I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 8 week old puppy Harley is settling in really well. He's already ok with being left in his crate in our dining room (kitchen too small to leave crate in all the time) for about an hour while we go out and sleeps in it at night with only a little crying! We are letting him out for a wee every hour or so during the day and every 3 hours or so in the night and he isn't having accidents in the crate which is good.

I work as a part-time teacher 3 days a week and am already dreading going back to work at the start of January! I have family and friends that will be popping in to feed Harley and let him out but obviously that is going to be a big difference to us being here most of the time.

I would really appreciate some advice... what should I do from now till I go back to work to gradually get him used to it? Is it best to leave him in the crate between the times that people pop in? Or leave the crate in the kitchen with the kitchen door closed? Any tips from other working 'mums' would be great! Thanks...and happy christmas.

Paula x

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hi Paula.
Sorry but this reply is from a working "Dad".:D
You seem to be getting on very well just continue leaving Harley in his crate and build up how long you leave him. He may have some accidents in his crate when you go to work but as he gets older this will improve.
I would leave the crater in the dinning room as this is were he is used to being,and part of his routine.
Yes I would leave him in his crate in between people looking in on him.

For more tips check out our club site

http://www.cockapooclubgb.co.uk/index.html

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I think at this very young age they can feel more safe and secure in their crate rather than being alone in a whole room. Biscuit really whines and scratches at a door if I leave him in a room, just for a few minutes, but settles well if I put him in his crate.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I would cover the crate when you go out and you will just have to start as you mean to go on. When I had my terriers I was working office hours used to get up early to give them at least an hours play then in crate and off to work. good neighbour let them out a couple of times during day. Worked ok so long ago now difficult to recall exactly. They seem to adapt to what life throws at them, after all if you put a dog in kennels(personally I don't) they spend most of the 24hs cooped up and seem to survive.

P.S. I agree with the comment a dog feels more secure in a small space. They can get stressed if they feel they have a large area to protect if they are in a crate or playpen that is the only area they have to worry about. Good luck with whatever you choose. Just go for it, it will sort itself in the end.

·
Registered
80 Posts
When we got our puppy Stevie I only had 2 days leave and then had to go back to work, although I work part time and school hours so a shorter day.We also found she settled best just in her crate, if she has the run of the kitchen she tended to scratch the door.
My parents came at sat and played with her to start with, then popped her in crate and then I come home at lunch time, and then my parents came over again in the afternoon. She settled quite quickly, but I do try and make sure when I am home all the time during the holidays that she still has a bit of down time in her crate daily. I just worry that otherwise she will get out of her routine and then it will be tricky when term starts and I'm back to work.
Is your puppy's dad Archie? Stevie also came from Broadreach .
Good luck

·
Registered
31 Posts
I left my puppy in a room with the crate for two days and things were a little bananas. When I put her in the crate she was fine. She's already making it 7-8 hours. I'm a teacher and pushed the limit a bit during the week before break. Now I have two weeks off and won't leave her again for more than a couple hours until jan 9. She already sleeps with me, and now I get up earlier to let her play and run for an hour before I crate her. So far so good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When we got our puppy Stevie I only had 2 days leave and then had to go back to work, although I work part time and school hours so a shorter day.We also found she settled best just in her crate, if she has the run of the kitchen she tended to scratch the door.
My parents came at sat and played with her to start with, then popped her in crate and then I come home at lunch time, and then my parents came over again in the afternoon. She settled quite quickly, but I do try and make sure when I am home all the time during the holidays that she still has a bit of down time in her crate daily. I just worry that otherwise she will get out of her routine and then it will be tricky when term starts and I'm back to work.
Is your puppy's dad Archie? Stevie also came from Broadreach .
Good luck
Yes, Harley's Dad is Archie. Very cute! Thanks for the advice. I'm going to work out a plan for when my nieghbour and family need to come in to sit with him when I go back to work. Luckily I only work 3 days a week. Harley actually slept without barking last night! ALL night! (well, with a garden stop at 3am!). How old is Stevie now then?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Good going Harley!!! We got our first good nights sleep too. Half an hour of complaining when first put in the kitchen then apart from a minute or two when our house guest rolled in about 2am they were settled until 8am woo hoo!

It might be better for him to realise you go out for periods from the start rather than you be there for him 24/7 for a few weeks then suddenly you are gone all day. Better to start as you are going to go on. Ive made sure we leave the pup/pups in the kitchen for a least an hour a day while we go out so they dont think we are going to be home all the time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes, Harley's Dad is Archie. Very cute! Thanks for the advice. I'm going to work out a plan for when my nieghbour and family need to come in to sit with him when I go back to work. Luckily I only work 3 days a week. Harley actually slept without barking last night! ALL night! (well, with a garden stop at 3am!). How old is Stevie now then?
Stevie is 15 weeks now. We collected her on November 6th, her mum was Jiffy and dad was Archie.
Glad to hear you had a better night :D, a decent nights sleep makes all the difference. Would love to see some pictures of Harley, is he more wavy than curly coated at the moment?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.