I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 72
Dogs Have been I love being part of my life from the moment moment I was brought home from the hospital
I’m very excited about having a cockapoo to love- first time
I’m worried because mine will be 10 to 15 pounds- Will he be too small to jump on the couch/ bed- Romp and play?
I haven’t had a dog that small and I’m looking forward to it- want to know what restrictions might be needed
Also do cockapoo’s have blue eyes?
And how do I know if my little guy will have a mustache and curly hair?
I’m so excited and have many questions….
And I haven’t had a puppy and quite a few years- The last 20 years or so I have been rescue dogs
I’m looking forward to I get my adventure

I think it ironic- When brought home from the hospital as a baby I had two dogs waiting for me when a black cocker spaniel and one a white poodle- So now the best of both

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Molly is fairly small at 6kg and it has never held her back from long walks and living life to the full. She used to be fine with jumping onto the bed and couch but has had lots of joint problems including needing surgery on one of her back legs a few years ago so she now struggles and I have a step for her to use to make it a little easier for her.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Molly is fairly small at 6kg and it has never held her back from long walks and living life to the full. She used to be fine with jumping onto the bed and couch but has had lots of joint problems including needing surgery on one of her back legs a few years ago so she now struggles and I have a step for her to use to make it a little easier for her.
Thank you for your kind reply
May I ask how old Molly is…?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hi, as well as a cockapoo we also have a 5kg maltipoo and he has no difficulty getting wherever he wants to- if anything he’s more agile than our 12kg cockapoo 😉.
The eye colouring can vary- Digby is all black and he has very dark eyes. Adult coat type and facial furnishings both vary a lot and it’s not always easy to predict from their tiny puppy coat. Hopefully your breeder will be able to give a best guess based on previous litters. Good luck with your puppy- I’m sure you’ll have many adventures, and challenges, ahead

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, as well as a cockapoo we also have a 5kg maltipoo and he has no difficulty getting wherever he wants to- if anything he’s more agile than our 12kg cockapoo 😉.
The eye colouring can vary- Digby is all black and he has very dark eyes. Adult coat type and facial furnishings both vary a lot and it’s not always easy to predict from their tiny puppy coat. Hopefully your breeder will be able to give a best guess based on previous litters. Good luck with your puppy- I’m sure you’ll have many adventures, and challenges, ahead
Thank you
So looking forward to my first cockaoo
I love the name!

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Sorry - it would have been helpful to include Mollys age - she is 11 and a half now and had luxating patella surgery 4 years ago. I wanted her to use the steps at the time of surgery but it has only really been the last couple of years when she has started to get more issues with soreness from the surgery that she has used them. She is still enjoying her walks very much - I am just more careful making sure she does not do too much or she will be sore the next day but she is generally happy with an hours walking.

This is her with the rest of the crew when we had a lovely walk in the hills a few years back

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is definitely more challenging getting a puppy at an older age. Lola is our first CockAPoo too. We have owned 7 Golden Retrievers, had 3 at a time as our children were growing up. We are now 63 & 69. We naturally thought about getting another Golden puppy. But then I decided that something smaller might be easier. Lola, now 1 year old is sooooo active. And the puppy teeth were VERY hard on our older skin. Lola full grown now, is 18 pounds. We really didn't know what to expect size wise. She has no problem getting on and off furniture. Our Goldens were never allowed on any furniture at all. My daughter can't believe the things that this smaller dog gets away with! We love her dearly and really needed a dog in our life again; as it had been 15 years since our last Golden died. Enjoy the adventure!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is definitely more challenging getting a puppy at an older age. Lola is our first CockAPoo too. We have owned 7 Golden Retrievers, had 3 at a time as our children were growing up. We are now 63 & 69. We naturally thought about getting another Golden puppy. But then I decided that something smaller might be easier. Lola, now 1 year old is sooooo active. And the puppy teeth were VERY hard on our older skin. Lola full grown now, is 18 pounds. We really didn't know what to expect size wise. She has no problem getting on and off furniture. Our Goldens were never allowed on any furniture at all. My daughter can't believe the things that this smaller dog gets away with! We love her dearly and really needed a dog in our life again; as it had been 15 years since our last Golden died. Enjoy the adventure!
Thank you so much for responding!
I also had many dogs- three gorgeous labs at one time- A jack Russell that could’ve been my partner in life- they were all rescues

Before that poodles….
My daughter started with golden retrievers
She lost to both around five or six years of age to cancel
She now has a great Pyrenees and a standard doodle
My son Has also followed our love dogs he and his children
My daughters middle daughter is determined to be a dog trainer😍😳- she’s nine!!
I know a puppy will be a challenge
But the others have been rescue dogs all at two or three years of age…..I thought I’d like to try starting from “scratch”
I hope I’m up to the challenge- if not that will be my problem…..
I hope my little guy will be 19 pounds- I think a bit smaller it sounds- blue eyes as well
Sorry - it would have been helpful to include Mollys age - she is 11 and a half now and had luxating patella surgery 4 years ago. I wanted her to use the steps at the time of surgery but it has only really been the last couple of years when she has started to get more issues with soreness from the surgery that she has used them. She is still enjoying her walks very much - I am just more careful making sure she does not do too much or she will be sore the next day but she is generally happy with an hours walking.

This is her with the rest of the crew when we had a lovely walk in the hills a few years back

View attachment 131375

View attachment 131376
Oh my goodness how beautiful what a family you have a wonderful family….You guys have to be loving parents

·
Registered
97 Posts
Honestly, I don’t think there is any ‘wrong’ or ‘right’ age to get a puppy. (Though of course WAY too young or WAY too old exists, but you are clearly none of these)
it completely depends on your life circumstances.

·
Registered
Teddy Bear
58 Posts

View attachment 131375

View attachment 131376
I am 72
Dogs Have been I love being part of my life from the moment moment I was brought home from the hospital
I’m very excited about having a cockapoo to love- first time
I’m worried because mine will be 10 to 15 pounds- Will he be too small to jump on the couch/ bed- Romp and play?
I haven’t had a dog that small and I’m looking forward to it- want to know what restrictions might be needed
Also do cockapoo’s have blue eyes?
And how do I know if my little guy will have a mustache and curly hair?
I’m so excited and have many questions….
And I haven’t had a puppy and quite a few years- The last 20 years or so I have been rescue dogs
I’m looking forward to I get my adventure

I think it ironic- When brought home from the hospital as a baby I had two dogs waiting for me when a black cocker spaniel and one a white poodle- So now the best of both
Hi there
we are getting our Cockapoo puppy next week
We are In Our 70s as well
We also was very concerned about him jumping on the couch and our bed
So we purchased two ramps
One is a smaller ramp that we put next to the couch
The other one is a larger ramp that goes beside the bed full length
Anxious to try both ramps and how it works out for him
We seen our puppy two weeks ago and he definitely has more spaniel in him
But is a cutie
We lost a shih Tsu A few months ago and needed a companion for us
Good luck with your puppy and keep me informed as I read this for him daily