I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello im finding this site so informative and enjoyable.

Im hoping to be a proud owner come sept. :D

But one thing i am not grasping is the generation thing:confused:

If the pup i get comes from a stub and the bitch is a miniature poodle what generation or F? is this classed as???

sorry if the question sounds daft :)

thanks x

·
Registered
206 Posts
hope you dont mind me asking, but whats a stub?:eek:

good luck with your new addition:) im still in the early stages of finding mine, but im SO excited at the prospect:p

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
F1 is where one parent is a cocker and one parent is a poodle f2 is where both parents are f1 cockapoos f3 is both parents being f2s and so on.If one parent is an f1 and one is an f2 pups will still be classed as f2.If you see pups advertised as f1b its normally when one parent is an f1 cockapoo and one is a poodle( the B standing for backcross to the poodle),hope this isnt too confusing for you xxx

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
If the pup i get comes from a stub and the bitch is a miniature poodle what generation or F? is this classed as???
I think they mean a cockapoo stud (stub, just wrong spelling) and a mini poodle bitch.... maybe..... in which case the puppies would be F1b if the cockapoo stud is an F1...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
eh what am i like! Yes i meant stud haha

The stud oscar is a cocker spaniel (whom has his own web site) lol and mummy is a poodle.

Ive got to say im still confused about the F1/F2/F3 etc im sure i'll pick it up along the way.:rolleyes:

Just another little question if you dont mind. The breeder has stated that she will not have the pups vaccinated as when owners come and take the pups there vet may use other brands of vaccine and that the whole process has to start again. Is the norm??

:confused:

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Pups should have one vaccination with the breeder.... your vet will make sure the second jab is compatible ... I have had no problem using different vets from the breeder.

Your pup would be an F1 as mum and dad are poodle and cocker.. F1 means first generation basically this is the first cross when creating a cockapoo, if an F1 cockapoo and another F1 are bred this would create an F2 second generation cockapoo puppy, hope that makes sense but what you are getting is an F1.... xxxx

dont worry about the stub or stud ... typo happen :) :)

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I must admit ive been a bit wary about vaccinating my next litter for the same reason because hen i picked up my american cockapoo over 2 years ago her breeder didnt vaccinate her because 2 pups going to scotland from a previous litter had severe reactions due the 2nd vaccination not matching the first,my friends puppy had a severe reaction too and was told by her vet it was due to the 2nd vaccine being totally different.There is a thread on this forum discussing the possibility of your vet buying in the same brand your pup gets from the breeder so it matches,havent discussed this with my vet yet x

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Really .. would a breeder be happy to hand over a puppy unvaccinated ??

I am not so sure .. maybe the line of thought should be breeders keeping puppies until 10-12 weeks .. think Jandaz do this anyway ... I have read the JD thread on vaccinations but maybe the best thing to do is to keep hold of puppies until they have second lot of jabs .... ???? Any advice

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Thank you Stephen .. its a tricky one hey.... but you are vaccinating your puppies before letting them go to their new homes :)

I would do the same .. talk to the vet .. the man or woman who knows :) :)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hia cara izzy had 2 parvo jabs and also 8 in one Duramine before she left :)
Yes, she did have two parvo, but had to have the second duramine at my vets. This answer was in response to whether they should have both vaccinations at the breeders - I took it that the parvo was not the vaccination being discussed. Sorry if that confused you.

G

·
cara the 2 parvos are done on instructions from my vet and duramune is done by vet with health check janice xx give me a ring chick ?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
The stud oscar is a cocker spaniel (whom has his own web site) lol and mummy is a poodle. Ive got to say im still confused about the F1/F2/F3 etc im sure i'll pick it up along the way.:rolleyes:
So the puppies will be F1 or first crosses. It's more usual to have mum as a cocker and dad as a poodle but either way round will result in F1 puppies.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Really .. would a breeder be happy to hand over a puppy unvaccinated?
When I collected Flo she was unvaccinated. The home breeder consulted her vet who advised that it was better for prospective owners to get all the vaccinations from their own vet. As we know, over other issues like pre or post season spaying, vet's advice differs.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
hi mandy.

does this mean the pup will have a different appearance from the scruffy cute look?

ally x:confused:
If puppy is an F1 cross whether poodle x cocker or cocker x poodle they will tend to be 50/50 giving the cockapoo look, although you might get some puppies that look more poodly or some that look more cockery. If it's particularly the cockapoo coat type you are looking for then best select a puppy at 4-8 weeks when you'll be able to see how the coat is developing. MandyM can help with more detail on what to look for in the coat when selecting for that typical cockerpoo look and has posted some puppy pics where you can clearly see the difference between a puppy that has a cockapoo look and one that will be more like a cocker.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Rosie was unvaccinated when we got her (we were just told that was what happened). I've mentioned in the past that I really didn't do my research beforehand. Bad mummy. Glad you're becoming much better informed than I was x

1 - 20 of 44 Posts