I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mollie has been out on her first few walks this weekend. he has done really well - I was very brave and let her off the lead straight away ... the most scarest moment ever :eek: But she was a super star and did not go far at all - super recall too.
She has met quite a few dogs and made a few friends but is mostly a little wary of dogs .. starting to be a bit more adventurous and give a sniff every now and again which is a good sign.
Took her out this morning - only a very short walk - but eneded being out ages as she was happy to sit and watch the other dogs, have a sniff etc and make friends ... didn't walk far at all but we were out ages!
Been tired all day! Is it OK as we were out so long (almost an hour) but we really didn't walk more than about 10-15mins; most of the time was stood talking to other owners and letting Mollie have a good old sniff around!

· Registered
1,862 Posts
Get used to it, you have a cockapoo puppy, even the shortest of walks will take for ever as everyone will want to see your puppy!!

Sounds fine to me, Betty used to get a few short walks a day but again we were often out for ages as I got her in the summer so would just go and sit out somewhere and she would meet people and dogs!

Well done for letting her off the lead, it's scary isn't it!!!

X

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback! You're right - takes ages getting anywhere with her, but we are loving it. If weather is nice tomorrow we may just sit out for a while; thats a good idea.
Mollie had her first real play session with two dogs this evening - two lovely border collies. She actually went up to them to make friends!
Still doing really well off the lead - finding a food container ratttled is a great "Mollie - come" tool"!

· Registered
3,583 Posts
All sounds perfectly good to me. Well done for letting her off lead straight away, best thing I ever did :)

There is a rule of thumb that you walk them 5 mins for every 4 weeks old they are, therefore 15 mins at 12 weeks. I think thats the guide. But to be honest, cockapoo are strong and adventurous and if Mollie is happy and comfortable to be out for a big longer then so be it. If she gets tired enjoy carrying her :) You'll know when she's tired a she'll lag behind.

Anyway, sounds like she loved to just sit and dog watch, why not. Its a lovely new world for her to explore and get used to.

:D

· Registered
542 Posts
Wow congratulations! You are definitely more brave than I am! Scarlett is a smart girl, but recall has never been her strong point so I get nervous letting her off lead. As for the length of walks - ours are always made longer by people stopping to tell Scarlett how beautiful she is :) I have heard the 5 minutes of walking for every month of age, and not everyone agrees with it. Scarlett (like many dogs on this site) seem to be more adventurous and energetic and can walk for much longer than that. I usually let her tell me when she has had enough, if she gets lagging behind and wants to lay in the grass, she is finished with that walk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.