I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wondering, as I know a few of you have said your dogs were quite full on with puppy biting but grew out of it - what age do you think you started noticing a difference? I'm afraid i'm wishing Dudley's puppy days away and feel bad about that but he does bite ALL DAY! when he is calmer he will stop if we tell him firmly leave but during the mad sessions he just growls and bites harder so its time out then, I so envy those of you with gentle cuddly pups, we can only get those cuddles late in the evening when he is more or less asleep! otherwise we get pierced ears and noses.

Thought I would bring this thread back to get an update on our pups and for newer owners to read to know they are not alone!! My Dudley still has his Gremlin moments but at 20 weeks is definitely calming down, dare I say it he may turn into Cuddly Dudley after all!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
we've noticed that the nipping has more or less subsided (bailey is 20 weeks today and has lost nearly all of his baby teeth) the only time he nips is when my 3 yr old daughter annoys him too much, we still give him lots of chews and he does tend to bite on layla my bulldog and anything else he can get hold of (but atleast it's not us anymore)...

How old is dudley now?

·
Registered
84 Posts
After getting really frustrated with the biting we took some advice we had been given and startled Eddie by shaking a plastic pot filled with dried beans if he started to bite us and it did the trick.We only had to use it a couple of times and then it was enough to say 'I'll get the shaker' to stop him in his tracks.He is ten months now and plays with the 'shaker' so I dont think we terrified him too much.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I noticed that Scarlett's biting got better when she started getting her adult teeth in (5-5.5 months). She still bites a little, but it is not as bad as it was, and it is worse when she doesn't get enough exercise (like this week because she just had her spay and wasn't allowed to do anything!)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Pepper certainly got better after her adult teeth came in too. I can't remember when this was but One day I realised she didn't do it any more. I hoped for a chilled out , friendly dog and the puppy stage was a big shock to me! It doesn't last long, the phases they go through pass really quickly and it's only when someone says something about a certain behaviour or you meet a puppy in the street that you realise that yours has grown up and it's stopped. Pepper was a REALLY bitey, feisty, puppy but is now an affectionate, cuddly, sweet girl now, and exactly the kind of dog I would've chosen, good fun, lots of personality but also just loves to cuddle up on the sofa hen we re at home :) so don't worry, yours will soon calm down too !

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was so reassured to read about Dudley and his biting as we are having exactly the same experience with our 12 week old Buddy. We havent had any puppy experience and really didnt expect the continual biting-expecially when it is directed at us. We have tried all sorts of tactics but most of them seem to wind him up even more. I even brought some 'pet corrector' spray and it does shock him into letting go of my trouser leg but he straight way comes back for more!! I dont want to wish away his puppy time too but am so looking forward to the biting to end.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Me too!

Daisy is 13 weeks old now, and is a biter, much worse when she is excited. She loves strangers though they get licks. My husband and I get the bites!! We tried the loud noise - made her worse. Giving her a toy works as a distraction for a short time. My 3 year old grandaughter wears wellies all the time when she is at my house because Daisy loves her feet. Really hope it does stop soon. Does anybody have an older dog that is still biting?

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[. Pepper was a REALLY bitey, feisty, puppy but is now an affectionate, cuddly, sweet girl now, and exactly the kind of dog I would've chosen, good fun, lots of personality but also just loves to cuddle up on the sofa hen we re at home :) so don't worry, yours will soon calm down too ![/QUOTE]

I hope so, it sounds like Pepper was the same so here's hoping, I too wanted a soft cuddly dog, my husbands choice would have been a border terrier but I decided I'm not a terrier person as they are usually quite feisty and bitey - ha ha! well Dudley will be 5 months at the beginning of July so I can hope for a lovely summer hols with him - then I guess adolescence will start!! Thank you sallyhoneypot and jane13 - its good to know we are not alone!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yes, hang in there guys, it will pass. I thought we got a monster puppy first time she started to bite/mouth/growl/snarl.....I had no prior experience with dogs and this came as a big shocker to me. Luckily I found this site and my friend who's had dogs all her life were tremendous source of support for me.
Stela is 6 months has all her adult teeth in place and she is so much better....of course there are other issues now - testing the limits like jumping on the couch when she is not invited or not coming when called but I am hoping this too will pass with some work and training.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thankyou everyone for the reassurance. It has helped so much knowing that or 'little biter' Buddy is not the only one. Dudley and Daisy sound really similar to him!! We are now trying to relax more when he has his mad moments and this seems to have helped a bit. Just hope we can all survive this biting stage-even if our clothes and furniture dont!!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Quick update-Buddy just turned into a gremlin again. My daughter has a lovely big hole in her favourite jumper :( !!!
Do you have a crate you can put him in when he gets too bitey...(a bit of time out wont do him any harm)
Give him something to chew on, they spend alot of time chewing at this stage you can also give them an old frozen knotted tea towel (as suggested by kendal) it really helps..

Another suggestion is to hold his mouth shut for a couple of seconds and shout NO really loudly(it worked for us) xx

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The holding the mouth shut thing doesn't work on Dudley, still here's hoping in just a couple of months we'll be saying what wonderful gentle puppies Dudley, Daisy and Buddy are and we'll be telling owners of younger gremlin pups not to worry as they will grow out of it!! (I like to be optimistic).

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeay, thought I would update and say that FINALLY Dudley is definitely starting to calm down, in the mornings I get at least 10 mins of him snuggling up to me enjoying being stroked before I feel his teeth (ok yes he still uses them a bit), in fact I would say he probably has about 2 or 3 Gremlin moments a day for no longer than 10-15 mins instead of the 10-15 times a day! How are the other little Gremlins doing from original thread?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Dudley sounds like Mollie! She is a bit of a nipper - occassionally biting harder. Usually more so with my daughter who is 11, but if I am honest I think that this si because of how she plays with her. Very excitaing play which Mollie responds to by biting. Don;t think she realises when Jessica wants a snuggle!
Mostly more biting in the morning ... by afternoon calmed down a lot. then biting again when people come in from work and school - excitement. She can be redirected with a toy but will try to return for a nip. Keep biting Jessics's socks too!
She is 10 weeks old (Mollie that is - not jessica)!!

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Sorry laughing about the Gremlin pup topic :)

All dogs are different, therefore have different energy, respond better to differing training methods .. but one thing they all do is be puppies then grow up lol ..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just wondering, as I know a few of you have said your dogs were quite full on with puppy biting but grew out of it - what age do you think you started noticing a difference? I'm afraid i'm wishing Dudley's puppy days away and feel bad about that but he does bite ALL DAY! when he is calmer he will stop if we tell him firmly leave but during the mad sessions he just growls and bites harder so its time out then, I so envy those of you with gentle cuddly pups, we can only get those cuddles late in the evening when he is more or less asleep! otherwise we get pierced ears and noses.

Thought I would bring this thread back to get an update on our pups and for newer owners to read to know they are not alone!! My Dudley still has his Gremlin moments but at 20 weeks is definitely calming down, dare I say it he may turn into Cuddly Dudley after all!!
Yes Buddy has calmed down alot too. When I read your initial post I was so relieved that I was not alone having a little gremlin! Buddy is now 4 months old and calmed down so much. Like Dudley he still has his moments, is into everything and can be a little devil but we are getting more cuddles than bites!! It really does get better :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.