of her naughty ways. I went to two different schools last year and they were both a bit rubbish for different reasons. For me it appears it may be third time lucky...I felt I learned more in one hour than in all the previous lessons put together. The trainer is Di Martin - I didn't know it at the time but she actually won the Obedience category at crufts in 2011 - she is amazing and I am in total awe of what she can get her dog to do!!
Ted is having a couple of 1-2-1's with her before starting puppy class - hopefully it will be money well spent!! If anyone else is in East Berkshire and looking for a good trainer PM me and I will let you have her details ( not sure if I am allowed to recommend on a thread???)

Registered
Fab news ... keep us posted on the training ..

Hey Colin maybe you could to a thread on here about the training and update it after each session .. it would be so helpful for new owners and existing owners .... a a great read :) :) please pretty please xxx

Registered
Hey you can do it .. don't doubt yourself .. and anyway no pressure we love ya even if you are a naff trainer :) you still have two super cute and well behaved cockapoos :) It will be so much fun to follow and hey we can pick up tips along the way ...

I tell you what I will follow your training updates and do the training with Fudge .. lets start with no wall biting :) :) ... it will be fun xxx

Registered
Colin I couldn't agree more,a good trainer who explains everything is so important.I wasted 10 weeks of valuable training time going to a poor obedience class.I only realised tonight how poor ,as today I took Milo to a different one and I too learnt more in 1 hour than 10 hours at the previous class.I was beginning to despair of having good control of Milo and now I feel a glimmer of hope.Milo is a very excitable pup and difficult to get his attention when around other dogs but speaking to a good trainer and using her methods I am so hopeful now.I'm really looking forward to next weeks session.
Good luck with Ted's training

Val and Milo

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Milo sounds like Betty, very excitable and easily distracted!!

What I like about this trainer is they make every exercise relevant and teach you the value of it...i think this alone is a great motivator. You also spend the whole hour working with your dog rather than waiting ages for everyone to ''have their go''... it was really tiring but I could see for the very first time that Betty was really concentrating on me. Lots of their techniques just made sense!! I know it is still down to the owner to put in the hard work but if feels better being given the right tools.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh I might look into this for Betty, she is a bit of a monster over her tennis ball and would like to stop that. Also she can be jealous.

Will be interested how you get on Colin.
Julie,

Their follow on class is continous which means that you can start any week...you can go every week or just when you feel like it...you can pay on a nightly basis but get a discount for a block booking. Classes are Monday ( 8.30Pm or Wednesday 7.30PM) perhaps come along for one session and see what you think. Di does a lot of 1-2-1 training so if you are happy with her you might consider that for Bettys tennis ball obsession!!
I also hadn't realized that my vet does a really glowing testimonial on her advertising material.

Registered
Please Colin do a thread ...

and anyone else taking their cockapoos to classes or training sessions or any kind. please do a thread which can be updated after each session .. it will be such a useful read and we will all enjoy it so much :) :)

Registered
Julie,

Their follow on class is continous which means that you can start any week...you can go every week or just when you feel like it...you can pay on a nightly basis but get a discount for a block booking. Classes are Monday ( 8.30Pm or Wednesday 7.30PM) perhaps come along for one session and see what you think. Di does a lot of 1-2-1 training so if you are happy with her you might consider that for Bettys tennis ball obsession!!
I also hadn't realized that my vet does a really glowing testimonial on her advertising material.
Oh I might have to pop along and try a session.

I would love to be able to take a tennis ball out with Betty and let her play with it sometimes and for it then to go away, so a 1 to 1 might be good.

Registered
We are starting "puppy agility" this Friday - so I will start a thread to tell you all about that. I don't know how much actual agility Gisgo will learn, but I do think it is something that he and the kids will really enjoy and will be great for "bond-building" between them & good exercise for puppy & kids too! (I intend to sit and watch while the kids do the running around.....:D)

Registered
We are starting "puppy agility" this Friday - so I will start a thread to tell you all about that. I don't know how much actual agility Gisgo will learn, but I do think it is something that he and the kids will really enjoy and will be great for "bond-building" between them & good exercise for puppy & kids too! (I intend to sit and watch while the kids do the running around.....:D)
Oh yes please do tell us how you get on I'd be really interested as ultimately I want Milo to do agility with my two granddaughters. But at the moment I need him to learn the basic commands first.How old are your children?

Val and Milo

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.