I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well finally Lolly is allowed out and we took our first walk to the park this morning. She wasn't too sure about the pnumatic drill we had to walk past so I picked her up and she got a fuss made of her by the workman.

I had taken some cooked chicken (which she hasn't had before) and we did a quick bit of clicker training on the lead and then I let her off the lead :eek: But all went well :D She came back when called and didn't stray too far. We didn't get close enough for her to meet any new dogs but she observed them from the distance.

We're off for a weekend by the sea on Saturday to stay with my sister-in-law in their holiday home who also has a cockapoo a few weeks older than Lolly and I'm looking forward to introducing her to the sand :D I'll take a few pictures to post here.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Sounds great! It's such a good time when you can finally get out with them :)
One tip that I found worked well for me is to call them to heel whenever you approach other people or dogs and keep them at heel with a treat in hand until they are passed. By doing that I have found that Dylan never jumps up at other people or bothers them. He got used to ignoring them. It also keeps them safer from strange dogs so you can check them out first.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Oh Janet how lovely... glad you dared with off lead. Have a great weekend it sounds fab.... room for another 2 lol x

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
Hi Janet,
Glad it went so well. I know you've been counting down to the day you could go out walking!

You inspired me to try Obi off the lead on our walk this morning and he was better than I expected. My daughter was with me so he was interested in running after her and whilst we were in the woods I felt comfortable to let him off. Once we reached the open land where there were lots of other dogs I chickened out and put his lead back on LOL. He said a hello to quite a few dogs today including a Cocker and a gorgeous Old English Sheepdog (gosh the grooming must be constant!). Oh and he is partial to horse poo, yuk!! :eek:

·
Registered
539 Posts
I took Poppy for her first walk today, just round the corner to meet a friend (who now prefers to be called Poppy's Aunty Rebecca). she got about half way there and then when she had to negotiate getting down of a curd she gave up and sat down, so I had to pick her up. As I've said previously I have problems with anxiety, and get very nervous going out on my own so even though it was just a short walk about 2-300 meters I did it on my own which is quite a big thing for me, felt sick doing it, and it had completely taken it out of me by the time we got back, but we did it together. Sounds strange but I think it was having Poppy with me that helped. Tried it later walking on my own, but felt really anxious and nervous so had to get back quickly.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like a step in the right direction to me Simon! Well done. Little steps and you'll soon gain your confidence with Poppy's help. Well done.

Lolly had a lovely walk this afternoon almost completely off lead (no dangers anywhere near) and met lots of friendly dogs. She only once didn't come back when called (she was too interested in an Old English Sheepdog whose owner wasn't keen on them meeting which Lolly wasn't at all happy about so went to follow them and say hello) so I had to go and get her.
I'm quite confident now about meeting other dogs but am very wary about children as Lolly can be so jumpy and excitable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts