I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well coco is nearly 6 months now and she managed to keep her home here with us lol .there was a time when i thought we would have to give her up .Toilet training is still a bit of an issue but she does bark to come in and as long as you watch her all the time she usually doesnt accident in the house.She certainly has a personality and our new mission is to stop her getting up the stairs.We have a stair gate that she can still squeeze herself through the bars so thats padded out with cushions but i did actually watch her use her paws and pull the gate open !!!!.She was pooing so much it was a big issue so i spoke to the lady in the pet shop and she suggested wainrights food which is allergenic and made a huge difference to her she is much much happier and eating lots more than she was.Our only real issue is that she whines for 20 minutes after she has fed.a friend suggested its because she is teething (which she is as we have found some of her teeth) ive never walked her straight after meals because someone mentioned it can cause twisted gut so im hopeing it is her teeth.the snow was great she loved it and was constantly eating it (i think this also helped with her teething ).so all in all im glad we have our little coco and from what ive read she is a true cockapoo and has all their naughty little traits but she is lots of fun and gives the best good morning cuddles ever ,sometimes i think she will wag her little bum off .:)

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
glad things are getting better. the twisted gut thing is only realy for big dogs not wee ones. you ment to feed the eirther and hour after exorsize

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
we do walk her at least an hour before or after food becos when my friend had mention the twisted gut thing i did look it up and actually going for a walk on a full belly did seem a little wrong so we changed her walk times

Attachments

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
I'd never heard of the exercise and feeding thing .. you would think it was something that was more well known... a friend of mines 1year old cockapoo had to have some of her intestines removed and it was touch and go ... the vet said that she should nt feed after exercise . I always had cos programmes I d watched said dont feed until after exercise so always fed as soon as back from walk when Wilf had obviously worked up an appetite , but had to change this ... would hate to think they were ill and thatyou could be to blame x

·
Registered
322 Posts
The twisted gut is more common in the larger deeper chest breeds.
Most likely to happen after eating and then exercise, the gut literally flips over and blocks a bit like a twisted hose pipe.
And its quite common, I have lost a doberman and dalmatian to this and they weren't young bouncy pups but 7 and 8 years old respectively. It happens so quick and causes such a strain on their heart.
To be honest its not something I have heard about in cockapoos but it doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Also it was part of the reason to stay away from large breeds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts