I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Golly I can't believe the day is about to arrive. I booked into the one day 'Groom your own dog' course at Merrist Wood back in April! We are told to bring whatever we use at home to groom our dogs (just a metal comb for me then! :eek:) and to wear appropriate clothing (wellies if we have a large dog!). I am so looking forward to the day ......but I'm quite nervous too. During the last day course one poor girl got herself into a right state as she managed to take a chunk out of her dog with the clippers! :eek: Brace yourself Rufus!

Colin is also on the course with angel Betty. We'll endeavor to get some before, during and after shots (if we're allowed) and post a full report sometime over the weekend.

Wish us luck!

Karen xx

· Registered
368 Posts
Yes, best of luck. I did a weekend grooming course a couple of years ago when I got Alfie (bichon) Was exhausted at the end of it - on your feet all day, we didn't even get a proper break and had to sit on the floor as there weren't any chairs. Tutor was great though - I take Alfie to him for tidying up what I've done. :eek: Will be interested to see how you get on.xx

· Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What a full on day! Utterly exhausting but so fantastic. Dinah, the tutor, put us completely at ease and very much encouraged us to .....just have a go and experiment! I wondered at one stage if she was going to be a bit of a 'doodle basher' but I think the point she was trying to make was the fact that there really is no 'blueprint' for grooming the doodles. She did show us a matted fleece from a Labradoodle that had been in a few weeks previous. The breeders had apparently told the new owner that they did not need grooming until they were a year old! :eek:

Rufus was a bit grumbly at times and so had a muzzle put on him for a short time ........however, those grumbles were nothing like the stand he took when I tried to cut his toenails! I had thought that they had not been cut the last time he went to the groomers ......now I think I know why!

Having taken my camera along with me, I am ashamed to say I did not take any photos whilst there. The day was just so full on. Here are the before and after shots of Rufus in my garden.

Before

After

Bother! Just noticed two little sticky up bits on his head! ......must be the breeze ...Lol

Not the biggest difference looks wise as I am maintaining his coat rather than doing something dramatic with it. I do keep Rufus on the shorter side which I find very practical and easy to manage.

Betty was an absolute sweetheart and did amazingly well considering she is still such a pup.

Interestingly two of the guys doing the course had come back for a second time. They had enjoyed it so much last time and felt they still had more to learn. I can see where they are coming from.

I would recommend the course. Dinah has given us her direct line phone number and has said that she is there for any support post course which I thought was a lovely touch.

Karen xx

· Registered
2,590 Posts
WOW Rufus looks gorgeous! He's a very pretty doggy :D & Such a lovely colour :) but job well done Karen! Izzie is impossible :( She is starting to matt & is so difficult to brush to get rid of them :/ Should maybe buy her a muzzle so that she can't bite, but then I couldn't feed her treats to keep her nice haha.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.