I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even while researching cockapoos I don't remember ever coming across anything negative about them & the fact that they are a cross-breed.

Since getting Dexter I keep seeing arguments left right & centre !!! Has anyone seen the who-haa going on on the Dogs Today Facebook page - about half way down the page. Someone has asked a question about cavapoos & you'd have thought they were proposing world war 3 !!!

I simply didn't know this feeling existed & I'm quite perplexed by it. :confused:

·
Registered
330 Posts
absoulutly disgusting,the attitude of some people,started to read some of the posts,but stopped after a few. i have 2 pedigree dogs,and my 2 girls,and to be honest,they are all equal. xbreed dogs are just as good as a pedigree. some of those people on that forum should'nt be allowed to post coments like some of them have,disgusting.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've just read that thread, how sad that so many people who claim to "love" dogs are so angry and hateful towards other dogs that don't conform to their standards.

Surely, a dog is a dog and we them regardless of what they are? I love my scruff-bag puppy and wouldn't change for all the tea in China:)

·
Registered
340 Posts
I didn't know about this either! I've known what a cockapoo is for years now. I didn't see them often, but they were around even when i was a teenager. When we decided to get a puppy it waas one of the dogs I wanted to research. A couple of months ago when someone would ask me what kind of dog i was getting I'd say "cockapoo". Now when someone asks me what kind of dog she is I say "poodle and cocker spaniel cross". I'd just rather avoid any negative comments. Not that i was getting a lot of nasty comments, but a lot of snide remarks that were passive aggressive.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
The bad attitude towards Cockapoos and the other Cross breeds has been long running - it does stem from the "Purist Pedigree Elite" and the Show World - however they seem to enjoy the attack as opposed to getting their own breed in order !
Then there are those who are jealous (and I genuinely mean "jealous" ! - Yes we have heard from and seen many people who have met our dogs and loved them and fussed them and have cuddled them - only to whisper that it wouldn't go down well with their circle of friends !!!) and as such they will always have a niggle whenever they can - as it makes them feel better !!
In 5 years of breeding Cockapoos we have only ever felt the angst that purists have for our little Cross-breds in the past 6 months or so - for us (JD) in particular it started with a post to Jemima Harrison (Pedigree Dogs Exposed) last Summer about the litters we had. The fact that Jemima came back with nothing but positive comments about us helped - but it did not stop a few from trying to have a dig whenever they got the chance. There are lots who will tell of stories of a few that turn their noses up at Cockapoos - and some saying how silly the name is - but no-one can have a dig at the dogs themselves !
Even angst appears within the ranks of Cockapoo lovers too - but Hey - that's Life - but we are meant to be on the same side ?!

Me - I'm totally encamped in "Team Cockapoo" - and I Love them - so all we need to do is............

...................Spread the Love !!!! X

Stephen x

·
Registered
99 Posts
It is embarassing to be so naive

Like some of you have written, I knew nothing about the designer dog controversy before I got a Cockapoo.

Then I joined a dog forum. Stupidly mentioned Simon's breeder's web site. Next thing I know the breeder is getting threatening phone calls. Had to shut down the post.

I will never understand the hatred some people express toward some of the most lovable creatures in this world.

What very few of them seem to understand is that ALL of today's breeds have been cross-bred from wolves!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just had a quick look they certainly are a bunch of smug self-satisfied individuals. Some sweeping generalisations too. I read the post that said if you want a mongrel the dog rescue places are stuffed with them. In my experience dog rescues are full of staffies and retired greyhounds (nothing against them) but many dogs were not recommened for families with young children - fair enough but not much good if you have children and want a dog.

I shall ignore them on that website and enjoy my lovely little cockapoo.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
I haven't looked and don't think I will. I think some is ignorance, that a lot of people don't realise that most cockapoo breeders are just as dedicated as pedigree breeders to breed healthy, well adjusted pups. (more so the health compared to a lot of the pedigree breeds but plenty has already been said about that) I think lots of people think most cockapoo pups have just been bred as it seems like a fashion at the moment. When I tell people I am getting a cockapoo pup I do tell them how much research I did into various breeds and that the cockapoo has been proved to be a wonderful dog which is why they have been bread for over 50 years and that the hearing dogs people have been using them as they are great to train with a great temperament. No one has managed to say anything negative after that!! it is a shame though that I feel the need to educate people just so that they don't have the chance to say anything bad.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
I've said it before - but Pure Bred Show Pedigree people certainly let "Arrogance" overshadow "Ignorance" !

Their's is a world of dogs - created, directed and populated by people so blinkered that they don't actually care (and some don;t even know) what happens behind "closed doors".

The TV program "Pedigree Dogs Exposed" and the subsequent Part 2 ! - did open a few more eyes than expected ! - which for Cockapoos is a good thing - as the program kept harking back to the fact that those breeds needed to "go back to basics" ! The best thing about Cockapoo in GB at present - is that we are at the basics ! - hence why I have strived to set-up the "Cockapoo Club of GB" with such a devoted and as cross-sectioned a team as possible.

I'd even add - that without the desire to promote "Cockapoo" as the perfect pet - there would not be the ILMC forum - nor JoJo's blog - nor Embee's blog - nor the Cockapoo Owners Club !!!

Stephen x

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
There will always be those that believe there are enough pedigree options available that new crosses do not need to be created and those that always think that everyone should get a rescue dog. Sometimes it feels like that people refuse to take into account that not everyone can consider a rescue or that not everyones fancies one of the non moulting pedigree options. I looked into both rescues and pedigrees. I rejected the rescue option because I childmind and by wanting a non moulting dog I really narrowed down my options.

Since getting into the world of dogs I have been amazed at some of the angst but it has opened my eyes to a lot of what goes on and some of the discussions I have followed and joined in have been educational and interesting. You will always get some who just argue for the sake of it though.

It is sad that even in 'Cockapoo world' there is nastiness that goes on. You would think that with all the other problems we have to deal with people would not be so childish.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It's a shame how often these negative comments come up, I took Gaia to a grooming van to have her feet trimmed. The groomer (a red setter breeder) said to one of the dog trainers "they worry me these cross breeds", so I asked "what worries you?" (in a very polite way) "Oh, the lack of health checks etc". What a generalisation!! I assured her that I have copies of the test certificates for Gaia's parents, that she had been vet checked and pre vacinated and I had her 'pedigree' "Oh at least thats some thing", silly me forgot to ask what checks she did on her dogs:mad:

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
It's a shame how often these negative comments come up, I took Gaia to a grooming van to have her feet trimmed. The groomer (a red setter breeder) said to one of the dog trainers "they worry me these cross breeds", so I asked "what worries you?" (in a very polite way) "Oh, the lack of health checks etc". What a generalisation!! I assured her that I have copies of the test certificates for Gaia's parents, that she had been vet checked and pre vacinated and I had her 'pedigree' "Oh at least thats some thing", silly me forgot to ask what checks she did on her dogs:mad:
That's exactly it !!!
I do not think many (if any) do exactly know what their own Certificate says !!!

It's certainly a mad world - when Your dog is a "Cockapoo" - most likely bred from a Cocker and a Poodle - - - - and their's is "Pure Bred".........but could have been Mother to Son !!!!!

S x

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I've said it before - but Pure Bred Show Pedigree people certainly let "Arrogance" overshadow "Ignorance" !

Their's is a world of dogs - created, directed and populated by people so blinkered that they don't actually care (and some don;t even know) what happens behind "closed doors".

The TV program "Pedigree Dogs Exposed" and the subsequent Part 2 ! - did open a few more eyes than expected ! - which for Cockapoos is a good thing - as the program kept harking back to the fact that those breeds needed to "go back to basics" ! The best thing about Cockapoo in GB at present - is that we are at the basics ! - hence why I have strived to set-up the "Cockapoo Club of GB" with such a devoted and as cross-sectioned a team as possible.

I'd even add - that without the desire to promote "Cockapoo" as the perfect pet - there would not be the ILMC forum - nor JoJo's blog - nor Embee's blog - nor the Cockapoo Owners Club !!!

Stephen x
I hate to be the negative voice here but I am afraid that I am not sure that the Cockapoos 'basics' is adequate. Basic health testing if at all, mis-sold on hybrid vigour, being perfect for allergy sufferers and also being produced by puppy farmers and bybs out to make a few quid out of their pet. In addition to this there are too few stud dogs being used which will result in a narrow gene pool for further generations. Apart from the fact that we haven't (yet) had to resort to inbreeding and thankfully aren't under any constraints of 'breed standards', I don't see the breeding of Cockapoos is any better than pedigrees. There are good and bad of both types and just as I don't like to see Cockapoo breeders being universally slated I also think it is wrong to do this to pedigree breeders.

I have only just caught up with PDE2 due to my work load and it was truly disgraceful the way the dogs shown had been bred and how people within those circles bury their head in the sand at the detriment to the welfare of the dogs. However we mustn't kid ourselves that our Cockapoos are being bred perfectly because they are not. :)

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
I hate to be the negative voice here but I am afraid that I am not sure that the Cockapoos 'basics' is adequate. Basic health testing if at all, mis-sold on hybrid vigour, being perfect for allergy sufferers and also being produced by puppy farmers and bybs out to make a few quid out of their pet. In addition to this there are too few stud dogs being used which will result in a narrow gene pool for further generations. Apart from the fact that we haven't (yet) had to resort to inbreeding and thankfully aren't under any constraints of 'breed standards', I don't see the breeding of Cockapoos is any better than pedigrees. There are good and bad of both types and just as I don't like to see Cockapoo breeders being universally slated I also think it is wrong to do this to pedigree breeders.

I have only just caught up with PDE2 due to my work load and it was truly disgraceful the way the dogs shown had been bred and how people within those circles bury their head in the sand at the detriment to the welfare of the dogs. However we mustn't kid ourselves that our Cockapoos are being bred perfectly because they are not. :)

Sarah - "Here Here!!!" - but "basics' here is totally down to the fact that we are lucky enough to be entering into "Cockapoo" at ground level...........so what we say and do - will make a difference on-going.
We don't have generation after generation after generation to look back into - and I'd certainly suggest you undertake more in-depth research into "Hybrid Vigour" than you currently give it credit for.

And - I've never heard of a Puppy Farm / BYB making money out of their own "Pet" !?!

I'd hope that we would never resort to in-breeding full-stop ! So am not totally comfortable with your "yet" terminology !!!??!

F1 does appear to be high on people's choices (at present) - only when someone wants to breed their own "pet" does the F2, F3, F4 etc come into real effect - so again - "information" should help support that breeder (whether Home; Hobby or Licensed) - which is totally why the Cockapoo Club of GB has been set-up - to provide an Official Registry against which such pairings can be assessed !

I totally accept that a restricted 'stud' gene-pool could cause long term damage - and I equally accept that a "related stud" pool could make it smaller - but for once open your eyes and try and SEE what is already out there - it's a much much bigger place than those that post on here !!!!

Stephen X

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Sarah - "Here Here!!!" - but "basics' here is totally down to the fact that we are lucky enough to be entering into "Cockapoo" at ground level...........so what we say and do - will make a difference on-going.
We don't have generation after generation after generation to look back into - and I'd certainly suggest you undertake more in-depth research into "Hybrid Vigour" than you currently give it credit for.

I agree, and I have read into it but what I am referring to is when people have used it as an excuse not to health test. It does still happen and a lot of puppy buyers still believe this.

And - I've never heard of a Puppy Farm / BYB making money out of their own "Pet" !?!

Apologies, badly written sentence. That is what happens when you are trying to read an article on inclusion in children services and type about Cockapoos! I am not an expert on the lives of puppy farmers however I guess it is possible they could breed their pets ;) I mean they are pretty dreadful people so who knows what they lower themsleves to? :eek: I guess it also depends on your definition of a BYB! I have heard several but breeding a pet without health testing etc does seem to fall into this category!

I'd hope that we would never resort to in-breeding full-stop ! So am not totally comfortable with your "yet" terminology !!!??!

I am not saying that it should ever be an option :eek:! I am merely concerned with the use of prolific studs. We see so many Cockapoo owners on ilmc looking for a stud and its because there is such a limited choice for f2s. The same dogs come up time and time again. so unless you know local studs :D then you are relying on the internet adverts.

F1 does appear to be high on people's choices (at present) - only when someone wants to breed their own "pet" does the F2, F3, F4 etc come into real effect - so again - "information" should help support that breeder (whether Home; Hobby or Licensed) - which is totally why the Cockapoo Club of GB has been set-up - to provide an Official Registry against which such pairings can be assessed !

What Cockapoos are you registering in your official register? Is it just new puppies? CCGB approved litters? Is it members dogs? Are you going to register non members Cockapoos?

I totally accept that a restricted 'stud' gene-pool could cause long term damage - and I equally accept that a "related stud" pool could make it smaller - but for once open your eyes and try and SEE what is already out there - it's a much much bigger place than those that post on here !!!!
Thank you for the advice Stephen, I have always kept an open mind and open eyes :p, I apppreciate that I maybe on here a fair bit but I am aware that not all Poo related stuff is on this forum! However, maybe you would like to tell me what I am missing, I am intrigued and hate to feel like I am missing out on stuff! :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had a look at the comments on fb after reading this thread and, wow, there are some angry arrogant people out there.

Silly me. I didn't realise that there was a crossbreed hiarachy. I feel much better informed now I know that a dog is apparently only a "real" or "acceptable" crossbreed if it has either been bred indiscriminently or accidentally by people who didn't bother to neuter their pets or ended up in a rescue centre because it's previous owner couldn't be bothered to look after it. Of course those people who have their rescue crossbreeds don't chose them by looks or temperament or size do they? Of course they do, they make the same choices we do when choosing a dog. If they had to take the first dog offered to them by the rescue centre whatever it was and whatever problems it had, do you think as many of them would have rescue dogs? I don't!!

I for one am happy with the choice I have made to buy a cockapoo puppy which I think is the right one for me and hubby - if I meet any of these silly people when I am out with my dog and they say anything to me, I'm sure I will have a few responses up my sleeve and I will teach Chester to wee on their feet whilst they are making their silly statements!

I feel like I should sign this "Angry from Hornchurch"!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hello Stephen I have just read some of the posts on Facebook and I am disgusted at the vitriol against crossbreeds. In the past when I have had dogs only a "pedigree" dog would do but somewhere along the line things have changed - probably after watching a certain documentary. I myself always said that my next dog would be a cockapoo after seeing one on Animal Planet about twelve years ago. I never wavered in my choice to get a poo as I wanted a smart, person orientated dog. The "poo" haters almost imply that we have no free will and independent thought and that we are somehow duped into getting a cockapoo by cunning breeders. If there was no demand for cockapoos then none would be available and I imagine pedigree dog breeders are pretty upset that we are choosing "mongrels" over what they have to offer. I also feel that many old breeds are not so relevant in today's world as they are not used for the purpose intended for them. The cockapoo has no down sides as far as I am concerned, but then I am biased. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.