I Love My Cockapoo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh I am hopping mad!
After all the talk of grooming, and watching Julia's videos, I thought I'd have Phoebe groomed, dematted, and clipped around the the more tangly areas, then I'll start building up my kit and practice on her before I have an adult 'poo coat to deal with! I took her to the vets (as usual) and left clear instructions that I wanted her legs and underbelly shorter, but back left longer.....
...... picked up my poor working cocker spaniel that has something called a fringe and skirt :eek: to say she looks stupid is an understatement, and as for practicality - the long bits are the bits that mat, get soaked and sandy/muddy - legs, underbelly, bum and she has been scalped on her head and back. Her ears have been cut so they stick up like a Cavaliers! Oh, and you can see the lines of the clipper blades!
:mad: Now I have to wait for the groomer to call me back....
Well, it will grow again, but poor Phoebe has no coat to keep her warm as the weather is turning...I'm going to have to clip off the rest of the hair on her legs before she can be seen out in public!

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Don't worry Ali, it grows back really quickley, believe me I have given Weller a few embarrassing cuts before now;)
I am sure your groomer will have advice to get her looking a bit more respectable!!
Sounds like they have given her a standard cocker style:eek: looks nice on a cocker not on a poo x

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Oh no - I've been putting off having Lolly groomed as I'm worried I won't be able to/know what to ask for clearly enough but I can't put it off much longer as her fringe is covering her eyes. I'm even more scared now!! :eek:

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't worry Ali, it grows back really quickley, believe me I have given Weller a few embarrassing cuts before now;)
I am sure your groomer will have advice to get her looking a bit more respectable!!
Sounds like they have given her a standard cocker style:eek: looks nice on a cocker not on a poo x
She is a cocker!
I have now spoken to the woman who did it, it appears that the receptionist did not relay the message correctly ( or the groomer didn't pay attention) so, she'll take the "skirt and feathers" bits off tomorrow. I'm still cross, because I usually have her coat scalped due to not grooming her properly, but I've been trying really hard and she still ends up with no coat :(

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Oh No......what they have given you is a standard show cocker pet clip. I'd be livid too. You think it looks stupid on a working cocker...you should see it on a Cockapoo...We are looking after Wysi at 5 months old he arrived back her with a skirt :eek: I can't bring myself to show him to anyone :eek: J xx

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Ah Ali after all your hard work ....scalped Mable yesterday she was limping and her legs were really long so I cut the leg that she was holding up partly so I could see but thought she'd be off to the vets and that they'd clip it anyway... but after a rest she's been fine so had to scalp the others... skinned and rat springs to mind :D

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Oh no Ali how annoying,im dreading getting Buddy groomed my friend has given me a number of a groomer that comes to your house i actually think i'll be stood there looking over her shoulder all the time making sure she does it right .Think im gonna print off a picture to show ,maybe that might help??
At least it will grow back ,poor thing though its turned really cold lately.

·
Registered
Obi, Roo & Poppy
4,159 Posts
Oh Ali, sorry to read they messed up Phoebe's coat. I'd be mad too! I guess it will grow back but that doesn't help much right now. How about a coat for Phoebe?

Your story has helped me decide I'm going to learn to groom Obi myself. I've just ordered a 1.5" guard for my Wahl clippers. He needs to go a lot shorter now in order to allow all his bald patches a chance to grow and catch up.

Clare
x

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
Oh My goodness...that is awful!!! I am sorry Ali!

Clare, I am sure Obi would love a shorter coat right now anyways, not as much grooming...I am sure he has been poked and prodded enough for a while.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Oh no! I have heard so many stories like this and it really scared me and I put off having Pepper trimmed for a long time. My friend has a lovely (or had a lovely curly Cockapoo) she sent him to the groomers for a 'trim' and when she went to pick him up she was met by what looked like a black Bedlington Terrier. He had been shaved from the end of his nose to the tips of his toes and all his pink skin was showing through! The groomer said he was matted and there had been no choice. Poor puppy laid in his basket feeling all naked for a few days and the kids all cried :( He has finally grown back after a couple of months.
I then heard of a lady that came to the house and she was fab. I expected her to tell me to go off and busy myself but she didn't she told me to watch and tell her what I wanted. She used thinning scissors and took a lot of the weight away but Pepper didn't actually look any different which was just what I wanted. We have had to have her shorter this time as she had got matted, even after a lot of brushing and we've needed to start again but she kept her legs and her face nice and her body is growing back fast.
Hope they get Phoebe how you want her and she grows back really quickly :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
We decided that we (I) would groom Gaia, so I went on a one day grooming course and really enjoyed it. The tip I was given was to carry a slicker brush in your pocket and use it when out walking if they get caught up in anything. Of course for me this is all still theory ........... can't wait to try it out;)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Groomer here!
Take pictures to the groomer of what u want, then you can be sure there is no miscommunication.
Before you leave the dog, talk about the various lumps and matts across the dog and discuss what you want.
If you don't the groomer will do what is best for you dog.
And personally, as with all things, go by recommendation, not just by price and convenience.
It will grow back.
If you like anyone on here's dog, ask them how it was cut an we will help.
Make sure you get info such as
Comb attachment size
Ear length
Beard size

By the sounds of it you asked for everything you wanted but it was ignored. Always always make sure your groomer checks the dog in your presence.

Adam

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Also be very aware of those one day courses.
I went on one with my mother in law....
Ended up upgrading it to a twenty day course, gave up work, done some exams and bought a shop!
Like I said watch out lol
This Adam is exactly my plan of action......................just costs so much money, can't affoed it at the moment:( Did you do the course at Chiswick groomers?

·
Registered
78 Posts
ive just had izzy cut today all her lovely curls gone i wanted her a bit shorter but she's ad it all lopped off, she had a few matts thats why i took her. it will be sadly missed i love her long... and shes no coat to keep her warm now the weathers getting colder looks like a fluffy gillet for izzy bear.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Oh dear sorry hear it all went wrong!! :( ive only had wispa done once by a groomer and now i do her myself every 4/5 weeks, its a lot easier than you think, you may have 1 or 2 mishaps but it grows back! lol be brave and give it a go. :twothumbs:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Shared Adam's comment about one day course with my husband who I'm currently giving a Bowen Treatment, he nearly fell of the couch laughing, :D

·
Registered
8,610 Posts
Sue surely you could incorporate Bowen treatment and dog grooming from the same establishmnet lol... my husband has had a few sessions for his back and held off having to have a back op for quite a while .. he was walking like an old man pror to the sessions x

1 - 20 of 41 Posts