I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I just picked out this cutie for a homecoming at the end of the month, very excited, I've already gotten all the essentials as my brother has a 2 year old cockapoo and I was able to get some hand me downs as well as his advice on some core products that worked with his puppy.

I'm hoping to eventually train her for scent training and dock-dogs if she naturally likes water (if she doesn't then we will think of another fun activity).

So I'm saying hi in the forum, see what advice I can find and I'll post questions as they come along.

And No... I haven't figure out a name for her yet... but I do have a list!

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
She's lovely. I'm thinking of teaching Maggie nosework. She has a natural ability for it as sometimes on our walks she'll put her nose to the ground definitely following something.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
:D Hooray a cuter potential dock diver I have never seen. All dogs can love water. Ideally your breeder will introduce small puddles of warm water starting as soon as they amble about. Exposing them young is key, as is avoiding aversive experiences like the plague. With Rufus that meant making him wear a life jacket so he never went under his first months of jumping, swimming with him at first and keeping him out of cold water. The best dock divers have a stong prey drive so teach fetch from the get go and make it fun, fun, fun. Another tip is that they have to jump from quite a height at the formal events. Rufus chickened out when we registered at a dog show because he had never jumped from that height.

There is a down side which is we have to keep a close eye on him near any water now and he has plunged into more fancy water fountains than I care to remember. :rolleyes: It nevers ceases to amuse the onlookers though.:D

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
:D Hooray a cuter potential dock diver I have never seen. All dogs can love water. Ideally your breeder will introduce small puddles of warm water starting as soon as they amble about. Exposing them young is key, as is avoiding aversive experiences like the plague. With Rufus that meant making him wear a life jacket so he never went under his first months of jumping, swimming with him at first and keeping him out of cold water. The best dock divers have a stong prey drive so teach fetch from the get go and make it fun, fun, fun. Another tip is that they have to jump from quite a height at the formal events. Rufus chickened out when we registered at a dog show because he had never jumped from that height.

There is a down side which is we have to keep a close eye on him near any water now and he has plunged into more fancy water fountains than I care to remember. :rolleyes: It nevers ceases to amuse the onlookers though.:D
:hurt: Fountain diving. I spewed my coffee and snorted when I read that!! Priceless! Little girl is a beautiful puppy. Lots of love to come!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
LOVE her! Love your profile name too- are you a Madeleine L'engle fan? I am currently on a waiting list for a puppy and am told to hopefully expect one by July, maybe sooner. Fingers crossed. In the meantime, I am getting my fix by being here, getting excited through other members and learning as much as I can :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
T-4 days, getting very busy here with puppy preparations!

Stopped by my parents last weekend and my mom has made my puppy a winter jacket, she had to guess the size so I hope it fits.

Also attached a photo of my brother's Cockapoo, she is hanging out with my parents for a bit before next week when she and my parents come up to help for the first week of puppydom.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Your puppy has clearly got a loving extended family to look forward too. I'm envious of your parents, getting to puppysit not one but two granddogs.:)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Puppy and I are home after a long ride from the Breeder's Kennel. Here is a quick picture of her, I put the rest on her FB page (and some videos for those who are interested).

Now Nap time for us both before I need to get her last meal for the day so tonight will hopefully go smoothly.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Oh, lucky you! She is adorable and looks a bit sleepy. I hope you have a wonderful first night and an exciting day tomorrow. She is a keeper!

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
She is the most gorgeous puppy - definitely stealable :)

Hope your first night was ok - it gets better and better and better. Lucky, lucky you - you are just starting out on an amazing journey of friendship with your beautiful girl.
I can't wait to hear what name you have given to her.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry for the delayed reply, new puppy etc.
There are photos for those who read to the end.

Piper/Pepper/Cinder (still working on what name/call is going to get her attention). Has been a pretty good puppy, she is a fast learner and generally only needs to be shown once how to do something and it's embedded in her memory.

That said she doesn't seem to be the most vocally motivated puppy so trying to get her attention requires line of slight and hand gesture (thus the issue with her name).

First night she squeaked about 10 times throughout the night from her crate beside my bed, by number 5 all that was needed was a loud fake snore or shift in position from me and she went silent again and back to sleep. Second night was 3 squeaks, so much improved. She does wake up exactly at 6:30am though demanding (squeaks & jumping around in the crate) that it's morning. So I take her out a pee quickly follows. Second potty break in the morning seems to produce the #2.

She eats and drinks frequently, the breeder advised free feeding as that is what the puppies are used too (although remove the food 4 hours before bedtime). So she grazes the food & water after a potty break.

There have been a few accidents but all were human issues (bringing her back too early & not letting her out fast enough after a nap). Getting much better at reading her now.

My parents and Eva (brother's 2 year old Cockapoo from the same breeder but different parents) arrived and after some initial hesitation from all involved Eva and puppy are playing together (tails wagging) although it's more puppy running & jumping around and Eva watching her.

Harness training seemed to work, after a few seconds of protest (and some treats) she now wears it without complaint and has gone for a nap. Hopefully she will potty while wearing it so I can confidently take her outside with her trying to explore too much as I'm limiting access on the driveway from the road as much as possible now.

I was putting her toys after she stopped playing with them, she saw me doing so and now she is also putting away her toys (well bringing them into her crate or puppy blanket) so that's a bonus.

As the week progresses I'm hoping to start initial training, 'sit' will be the first challenge as the puppy literally sits when ever she isn't moving. So by the time you have her attention he bum is firmly planted on the floor.

As promised here are some photos and if you are so included, some video in YouTube via a link: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfj5ApY3E9mq-2ubXoLY7uz8wahnrEt6M

Attachments

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Sounds like she's doing well.:) I recall reading somewhere that men are at a decided disadvantage with puppies because of their deep voices. If I recall correctly it is a frequency they cannot hear and then they become terrified when the man raises his voice thinking the puppy is not listening. Hence so many dogs who fear men and far fewer fearing women. Maybe try whispering to her in baby talk until she gets more confident with you? That and using hand signals as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
She looks and sounds lovely, but she won't react to any names as she has to learn that the name you give her is hers, one of the first things she will ever learn and so use it all the time when you call her,praise her and even cuddle her. I gave mine names when I choose them so the breeder could use it and when I brought them home they responded very quickly to their name! :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts