I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will be going back to work in Sept, although to the end of Sept daughter will be at home all day, then my son is off at various times and my hubby is off all Day Wed and son off all day Monday and possibly off at some point during the other days, but was wondering how those of you who work away from home balance things. How long is the longest you leave for, thanks

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I'm lucky that I'm at home most of the time, but when we went on holiday we left Dylan at home with my daughter who is out at work for up to 10 hours. I organised a dog walker to call in during that time every day to take Dylan out for an hour. However that was just for a week and also Dylan is a little older. If I had to work I would definitely organise doggie day care as I hate leaving Dylan for a long period on his own. I very rarely leave him for longer than 3-4 hours - maybe once every couple of months for 7-8 hours.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou, hubby doesn't work on a Wed and son doesn't leave for work till 2 on a Monday. I work 8 till 3.30 but come home at lunch for an hour, so will take him out. Possible that my son will be home alot during the day as well. I have left in for half an hour during the day at moment with no problems so hope to build this up gradually in a few weeks.

·
Registered
720 Posts
We both work and my wife works away from home every now and then. They are left for about 4 hours max most week days if its going to be longer our daughter comes at lunch time to see to them. They have a good walk first thing every day so I think they nap most of the time.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
the most i've left Betty for is 5.5 to 6 hours and she was only about 9 months old when i did that. generally 4 hours is the longest i like to leave her for. i'm lucky i have a great dog walker who collects Betty from home after dropping her kids at school so even when i leave for work at 6.30am ish she is picked up after a max of 3hours and then i collect her from the dog walkers on my way home. as i live in a flat i am concious of my neighbours so never want to leave Betty for too long in case she got upset.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Jayne I think your situation sounds fine. :) You'll be home at lunchtimes on those longer days to let him out and back by 3.30 is brill! If George gets lonely you could always get another puppy!!! :D:D:D:D

Karen x

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
One possibility to consider would be to have a dog walker maybe tuesday, thursday and friday for an hour during the morning, so that if your son is not around, George will not have too much time on his own. It's hard to tell how George will react to being left,- he may be fine, but it will be easier when he's a little older and more settled - it's always harder to leave a young puppy. Anything that you might be able to organise to make it easier for him especially for the first few months would be helpful. But if you can't get any extra cover, I'm sure he'll cope.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts