I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meet my new puppy: Lea!

I'm falling asleep as I'm typing this, your puppy knows how to tire you to the core :p

The first few days with Lea was a mixed of joy, excitement, relieve, frustration, and so on. I'm sure most of you know can relate.

She is the love of my life. She's so cute and fluffy and playful. Initially when I first met her, she didn't even want to interact with me. She laid down in the pen and let her siblings stomped on her. But few days past by, and here I am raising a very playful and active puppy. I've attached her picture below.

I live in an apartment and it's quite hard for me to bring her outside, especially since I live in a city where the winter weather can be pretty harsh (talking about -10 to -20 Celcius). Hence, I'm training her using the pee pad which is working quite well. I still have to redirect her to the pen area every time, so only few accidents every couple days. I tried to take her for a walk outside every couple days or so when the weather is not too bad but she is being difficult. She barely walks when she is on leash, but she follows me nicely when she's on her own. So we are working on that, I want her to be used to the leash so I can walk her once she completed her vaccinations and the weather gets better.

My main struggle with her right now though is with her barking, growling, and biting me. I understand that she might be just teething with the biting, but I don't understand the barking and growling. Did I overexcite her when we're playing? Is she an aggressive puppy? Is that a sign for nap/sleep time? Is she trying to get my attention? How do I know the reason(s) behind the barking & growling? These behaviours only happen at night after dinner when I'm playing and bonding with her. She is currently 9 weeks old and it's just been 6 days since I got her.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and tips, fellow Cockapoo owners. I don't want to condone the barking and growling. I want her to know that it is not okay, but I don't want to punish her by crating her. And most importantly, I don't want to raise an aggressive dog.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Congratulation on your new puppy! She is adorable.
First things first there is no such thing as an aggressive puppy especially not at 9 weeks! The biting is teething and play biting. Puppies don't have thumbs so they interact with their environment with their mouths now it's up to you to teach her which mouthiness is acceptable and which isn't. If she is biting during play stop playing with her walk away and then initiate play again and repeat if she bites.. some people suggest a loud yelp is she bites you I really think that depends on the puppy you don't want her to be scared of the yelping. The growling is play growling and barking is excitement. Dogs are crepuscular so they are most active in the morning and in the evening so they get really excited and active around those times. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Congrats! She's super cute!! I agree with cfriend, if she does nip at you, give a gentle but firm 'no', and cease play. It also helps to put your arms to your chest to avoid having anything she can continue nipping. If she does continue, then stand up, and walk away without any interaction.

With consistency & patience you'll get there eventually :D

Dexter is 13 weeks old now and will only nip us if he's over-excited, so try not to get play too crazy. My partner has a habit of really winding him up, and he becomes like a little devil dog! If you feel play is getting a little too crazy, a frozen stuffed Kong is your best friend, or a Snufflemat, or even a short training session will help calm her down and switch her brain back into gear! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts