Hi everyone, we are looking to get Lexie spayed, the vet said it would be possible to have her done before her first season but I am unsure should I let her have her first season and what age does it normally start?
Thanks Katie, Fletcher and Lexie xxx
This is a question that is often asked, and it really comes down to preference. some vets reccomend before fist season as it greatly decreasses the risks of some cancers
other vets suggest after first season with the thought that once they have their first season they are fully developed.
I personally had my pup spayed before her first season
Hi Katie, my vet said the same to me about Flossy i read up on the pros and cons and one minute im all for doing it and then i read something else and think maybe i should wait, i think it's really hard to know what to do for the best for your dog, im still really unsure
Hi Katie - we are having the same problem with Beau. At present she is booked in on the 24 August to be spayed. She is 6 months on the 16 August and we wanted to attend the All About Dogs Show at our local showground so left it until after this. Our vet prefers pre first season due to lower risk of cancer etc and as he is an excellent vet we decided to go with what he has said but our obedience trainer said she had her Cocker Spaniel done pre first season and wishes she had waited as felt she was too young to go through such an operation but agreed that our vet is very good and that we should listen to him! I have heard so many pros and cons for both pre and post season that feel it is up to the individual to choose what to do for the best with their pet! I have said on other threads that I really wish that vets ALL went by the same guidelines as would be so much simpler for owners of all pets! Good luck with whatever you decide
i had Betty done after her first season again on the advice of my vet who prefers to do it this way. Betty had her first season at 9 1/2 months and it wasn't too bad. She also didn't appear to be giving off too many hormones as dogs weren't desperate to get to her.
As Betty is very small, only around 5kg, i am glad i waited to have her spayed. However, if my vet had recommended spaying before first season then i'd have probably gone with that.
The vet who gave Izzy her 2nd jag recommended that she be spayed before 1st season if possible although she wasn't my usual vet. I would like to chat it through with the vet I have more experience with, who I trust completely with my animals and I will follow his advice.