I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Riley is just 9 weeks and came to us on Science Plan which he is still having. I am planning to slowly change him to a different food over the next couple of weeks but wondered which brand others were using? In our local Kennelgate store they have suggested Collards which all looks great, free from dairy, gluten, artificial colourants etc etc but they are promoting it heavily which sort of puts me off! I have also has James Wellbeloved recommended. Science Plan is just soooo expensive.

Also, when should I start giving anything other than his usual food as a rewards for training? At the moment I am clicking and rewarding with 1 square of science plan when he wees/poos in garden along with lots of praise but sometimes he isn't interested in the treat so can I strat iving a tiny piece of ham instead?

Thanks
Tracey

·
Registered
853 Posts
I feed Nacho on Burns which was what he was weened to from the breeder. I have never changed it because he gets on so well with it. I now add a bit of burns moist food to his dinner too for a bit of variety. I started giving Nacho treats e.g. ham, bits of chicken, frankfurters, beef etc as soon as I started training him at about 8 and half weeks so go for it! I didn't give him this everytime - I still used his normal food as treats as well but it would help to have a bit of a mix - the responses definitely get better with some mouthwatering goodies!

I know lots of people will recommend lots of different brands to you. At the end of the day it is personal choice. Some dogs prefer certain kibble or meat to others.

Good luck with the training! :)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Lolly came to us being fed Arden Grange which she was very happy with. I did change her to Barking Heads as I thought the meat content was somewhat higher and she changed over with no problem. there's a website that compares all the dried foods. I'll see if I can find it and add the link

For treats Lolly has frankfurter sausage pieces, cooked chicken, cheese cubes as well as bought treats.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you both very much, will check out the website. Am excited now to try a different reward tomorrow, if he is hungry he certainly looks to me for the reward after the clicker but if not he won't be bothered so hopefully a change will inspire him.

ps - love both your names!! Lolly and Nacho!

Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.