I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be bringing home our 1st cockapoo (you can see a picture in my profile pic) August 28th and we are very excited. We spent alot of time deciding if getting a puppy was an ideal situation for us and decided that it was. Now that we have got a puppy on the way I can hardly contain my excitement.

I have been reading through many of the past posts. What I was hoping is that I could get some advice for a 1st time cockapoo owner. What would be your words of advice, recommendations on training, what would be a good read or video online to watch.

Thanks again and excited to be a Cockapoo owner.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
First of all let me say :welcome: so glad to hear you've got yourself a cockapoo baby on the way.
There's loads of great people on here that can and will give you excellent advice.
I would just say enjoy your puppy, your in for an adventure of a life time nothing better than having a dog an especially one of these super natured loving breeds!

What are you calling he or she. Don't forget to post more picture when you get them :)

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Harley is a great name for the little guy. Enjoy the early days as they go by so fast and be sure to stop in now and they to tell us stories of his growing up and post lots and lots of pictures too! I'm sure you will have lots of questions too. Don't worry though, we'll all be here to help you through the rough "crockapoo" stage. ;) :)

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
He is a beautiful little red super smoothie cockapoo - he is very handsome already with his big curly ears, button black nose, expressive eyes and gorgeous rich colouring.
Please keep posting about him. We have some other lovely super smoothies who are just a little older than your boy - Barney and Tink (Lilly) on the site, so it will be nice to compare them all as they grow.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He is a beautiful little red super smoothie cockapoo - he is very handsome already with his big curly ears, button black nose, expressive eyes and gorgeous rich colouring.
Please keep posting about him. We have some other lovely super smoothies who are just a little older than your boy - Barney and Tink (Lilly) on the site, so it will be nice to compare them all as they grow.

Thats great to know! I was wanting a big fluffy guy but saw him and just thought he was meant to be and skipped the big fluffy pup (maybe a 2nd one in a few years, lol ). I have searched online trying to find one similar to see how he might turn out but its seems to be harder to find. So it will be great to see how they turn out as well.

He has already been such a blessing to our family and we are so happy to have him. He has fit in great and is such a sweet, smart little guy.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hi, welcome CharNC. Here is my smoothie Barney. I did actually want a fluffy teddy bear type of cockapoo, and am still hoping he might get a bit fluffier but he is gorgeous anyhow, and doesnt need the grooming that the curlier and fluffier poos need.

There are a few of us smoothies on a Facebook cockapoo forum, which shows them at various stages. It'll be lovely to follow progress of your gorgeous boy!

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi, welcome CharNC. Here is my smoothie Barney. I did actually want a fluffy teddy bear type of cockapoo, and am still hoping he might get a bit fluffier but he is gorgeous anyhow, and doesnt need the grooming that the curlier and fluffier poos need.

There are a few of us smoothies on a Facebook cockapoo forum, which shows them at various stages. It'll be lovely to follow progress of your gorgeous boy!
He is very cute! I will have to look up the facebook cockapoo forum and check them out.

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
The lovely Lola Bear is 3 and totally gorgeous, Ruth promises I can inherit her if anything awful happens to her and Jen :p
I love Lola's face - she has the most amazing eyes that look right into your soul.
Ruth always describes her as being 'open faced' which is perfect - because the rest of her really does get very fluffy between hair cuts ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
My Tink (Lily) is only three months old but I feel she will be super flat coated unlike Lola and my other favorite cricket. I got a smoothie on purpose. I wanted another poo but not the grooming. Truth be told I was hoping for a Lola/cricket look but Lily is stunning in her own way.
I love this forum because they love smoothies! for the most part, smoothies are considered throw backs and undesirable. As breeders here in the US say, a mistake and a lot of uk people on Facebook are dead against them wanting to cull them from the breed entirely. I'll attach a picture of Lily and cricket.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My Tink (Lily) is only three months old but I feel she will be super flat coated unlike Lola and my other favorite cricket. I got a smoothie on purpose. I wanted another poo but not the grooming. Truth be told I was hoping for a Lola/cricket look but Lily is stunning in her own way.
I love this forum because they love smoothies! for the most part, smoothies are considered throw backs and undesirable. As breeders here in the US say, a mistake and a lot of uk people on Facebook are dead against them wanting to cull them from the breed entirely. I'll attach a picture of Lily and cricket.
Wow I did not know that. I saw that people online were referring to them as "throwback" but I did not realize that was a negative term. I just assumed it was a way to describe the smooth coat. I love our little guy and it would be terrible to get rid of smooth coats. I wanted a cockapoo for WAY more than the looks.

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
Throwback is ok as a term - throwaway is definitely not.
I found this gorgeous pic on an old thread:
http://ilovemycockapoo.com/showthread.php?t=1903&highlight=generations

The pups are MandyM's from a long ago litter: one fluffy and one smooth - an example of the grandad effect.
Both pups are totally beautiful.
Many pedigree breeds come with coat variations - rough and smooth collie (I prefer the smooth), dachshunds, german pointers etc etc.
I think that breeders should be absolutely transparent with any buyer if the pup's coat will be smooth. Breeders do know - they would have to be very stupid not to.
Some people want a smooth, some don't care, but others are disappointed to discover that their pup is not going to look as they expected.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
Those are cute puppies. The breeder told us he was going to be smooth coated. That picture does show how different they look though. Glad to know the term is not bad.

Thanks for the information.
Good breeders do - but some do not and some people are disappointed when their pup does not turn out to be a grooming nightmare ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts