I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, we are due to collect our cockapoo puppy on the 25th July. We have never had a puppy before and I am wondering If you can give me any tips on what to buy for his arrival, what I need to get done health wise and any tips of training please.

The one thing we already have Is a crate.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi how exciting. People will say different things but I took a blanket to put in with the litter for a while when I collected my pup. The obvious, food an water bowl, collar and lead, food, the breeder will probably give you some food to start,an bed/ crate. I didn’t use a crate so got a soft bed and blankets. The pup will needs some toys. Lots of cleaning solution! Citrus tends to be good. Trainer pads, though I didn’t really use these other than night time. I just took him outside very regularly. Vet, I made an appointment for a general health check and I also took out pet insurance. And of course, loads of patience! but enjoy. Hope this helps a bit

·
Registered
43 Posts
How exciting for you. It's a really special time. I used a crate for our puppy at night. We had the crate next to the Bed for a few weeks and then moved it downstairs. It really worked and we had very little crying at night. He slept through until 5.30am when he went out for a wee. I also bought a play pen as I work part-time and thought the crate was too small to leave him in for any length of time. It was handy for a bit of time out when he got tired and overexcited in the evening.
I bought puppy pads but never used a single one. He just ripped them up so I lined the crate and pen with cheap bath mats from ASDA and put them in the wash when necessary.
Puppy Kong's were great with some peanut butter in to keep him busy when we went out. I bought 2 and they are still being used now and he is 14 months old.
I would definitely recommend training classes. It makes life so much easier and you meet people going through the same thing.
Be prepared for the puppy blues after a couple of weeks. It seems to happen to everyone. They are a lot of hard work and you start to get tired and overwhelmed. The dream of having this cute little bundle of fluff compared to the reality of a crazy, biting, out of control poo machine is hard. But it passes and you will fall in love with your little dog so much. They change so quickly and before you know it you will be doing long walks in the countryside with a well behaved dog trotting by your side. Xx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts