I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we collected our new puppy today and she has been brilliant. She has done all her wees on the mats, eaten well, been great with our children. I'm just not sure how to deal with night time! She is very relaxed when we are in the room with her but as soon as we leave she starts to cry. Any advice appreciated! Should we stay with her tonight or have her in her crate in our room? Thank you x

·
Registered
194 Posts
You could try putting in something you've been wearing (that you don't want any more obviously lol), put the radio on low, make sure the crate is covered over with a blanket, maybe get a heat pad for her if she's cold? (It's bloomin freezing down south at the mo). You can either ignore the crying or if you can't do that, put the crate in your room and move it a little nearer the door each night until she is outside and take it from there. We were opposite to you.. wee/poo was awful but at night he settled down really well and we've only had a couple of whingy nights and that is only when we first put him to bed and it doesn't last. I think someone on here said it took around 7 nights and earplugs for their pup to get used to the crating xx

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, just to update on how we got on.... The first night wasn't great, we did all the things we were supposed to with hot water bottles etc but she still cried her little heart out in the kitchen. We stuck it out and after half an hour she settled and slept through to 4.30am (from 10.30pm). We then managed to settle her again until 6. Last night we settled her in the crate but stayed in the kitchen for 5 mins with her whilst she fell asleep and we had no tears!! She did exactly the same timings as the night before but without all the stress. Fingers crossed that works tonight too. Many thanks for all the advice x

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sounds like you are doing great. Our Mollie has just come home too - first few nights have been great. Only problem is by 9pm she is totally shattered and can't keep her awake so that is when we crate her. Makes things a little awkward for us cos her crate is in the kitchen so she hears us and then starts to cry. She does then sleep through till about 6am - with a poo and wee on the old puppy pad.

Hoping as she has a few more naps in the day we can get her to bed about 10pm instead - will make it a little easier I think. Don't want to have to stay out of the kitchen while she is in her crate ... maybe not dropping the cover for a while might help?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Lol not sure as Pickle is in the dining room off the kitchen. We do go in and make noise e.g. making a cuppa or whatever and if he ever whines we just ignore him otherwise he gets very insistent. But now tbh he ignores us when we come in and just sleeps. He goes from 10pm through til when we wake up. We are always awake before him and the latest lie in we have had is 9.10 am.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.