I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Really need some help and advise. Monty is now 7 months. And a great eater, but seems to be quite intolerant of certain foods.

He was initially on RedMills puppy and that gave him runny poos and he wasn't really thriving on it. I noticed that if he had any chicken based treats or chicken that I cooked for him, he'd scratch like crazy. After getting some advice I put him on Acana lamb only food and poos became normal and he really thrived. On the rare occasion he's get chicken from someone then the itching would start again.

Last weekend he started to vomit not long after eating. Not projectile. My parents had been looking after him for a few days and despite me asking them not to give him anything chicken based, they did, even though he had plenty of his own food and treats.

We went to the beach twice also last weekend and despite me trying to not let him drink the seawater he did get a few licks in.

By Tuesday everything he was eating was coming straight back up so I brought him to the vet and he got an anti sickness injection and was put on the Hills ID canned meat and everything settled. The vet phoned me on Thursday evening and due to the vomiting stopping said I could reintroduce his Acana slowly, which I did. He saw the vet on Friday morning with another issue and she was very happy with him. Then that lunch time he vomited again. I phoned the vet and they said stop the Acana and just keep going on the ID meat instead.

She said perhaps he had become intolerant of the Acana and to perhaps put him on the Burns pork and potato or the Hills sensitive kibble (contains chicken).
As they had no more ID meat in stock they gave me the ZD version.

Friday night be was bring up his Zantac medicine and wasn't well at all. I was going to ring the on call vet but he then brought up to small pieces of rubber which I then realised was from a door stop and the pieces match the bits bitten off. He improved after that and was able to keep small bits of the ID down, but would vomit up the Zantc. He saw the vet yesterday morning and she changed him from Zantac to Antepsin, which he keeps down. He's passing normal poos again so we don't feel he is obstructed and hasn't vomited or passed blood at any stage and doesn't seem in distress.

He refused point blank to eat it so I had to go to the vets again this morning to get the ID cans. He had some of it there and as soon as I put him in the car he got sick again. As it was a different practice (linked to my own one) I explained that I wasn't entirely happy about putting him on the Hills kibble as it had chicken. So she gave me a bag of Calibra, sensitive salmon and potato (which has 2% chicken product in it).

Has anyone any suggestions as to kibble he could try? As I'm in Ireland the range here isn't very good and per shops and I think the vets too, tend to push certain brands. Or any other suggestions would be really welcome.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
If he did well on the Acana before I would be tempted to try that again but try it very cautiously so soak it before feeding for a few days and see if he settles on that - following the timeline it sounds like he did OK on it then got ill again but was also throwing up some rubber toy at this point so could have been that which caused it on a sensitive tummy.

Also worth looking on here https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/ you can exclude ingredients and might be worth looking at some of the fish based foods

Hope he is soon fully sorted.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If he did well on the Acana before I would be tempted to try that again but try it very cautiously so soak it before feeding for a few days and see if he settles on that - following the timeline it sounds like he did OK on it then got ill again but was also throwing up some rubber toy at this point so could have been that which caused it on a sensitive tummy.

Also worth looking on here https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/ you can exclude ingredients and might be worth looking at some of the fish based foods

Hope he is soon fully sorted.
Thank you so much for the reply- really appreciate it. Quite a bit has happened since I posted so I'll safe you the long version and tell you the short. He started to get really sick on the ID and his ears were getting really red and inflamed. Chewing at his paws. The ID has turkey and chicken. So the consensus this morning was he's sensitive/allergic to chicken and to avoid turkey and other poultry. Try him back very slowly on the Acana, moistened. His ears this morning were completely back to normal. I came across that website a few days ago and I have so say it is excellent. So far, so good on the Acana. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

Really need some help and advise. Monty is now 7 months. And a great eater, but seems to be quite intolerant of certain foods.

He was initially on RedMills puppy and that gave him runny poos and he wasn't really thriving on it. I noticed that if he had any chicken based treats or chicken that I cooked for him, he'd scratch like crazy. After getting some advice I put him on Acana lamb only food and poos became normal and he really thrived. On the rare occasion he's get chicken from someone then the itching would start again.

Last weekend he started to vomit not long after eating. Not projectile. My parents had been looking after him for a few days and despite me asking them not to give him anything chicken based, they did, even though he had plenty of his own food and treats.

We went to the beach twice also last weekend and despite me trying to not let him drink the seawater he did get a few licks in.

By Tuesday everything he was eating was coming straight back up so I brought him to the vet and he got an anti sickness injection and was put on the Hills ID canned meat and everything settled. The vet phoned me on Thursday evening and due to the vomiting stopping said I could reintroduce his Acana slowly, which I did. He saw the vet on Friday morning with another issue and she was very happy with him. Then that lunch time he vomited again. I phoned the vet and they said stop the Acana and just keep going on the ID meat instead.

She said perhaps he had become intolerant of the Acana and to perhaps put him on the Burns pork and potato or the Hills sensitive kibble (contains chicken).
As they had no more ID meat in stock they gave me the ZD version.

Friday night be was bring up his Zantac medicine and wasn't well at all. I was going to ring the on call vet but he then brought up to small pieces of rubber which I then realised was from a door stop and the pieces match the bits bitten off. He improved after that and was able to keep small bits of the ID down, but would vomit up the Zantc. He saw the vet yesterday morning and she changed him from Zantac to Antepsin, which he keeps down. He's passing normal poos again so we don't feel he is obstructed and hasn't vomited or passed blood at any stage and doesn't seem in distress.

He refused point blank to eat it so I had to go to the vets again this morning to get the ID cans. He had some of it there and as soon as I put him in the car he got sick again. As it was a different practice (linked to my own one) I explained that I wasn't entirely happy about putting him on the Hills kibble as it had chicken. So she gave me a bag of Calibra, sensitive salmon and potato (which has 2% chicken product in it).

Has anyone any suggestions as to kibble he could try? As I'm in Ireland the range here isn't very good and per shops and I think the vets too, tend to push certain brands. Or any other suggestions would be really welcome.
hi there, our cockapoo was very fussy until we tried butternut box! She absolutely loves it and it has no nasty stuff in it, pure meat and veg! You also get a variety of meals ranging from beef to fish! Brilliant service and value. here is a code you can use to get 75% off your first order and if Monty doesn’t like it then you can cancel your order!
butternutbox.com/Jenna57 🙂

1 - 5 of 5 Posts