I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone I have not been on in a while, I have a few questions can you all help me out.

I have been having a hard time with Bree she goes on her puppy pad sometimes. The funny thing is that when we leave her in that room when we leave to do things she will go on the pads but does not go in the middle of the pad but she tries so she get the "A" for effort. When we are home I do take her out every few hours and always leave her puppy pad out just in case but when we are home she does not go on the pad she will find other places to go like my carpet or the rest room.

Bree Bella lately has been very bad she recognizes when the back and the front door open at the first chance she gets she dashes out and run like a mad women My husband had to run after her because she runs to the street.
I have a big enough yard that I have introduced her to the back yard and do not let her go to the front due to the fact that she fits through our gate. For the first month in a half or two I would leave her o nthe leash and take her to pee and she learned to go on comand after I felt that I could trust her and she would listen when I called for her I let her off the leash to handle her business. Now that she wants to run to the front if I am not keeping an eye on her. I have started taking her out on the leash again. Am I doing the right thing ? If im not home she acts up with my husband and the boyz Help I feel stressed out when Im at work becuase Im just thinking of Bree and if shes okay. :( , :confused:, and wondering what to do.

I appreciate all tips, advice and infomation you can give me

·
Registered
253 Posts
How old is she? I had problems with Puppy pads as well. I tried to train Axle to use them so at night I did not have to walk down 3 flights of stairs, get dressed and go for a walk since I live in an apt. I think that some dogs do not associate peeing inside in a spot that is "ok" because when they pee somewhere else like your carpet they get scolded then they get confused, so then, when they have to go...they go. This is from my experience. Also, just know to prise them when they do pee where you want them too like your yard. When she has an accident, even if its mid pee, take her out immediately.

I have noticed that Cockapoos are very affectionate, with that said, Axle will sometimes run throught the gate as well into the front yard (at my moms), he does not do this to be "bad", he is actually looking for me. (If I was not with him) Will she run into the front yard when you are in the yard with her? If she does, maybe try and play with her. She may be bored.

If she is acting up with your husband and sons, this is simple. She does not feel the need to listen to them, she thinks she is higher then them. They should try and work on commands with her, as simple as sit and stay so she knows she is NOT in charge.

Just remember, anything with a dog takes time. You have to be patient. It took me almost 5 months to potty train Axle to the point where I fully trusted him. And sometimes, he still has an accident. (Only happened 3 times when I left him home)

I do not think you are doing anything wrong. Dont lose your patience, dont let her see that you are frustrated and always ALWAYS praise, and get lots of snacks and carry them with you at all times!

I hope this helps. Let me know.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
hi, I realy empathise with you as I had lots of problems house training Izzy. She is now 10 months old (nearly) and I feel I have just about got there. I also used the pads as our bedroom is 3 floors up. Izzy never really used the pads to poo but eventually learnt they were to be weed (spelling, not sure!) on. I guess she finally learnt to poo outside at about 8 months old, it just happened, a bit like trying to potty train a kid, suddenly she got it. In the last few weeks she has not used the pad at all during the day and asks to go outside, but still uses it once every night. It has been tedious and taken a long time, but I always praise her - I sound like an idiot jumping up and down in the garden shouting 'good girl, potty outside!' and i always give her a treat. When she was younger I occasionally lost my patience and said 'no' when she was peeing on the floor, it never helped, she would just pee on the floor more often! Gorgeous sensitive little soul.
As for the running away I have a contained back garden so no problems there, but out on a walk if I let her off the lead she is gone! Under fences, through hedges etc, one day she ran across two fields and started rounding up the sheep. The farmers here will shoot dogs for that, so I was mortified and never let her off unless I am sure she cannot escape. I work relentlessly on the 'Izzy come' training; she is improving, but gets so easily distracted and then takes time to come back. I think the whole process just takes time and patience. I love her to bits and it is all worth it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts