I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is everyone else having problems with grass seeds at the moment? The horrible spiky ones are just a nightmare. No matter how thoroughly I check Dylan's coat after a walk there are always some that I miss. Every time I groom him I find a few little matts and in the middle of the matt is a nasty spiky seed. This morning I felt something under his armpit, and there were about 4 that I had missed and they've dug in and infected. There is a small graze and a little lump. I think I've got them out but do you think I should cart him off to the vet again or is the lump likely to go away now? Also, any suggestions as to anything I should put on in the way of antiseptic?

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. After last nights debacle of a walk (just posted a thread on it). Millie was covered in those tiny grass seeds and sticky weed. Sticky weed is easy to get off, but those seeds. :eek:

My son and I spent 20 mins combing her through and took out countless seeds. We thought we'd finished and then discovered another load around her muzzle and eyes :eek: :eek:

Took Millie up to bed and found a few more around her toes :eek:

Luckily I just just pull them out and she's not too fussed. But I've decided to avoid that field for a while. I'll just have to find a few new places to walk.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Luckily so far we haven't had any trouble with grass seeds. Maybe there is something to be said for a less curly coat :cool: We've had the sticky weed balls though but they are fairly easy to get out.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Rosie was at the groomer's yesterday and then I took her for a walk and she got COVERED in those little velcro balls. I spent an hour and a half (The Appentice and The Appentice- You're Fired) picking and combing them out, so twice as long as the walk had taken. And because her hair is still so soft and cotton wool like, the groomer just scissored it again, so it's still long and they really get wrapped up in side it all. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
I think I would watch it for a day, i am sure the bump will go down now that the cause of the issue has been removed....just keep an eye on it and if it gets worse take a trip to the vet, do you guys have a product called bag balm out there???? it is actually made for cows utters ( ick I know) it looks like patrolium gelly, and is magical! it heals things really quickly, I have used it on myself before, and i was just thinking that it could also help dogs, as it is animal friendly...it heals things up quick!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I think I would watch it for a day, i am sure the bump will go down now that the cause of the issue has been removed....just keep an eye on it and if it gets worse take a trip to the vet, do you guys have a product called bag balm out there???? it is actually made for cows utters ( ick I know) it looks like patrolium gelly, and is magical! it heals things really quickly, I have used it on myself before, and i was just thinking that it could also help dogs, as it is animal friendly...it heals things up quick!
LOL - my daughter in Daytona cycles hundreds of miles each week and uses bag balm on her butt. Says its great! Haven't seen it here though.

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
They are such a pain aren't they but I find removing everything quite therapeutic (if the kids are not around!)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The round burrs aren't such a problem - I have a bush in my garden so Dylan is always covered in them but they are easy to remove. But it's the spiky ones that are so dangerous because they dig into the skin and cause infections and they are so hard to find. No matter how hard I search, I always miss a few. And they cause so much discomfort. The other day Dylan just stopped in the middle of a walk and couldn't carry on until I had removed them because it was hurting him so much.

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Poor Dylan hope he's ok. Only plagued with a grass seed that looks almost like grain at the moment, annoying but not too difficult, have nt had many of the spikey ones or the sticky ones .... yet... its if you dont manage to get them straight away they're just so easy to get caught up in the coat so easy to miss x

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I guess it's different seeds in different areas. Looks like we get off lightly with the grass balls. It must be to do with the fact that we walk around the sides of cornfields - lots of undergrowth but obviously no grass. Can you vary where you walk for a while, Helen?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess it's different seeds in different areas. Looks like we get off lightly with the grass balls. It must be to do with the fact that we walk around the sides of cornfields - lots of undergrowth but obviously no grass. Can you vary where you walk for a while, Helen?
They seem to be in all our regular walks - some places are worse than others. I'm getting obsessive about checking him now and he's starting to avoid me, because every time he comes for a cuddle I start pulling things out of his coat! Poor Dylan :(

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Oh dear, poor Dylan. I wonder how long the grass seed season lasts.

I just googled it to find out and came across this really interesting article on a vet site. http://www.marcthevet.com/2011/05/preparing-your-dog-for-summer-the-dreaded-grass-seed-2/ If you don't have time to read it, the recommendations at the end are:

Owners of all dogs, especially more vulnerable breeds, should make sure the fur on their paws, toes and around their ears is kept trimmed very short during the summer and autumn months. Sometimes even booties can be worn when going outside.

Every inch of your dog should be routinely checked after returning home from every walk and checked for grass seeds, as there are a few other places on your dog’s anatomy, including eyelids and lip folds, where they can get stuck and cause similar problems.

So if you notice any of the above signs, especially head-shaking or paw-licking or any other abnormality then please always call your vet asap for the most successful treatment outcomes.

It also says that it is not unheard of for a grass seed that enters a dog's foot, to eventually work its way through the whole body and end up in the heart!!!!! I'm definitely not going to moan about the velcro balls again.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ouch! That sounds awful. Dylan has a lump under his armpit now which I'm keeping an eye on to see if it goes down. Otherwise it's off to the vet again :(

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If you google it, there are recommendations for things to bathe it with and even homeopathic remedies, that people reckon will encourage the seed to be ejected. They might be worth a try, I guess!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Funnily enough my vet just called to see how Dylan was - (they give amazing service, always follow up a week or two after you visit) and I mentioned the lump in his armpit. They said that it was possible there was a seed inside it and to watch carefully because they had had one which travelled from the paw to the chest - so it's not just an urban myth.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts