I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question came from another thread, so I thought I'd start one of it's own!

How old is your pup, how much do you feed, and what do you feed?

Bella is 9 months
We feed her Blue Buffalo Lamb and Brown rice
She gets 1 cup a day

I know the amount varies depending on the brand, but I'm curious if we're feeding her enough/too much. Her weight seems to have leveled off, but she seems starving all the time!! It's like we never feed her!!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Hi Paula,

Sorry, I never know what a cup is - we don't use that measurement in the UK!

Rosie is 4 months old and she gets 75g of James Wellbeloved Ocean White Fish and Rice kibble, three times a day, plus treats and a Kong stuffed full of the same kibble at bedtime. Every now and again, she gets a spoonful of probiotic yoghurt too.

Rosie is a hungry dog and would eat the entire bag of dog food if we let her, but only if I stayed in the same room: if I leave the room while she's eating, she leaves her food to make sure I've not abandoned her and then runs back in for mouthfuls to finish it off!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
It's hard to compare quantities because it depends on how concentrated the food is - for example I feed fresh raw food and Dylan used to get about 360 g a day, now he is down to 240 as he has stopped growing and started to get a bit chubby. The high quantity is because it isn't concentrated like kibble. Not sure if kibbles will vary too, depending on the formula.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My poor overweight Rosie is on a very restricted diet to get an enormous amount of weight off her, before it kills her. She get 1/2 cup of Taste of the Wild, suplemented with a capsule of fish oil and 1/4 can of no-salt green beans daily. I divide the kibble into 2 feedings, so she doesn't feel so deprived. She also gets bits of fresh apple whenever DH or I have one, as well as baby carrots when we make a salad. She also loves ice cubes!

So far, Rosie's lost 8.2 pounds, and has about 5 more to go. I need to post a new picture of her, b/c she definitely looks a little trimmer. I'm not sure it'll show up in a picture, though.

·
Registered
818 Posts
At the moment her food is having a lot of samples mixed in, but this is her normal:

'Lo is 2 years
We feed her tasteofthewild and cycle through the four types.
She gets 1/2 cup a day

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Oh yeah...I guess I forgot that we don't all measure in cups! :)

Googled it - 225g = 1 cup! :)
So we're the same - 1 cup a day.

Georgia Peach - I am DESPERATE to see a picture of the new improved Rosie! Every time I see a post from you I wonder what she looks like now.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At the moment her food is having a lot of samples mixed in, but this is her normal:

'Lo is 2 years
We feed her tasteofthewild and cycle through the four types.
She gets 1/2 cup a day
Enneirda,
Wow...that must be some super powerful food...only 1/2c a day?!

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Enneirda,
Have seen some high protein foods that you only need to feed a 5kg dog like my Betty is around 50 to 75g a day and if 225g is a cup this would be well under 1/2 a cup a day.

The one she has at the moment (Applaws) she should be having about 100g a day and she has two meals. However as she is a fussy madam and only eats her kibble some times (like once a day and then likes to miss a day every few days) I've had to start mixing in a little bit of wet food (am using natures diet) to cover the kibble and then she will eat the kibble - even though she does manage to lick the wet food off some of the biscuits and leaves them!!!!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Enneirda,
remember she is a very small sog with a very small frame, so her weight will need to be watched. she will need not more than a half a cup.

my lot are about 300g of meat per meal

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I've had to start mixing in a little bit of wet food (am using natures diet) to cover the kibble and then she will eat the kibble - even though she does manage to lick the wet food off some of the biscuits and leaves them!!!!
Flo tries to pick out the Nature Diet from the kibble as well so I mash a small block of Nature Diet with about a tablespoon of water so it is more like a gravy then mix the kibble in.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Flo tries to pick out the Nature Diet from the kibble as well so I mash a small block of Nature Diet with about a tablespoon of water so it is more like a gravy then mix the kibble in.
Ahhhhh, may try that then!! How do they learn to be so sneaky with food? I genuinely thought "she's a dog, she'll eat everything" but no not my dog!!!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Oh yeah...I guess I forgot that we don't all measure in cups! :)

Googled it - 225g = 1 cup! :)
Interesting! I use a cup measure for convenience and I have just checked to fill the cup the kibble weighs 80 gs. I feed Izzy 2 half cups a day of Burns Lamb and rice or fish and rice kibble, mixed with a small amount of high quality wet food (Naturediet or Almo tuna) to make it smell more interesting and to encourage Izzy to eat it. She is 11 months old, weighs 6.3kilos (about 14 pounds) and has done so since she was she was 7 months old. xx

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Flo is 10.7kg and has 2 meals a day of 70g Origen kibble with an ice cube sized bit of Nature Diet mashed in. She also has around 25g of training treats (freeze dried duck or chicken or small pea sized bits of cheese) each day. I have found she stays at 10.7kg on this amount and at her last check the vet said she was just the right weight for 15". She has quite a solid, broad, muscular, chunky build.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Maisie's taste seemed to change after being spayed and she went off her Naturediet. So she gets a good handful of kibble in the morning and 150g Cesar early evening. She's a small dog - 5.4kg - but her weight looks right for her frame.

She was always a poor eater but having a friend's dog to stay for a while really helped - Maisie just copied the other dog and gobbled it all down - I couldn't believe my eyes! :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
remember she is a very small sog with a very small frame, so her weight will need to be watched. she will need not more than a half a cup.

my lot are about 300g of meat per meal
So are you saying that I"m feeding her too much? The packaging says to feed 3/4 - 1 1/2 cups. I don't know how tall she is but she weighs 18lbs and I can still feel her spine and ribs (though I have to feel a little bit for the ribs).

BTW - how do I measure her height? From feet to what? Head, shoulder? I've always been confused about that!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Enneirda,
'Lo is pretty small, just 12 pounds, and she's very leggy and lean. TOTW is high protein food at 25.0% and has very little fillers too. She will sometimes get a little extra for training, and does get a little table scraps, but most of time the she just gets a 1/2c of food a day.

I can still feel her spine and ribs (though I have to feel a little bit for the ribs).
She should be at a safe weight then. :)

BTW - how do I measure her height? From feet to what? Head, shoulder? I've always been confused about that!
Hight is from the floor to their shoulder bone right behind their neck. Long wise is the butt bone to the chest bone.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts