I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
sounds good that they are into dematting dogs rather than stripping them down. they sound ok, what are they charging?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
The most important thing is to find a groomer who will listen to and respect what you want. And for you to be clear in explaining what you want

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Looks fine but whenever I look at before and after shots from groomers I often prefer the before look!!!!!!!!!

I would start by asking them to do a very, very light trim or tidy especially since at one point you seemed to be thinking about keeping her quite long and shaggy. Then you can gradually work towards a cut you are happy with.

Take some pictures so they know what you want.

Looking at what they have done to the Tibetan Terriers they seem to do the head/face very squared through the ears and beard. I suppose that's the kind of cut that type has?

Make sure you let them know if you like the shaggy, scruffy look or you may end up with a 'Millie the miniature poodle' look which is what happened when I took Flo.

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Looks fine but whenever I look at before and after shots from groomers I often prefer the before look!!!!!!!!!

I would start by asking them to do a very, very light trim or tidy especially since at one point you seemed to be thinking about keeping her quite long and shaggy. Then you can gradually work towards a cut you are happy with.

Take some pictures so they know what you want.

Looking at what they have done to the Tibetan Terriers they seem to do the head/face very squared through the ears and beard. I suppose that's the kind of cut that type has?

Make sure you let them know if you like the shaggy, scruffy look or you may end up with a 'Millie the miniature poodle' look which is what happened when I took Flo.
the tibeten is the clasic tedy cut used on lahsos tibetans sonm bearded collies etc.

remember the fluffy poodle ness goes down, if im honest i like having the fuffy poodle look for a couple of days.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I guess the next step is to go and see them. I don't know about their prices - that's the one bit of information they haven't put up, isn't it?

Mandy - I like your advice about working up to a shorter trim. Yes, I was hoping to keep her long, but my head keeps telling me she'll be happier in the summer with short hair. I guess if I start now, I could build up to that!

Poor old Milly - I am going to specifically point to her picture as an example of what I don't want! I don't mind a bit of fluff and I understand about the drying, but a cut like that would make Rosie look like a different dog!

Did you see the picture of the wet cat? Love it!

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Yeh i thought that about the tibetan terrier, although she's cut the poodle very well not too short, like others have said just be clear in what you want, pictures will help ... but it will grow back . Wilf is always more spritely when he's been groomed... good luck x

·
Registered
720 Posts
Looks good, And a good groomer will listen to what you want (I wish hairdressers did the same mind you that was when I had hair).
We have Poppy groomed about every 3 months and she is cut quite short all over including her face, not to everybody's taste.
The groomer keeps a record card for all their dogs so she looks the same each time. Shes been going since she was about 16 weeks old. first couple of times it was just for a wash to get her used to the shop and being handled by someone different now I think she likes to go just for the pampering.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Poor old Milly - I am going to specifically point to her picture as an example of what I don't want! I don't mind a bit of fluff and I understand about the drying, but a cut like that would make Rosie look like a different dog!
This is Flo with her poodle cut - I think it was the really squared off ears that bothered me. She has a kind of pityful "what did they do to me" look about her.

This is how she looks now I do it - it can look a bit rough and ready at times (like she's been playing with Edward Scissorhands) but I just about manage to keep her tidy but scruffy (if you know what I mean) by home grooming.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts