I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I've only been a member for a short while and my pup is four and a half months and a chewing over-excitable love monster! Last week we went on holiday to a rental cottage in Dorset after only having Poppy for 2 wks (although I've been at home with her all the time). I was worried about a few things like....that we might confuse her notion of 'home' at this early stage......that she wouldn't yet toilet away from our garden so how could we be sure she wouldn't hold it in and hurt herself and finally that she might wreck the cottage! We already knew that we had to suspend our needs and that her routine would come first before our choices and we'd decided to come home early if necessary, so we were mentally prepared! But if anyone is in a similar position and in two minds I'd say go for it, we had a fab time ;)She had so many new and exciting experiences, she was adored by lots of people every day, she met loads of dogs, went to her first beach, ate her first bit of kebab (off the floor before I saw, yuk:(), lazed around every morning on the sofa and generally lapped the whole thing up. We were exhausted after the first two weeks of puppy life at home and we even managed to recharge our own batteries with lots of furry snoozes in the afternoon:D Don't get me wrong, we drank more wine than ever before to soften the edges :p and there were moments of utter frustration as she had her evening 'go bananas' moments when we'd really had enough and just wanted a quiet takeaway. We had to put a rug out of reach because she couldn't resist chewing but she only had a few toilet accidents indoors and was very quickly just squatting for a piddle wherever were (usually the middle of the road, much to everyone's amusement). Back at home she's been great, still widdling at will on walks and not at all confused about 'home'. I'd say the key thing was that I'd worked hard on crate training in those first two weeks so she was already used to sleeping in it with the door closed and that we'd bonded well. We're off again on Friday but to our own holiday cottage in Yorkshire (we rent it out but use it ourselves a lot) so she needs to get to know it well and thanks to last week's success we're feeling positive about it. Hope this helps someone out there with similar worries xxx

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi,
Glad u all had fun! We are planning to rent a cottage in Dorset for a week in September with Sidney. Is it true that there's loads of dog friendly pubs, beaches etc?

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Absolutely loads of dog friendly pubs, we were in Sherborne which was very welcoming but we travelled about to lots of little villages with dog friendly watering holes and Chesil beach was fantastic. I googled dog friendly attractions in Dorset and Somerset (we were near the borders) and got a list of abbeys/ museums/castles etc so plenty to do, I love it there, you'll have a great time xxx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts