I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we're sat down, Noodle likes to chew on the chair legs. I realise that this is normal puppy behaviour, but what can we do do discourage it? I have pulled her away again and again and again and told her no and yesterday I bought some "puppy chew stop" spray, but I tested it out on a small area and it melted the varnish and the wood split! Wow! Can't be great for a little puppy's tummy if it does that to a chair!!

Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
One of the aversion therapies I have seen used is to wait until he is just going to chew and then make a loud scary noise eg banging a pan or throwing a chain into a pan. Do this every time and he should learn that bad things happen when he tries to do that. Also, someone on here may know of a natural product that might do the same job as the spray.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Amanda. I've found some online and it's in the sale! Hurrah! I'll buy a bottle now and give it a go. Thank you!

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Bitter Apple is a chew stop spray that has done no damage to anything in my house.
I am in Canada tho so I don't know if they sell it in the UK

http://www.bitterapple.com/
bitter apple is fab, but you should make sure they get a tast of it, soak a cotten ball with it and place it in ther mouth, this way they know the tast and smell and it is more of a deterent for them.

but the noise idea is also a good idea.

·
Registered
818 Posts
You can squirt her with a water bottle too, most dogs really hate that. I'd also advise some more chewies around the furniture she likes to try to eat. =)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Make sure you do the aversion thing that Kendal recommends. I've met a few people who just started to spray it on things and their dogs simply licked it off and carried on chewing. I followed Kendal's advice and then sprayed it on the chair leg that Rosie always chewed - no more chewing!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
we just went ahead and sprayed it on things and it worked...however I have also heard of some dogs that did just lick it off...so Kendal's route is a great idea

1 - 9 of 9 Posts