I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

New member here looking for some wise words, useful information and all round good chat.

Little bit of back ground information about myself. I had my first dog when i was youngster and he unfortunatly had to be put down at the ripe old age of 16. I was only around 7 when he passed but he was a great dog and have always missed him dearly. Im now thinking about getting my own dog but i obviously still have some reservations. Im 21, currently have a year of work, which involves a few part time jobs. One of them involves me being away for around 4-5 hours at a time but not ever day, and the other would allow me to take the dog with me and let it play in large, open yet enclosed areas. Next year, i have my final year of university and then after that i will be moving around 1 hour away to do my commercial pilots licences in which i can take the dog with me. After that i'll be hopefully flying commercially and in a stable job.

My brothers girlfriend has a cockapoo and i think that its the dog for me. I want a dog that is friendly, fun, playful, not too small but not too big and that doesn't moult.

What i was looking for was for people to tell me how hard it is to look after a cockapoo, how much time they need and if my situtation (as explained above) will allow for me to get my first dog.

I do really want a dog to look after and to take for walks, but obviously its not something you can just jump right into so i was wondering if anyone could find any reasons as to why i shouldn't get a little cockapoo.

Thanks for your time and help. Great forum!

Many thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Hi Mark & welcome! :)
Great choice! I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to get a cockapoo, they certainly aren't the most difficult dogs in the world, my Izzie is perfectly fine to be left in the house for a few hours or so, she is quite happy to just sit in the lounge window & watch eveyrthing outside & sleep :)
But obviously they do love their human company as well! But I am at university & there's not many days where I have to be in for too long, so that shouldn't be a problem, it's just the one part time job for 4-5 hours, that should only be a problem as a pup as the dog will need the toilet, but maybe you could get someone to check on the pup about halfway through?
When would you be thinking of bringing a cockapoo home if you decided to?
& have you been researching any breeders yet?
Also do you know what kind of cross, colour & *** you are wanting or don't you have a preference?

Laura :)

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Hi Mark and :welcome:
A cockapoo is a lovely, friendly, easy to train dog. However, I will offer you food for thought on your circumstances, as you seem to want to hear fors and againsts.:eek:

You're on the cusp of a change in your life, part time work and Uni are not forever. A lot is going to happen to you in the next 10 years, poss relocating, an unknown job offer, marriage. I personally think you need to wait a few years to see how your circumstances really do pan out. A dog is a huge commitment a bit like a child.

You didn't say wether you have family support especially in the long term.

Only you know wether a dog is a good idea, but can you think about it taking many years into account and not just the next couple. You're right to be thinking about it, it's a big commitment.

Sorry to sound negative.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.