I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am thinking of getting an american or working Cockapoo and have been searching the internet for advice, information and breeder recommendations, thats how I came across this site.

I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for cockapoo breeders, I'm in Leicester but am prepared to travel to get a healthy happy pup.

I have looked at some breeders websites and wonderered if anyone had any feedback on the following breeders:

Anzil Dogs - Merseyside
Jukee Doodles - Lincolnshire
Sylml - Lincolnshire

I'd really appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks

Julie

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Hi Julie. Jukee doodles are lovely people on this site and I'm sure they'll post a reply. There are quite a few people on here soon to be getting pups from them. You will see lots of posts from them. There are pups from all three of those breeders on this forum and I'm sure people will post about their experiences but the best thing is to visit and judge for yourself which feels right for you. They all seem to have good reputations. Good luck with your search.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
all 4 of my girls are from sylml 3 English Minis and an American Mini

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I'm on the Jukee Doodles waiting list currently, and am so thrilled that I have chosen them to get my pup from! :)

S xx

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Kendal

Is your american/mini smaller than the others? and what is her temperment like?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Sarah,

Have you been to visit Jukee Doodles, does it concern you that they have so many mummy dogs expecting at one time?

Julie

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Hi Kendal

Is your american/mini smaller than the others? and what is her temperment like?
when i got her i became a little obsessed with her size, for some reason i was worried she would be realy small compaired to them. yes overall she is slaller, but not by as much as i thaught, only about an inch smaller hed dad is the same as Echos, it may just be her but she is good at the back chat, and loves the sound of her own voice.

she is a little more stuborn than the others, but again that might just be her

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
No I am not concerned at all! They know what they are doing, and I am excited by the prospect of a big choice of pups :) I've not been able to visit yet, but will be going in a few weeks time. Other members have visited though and seem very pleased :)

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
The best thing to do if you have narrowed your search down to three breeders is to visit all three so you can see for yourself first hand. It's difficult to make a judgement based solely on websites and others opinions. Also some will be producing working crosses, some show crosses and some American crosses which can, generally, have differences in looks, size and temperament. When you meet the breeders and see the potential mums and dads you will find it's an easy choice and you'll then be confident about moving forwards. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sarah,

Yes, I spoke to Stephen on the phone and he does seem very nice, with some good tips. I will hopefully be able to visit them soon.

Do you prefer a boy or girl dog and why?

I hope all goes well with your new pup, I bet you can't wait. I'm hoping to get one in August.

Wishing you the best of luck

Julie

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Thanks Mandy, I think thats a really good idea.

Julie
At the risk of making your decision more complicated :confused: have you decided on which kind of cockapoo you are looking for?

Each of the three breeders produces different crosses. Jukee Doodles are all working x miniature poodle, SYLML has both miniature and toy poodle dads with american and show mums (maybe also some working mums looking at photos of the mums on their site) while Anzil's are show x miniature poodle.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
gypsys mum was a working cocker.
Thanks Kendal I thought so looking at the pics on their site but wasn't 100% sure. So they do the full 'range' with toy and mini poodles with show, american and working mums whereas the other two breeders are quite specific with either working x mini or show x mini.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Hi Julie

I know that we have spoken on the phone - and I thought you might find the below check-list useful:

I have copied my post below from another thread but I think it is relevant for you in your search for a healthy happy puppy:-

The choices you must make are whether to buy a rescue dog, a cheap 'back street' bred puppy, a pup from a hobby breeder (some are very experienced and some are not so) or from a licenced professional breeder with testimonials and a reputation to protect.

We ourselves always recommend that buyers do more than just surf the internet. We say go and view at least 2 if not 3 breeders. Never take your cheque book and be prepared to walk away to give yourself time to think rationally. Any reputable breeder will not do 'hard sell'. We understand that finding the right puppy is paramount to you being a happy owner at the end of the day, happy owners make happy dogs.

Prices do vary but remember there are a lot of costs involved in raising a puppy to the highest, healthiest standard.
Quality breeding mums carry a premium themselves.
Breeding dogs should have relevant health checks by vets.
Breeding dogs need worming, flea treatment and vaccinating.
Breeding dogs need good kenneling and vet care.
Breeding dogs need premium food, which costs.
Pups must have the best heated housing.
Pups must be wormed every two weeks from two weeks old.
Pups must be kept clear of fleas, ticks, mites and ear mites.
Pups need best quality weaning food.
Pups must be socialized before they are 8 weeks old.
Ideally pups should be microchipped and have their first vaccination before leaving the breeder at 8 weeks old.

The most important factor you need to concentrate on is which 'type' of cockapoo suits you and your lifestyle best so you must be sure what the adult cockapoo will be like. The purchase price should be secondary. In our experience you get 60% of the end result from mum. So you need to meet and like her too.

Happy hunting.

Stephen x

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi,
I would really recommend Debra Hutton she is on onlinebreeders. We have has our puppy for a week now she is working cocker mix and is brilliant. Debra is brilliant. Only thing she is in somerset so quit a way away.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
No I haven't purchased from any of the mentioned breeders, sorry I can't tell you what my buying experience was like...

Both my cockapos were bred by home breeders :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts