I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Must say I'm very impressed with the forum and some of the great things that I've read so far on here.

We've decided to (hopefully) become cockapoo owners at the start of 2017, as want to wait for our youngest to become a little bit older and have that little bit more understanding of how to be gentle (He will be 3 by then!!)

I've read a couple of things around about Amercian Cockers being slightly more laid back and potential they could be better with Children. Is that something, I should look into more, or a little bit of a myth?

We're based in Herts, and have started contacting breeders with view to visiting to get a feel. In fact off to see one breeder tomorrow, so should be interesting?

Anyone know of any more breeders, I should consider contacting who are relatively local? Don't mind a journey for the right CP but would prefer to start closer and then spread the net further! Not fussed about male/female, coat, colour of the dog, just want to find a breeder we are comfortable with and will help us along the way with some good advice.

Is it just me or is starting out, as daunting as it is exciting??

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Welcome, it can be very daunting, but by researching the right dog and the best time frame you are showing that you are up to the task. It's the people who get their dogs on a whim who usually end up over their heads.:)

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
:welcome:
Do your research now - ask questions and I'm sure you will find the right pup for you in the end.
Don't forget the poodle side of the cross - bright, very intelligent, opinionated, energetic dogs .... the debate over which spaniel never comes to an absolute and definite conclusion! In any litter you will probably have a range of different temperaments - when you get around to seeing a litter ask the breeder to sum up the character of each pup.
You sound like the perfect prospective owner :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was great to actually get out and meet a breeder today, can see how easy it would be to get carried away and try and get something quicker than planned. The poodle and spaniel I saw had great temperaments, and a poo from a previous litter was a bundle of fun.

Of to see another potential breeder next weekend, be interested to see how they compare!

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Molly is an American cross and at the age of 6 is still generally described as totally nuts so I don't think i would be describing her certainly as laid back :)

Good luck with your search and well done for doing your research:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the kind words 2ndhandgal

Interesting what you've said about Americans, breeder we are off to see this weekend breeds them so we will see!

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Molly is an American cross and at the age of 6 is still generally described as totally nuts so I don't think i would be describing her certainly as laid back :)

Good luck with your search and well done for doing your research:)
Maggie is American Cocker/Miniature Poodle. She has perfected the 'art' of being a couch potato. :D

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
Haha so funny each 'poo is so individual
Ralph = English cocker x miniature poodle, mad for balls, socks, a little resource guarding, bossy & can't keep him out of the water, loves to swim & tries to be the boss! Never begs for food,
Ruby = american cocker x toy poodle! loves rubber and latex - will jog with me for hours, not protective over much (except rubber /latex toys) no resource guarding (unless a rubber toy from Ralph) so food orientated - she could be trained to be a star, a fabulous escapologist! Always over fences etc - Only ever paddles - never swims
Every poo Is an absolutely crazy loveable individual - good luck with your puppy search x

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So am I right in assuming there is no such thing as standard behaviour in a Cockapoo!!! Your replies certainly seem to imply that, giving the mix of breeding :)

In terms of behaviour the other thing that has been mentioned to me is that 'The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!' Would this be true in any of your experience? Has your CP taken any traitsfrom its parents?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts