I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

· Registered
2,192 Posts
I really like the look of Applaws, and can buy it locally. Natural Instinct looks good also, but I don't really have the freezer space. Would it be possible to feed mainly with Applaws, but with the occasional Natural Instinct meal (I'd only buy a few packs at a time), and chicken wings, bones etc?

Also, what can be put into a Kong? I've heard of them, but don't know much about them!

Thanks all! Your help and advice is invaluable!

S xx
I feed Flo with Origen kibble and give her the odd raw chicken wing meal which seems fine. I'm not an expert but from what I've seen the main thing is to give either a raw meal or a kibble meal and not to mix them together as they digest each differently and at different rates which can upset a dogs stomach sometimes. I think raw gets digested in 5-6 hours and dry food, especially with cereal and/or rice in it takes 10-12 hours.

You can stuff anything your dog will eat into a Kong. I put in Nature Diet wet food with peas, top up with water then freeze. I also put in raw chicken bits which I freeze to make it last longer and that is Flo's favourite. You can also just plug the end and fill with stock and freeze for a dog ice lolly. If we are having a BBQ I get bits of steak and stuff them in so she doesn't bother us when we are cooking. Others on here will have lots of ideas.

· Registered
3,045 Posts
I used to leave my last dog's food out all the time (it had to be dried with no smell). He was very happy grazing on it throughout the day and never ate more than a few mouthfuls at a time. I know some people frown on it but he never over-ate and was always slim- he lived till he was 17!

· Registered
1,760 Posts
I used to leave my last dog's food out all the time (it had to be dried with no smell). He was very happy grazing on it throughout the day and never ate more than a few mouthfuls at a time. I know some people frown on it but he never over-ate and was always slim- he lived till he was 17!
I think you have to judge each dog individually. I reckon Dylan would always clear whatever I put in his bowl straight away, but other dogs are picky eaters.

· Registered
1,497 Posts
I feed Flo with Origen kibble and give her the odd raw chicken wing meal which seems fine. I'm not an expert but from what I've seen the main thing is to give either a raw meal or a kibble meal and not to mix them together as they digest each differently and at different rates which can upset a dogs stomach sometimes. I think raw gets digested in 5-6 hours and dry food, especially with cereal and/or rice in it takes 10-12 hours.

You can stuff anything your dog will eat into a Kong. I put in Nature Diet wet food with peas, top up with water then freeze. I also put in raw chicken bits which I freeze to make it last longer and that is Flo's favourite. You can also just plug the end and fill with stock and freeze for a dog ice lolly. If we are having a BBQ I get bits of steak and stuff them in so she doesn't bother us when we are cooking. Others on here will have lots of ideas.
Thanks for the reply!

BTW Jukee Doodles, I have PM'd you (I hope), did you get it my message? xx

41 - 44 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.